What cell phone to get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Calvinandhobbs:
One more thing. If you travel alot, stick with a service that uses GSM

Except that for many of us that would mean ONLY being able to use the phone while travelling. There's no GSM service anywhere vaguely near where I live and work.

What I'd kill for would be a multi-mode phone with both GSM and one of the dino-tech standards widely available in the US. Or even analog.

mstevens:
Except that for many of us that would mean ONLY being able to use the phone while travelling. There's no GSM service anywhere vaguely near where I live and work.

What I'd kill for would be a multi-mode phone with both GSM and one of the dino-tech standards widely available in the US. Or even analog.
Same here. I have a totally seperate Nextel plan with an i930 for international stuff.

Treo 650 here... I sometimes browse the web, continuously use four email accounts, create and edit Word, Excel and PowerPoint files, run Palm VPM deco software, gas mixing software, dive log books, scheduling calendar, contacts, etc and it syncs with my Mac. If you're tough on your phone, I recommend a skin case like this one: http://store.treocentral.com/content/accessories/4-54--368.htm I've tried a few cases but this one works the best for me. It's not as large as the photo makes it appear to be.

After using a smartphone, I'll never go back to a conventional mobile phone.

PerroneFord:
sony/ericsson (never again)

I wholeheartedly agree. I once had an Ericsson (pre-Sony) and it stopped working literally the day after the warranty gave out. Sucks when I still had another year on the contract. It was a deal done through my work, and a lot of my co-workers had their Ericsson phones die out prematurely as well.

In terms of rugged reliability, I can't fault the Nokia's. I've had perhaps a dozen of these, and only one has given me problems (a 6100 -- screen stopped working after leaving it in a hot car all day). I like the fact that the menus are consistent from model to model, and up until recently many accessories such as chargers and earpieces are interchangeable even if the phones were made years apart. Nokia recently introduced models that use different plugs than the older models, but I understand that adapters are available that let you use the older accessories.

mstevens:

Except that analog mobile phones are going the way of the dinosaur. Few carriers still offer it. I suspect that one day, the FCC will expect US cell phone carriers to totally discontinue analog service, the way TV broadcasters are supposed to in a few years.

Since I travel abroad at least once a year, I went with T-Mobile due to their extensive world-wide network, particularly in Europe. I used to use a Siemens CF62T but recently switched over to a Nokia 6101 which I like better.

Another treo 650 user here. Love it and it makes me look all business like. :14: The functions are awesome and the games keep me busy while I wait for the metrorail. :) But if you aren't a big ipalm user and won't utilize all the functions I don't see any reason to get it.

I also hate sony-ericsson phones cause they are so SLOW at texting compared to other brands I've used. If you're a big texter, Nokia is the best phone I've used for that.

Back
Top Bottom