What cell phone to get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teknitroxdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It's almost time for me to get a new cell phone, and I'm wondering what to get. Right now I've got an LG AX5000 which is nice, but the screen is poor on it. I'm pretty much split between a V3c Razr or some kind of smartphone.

I like the Razr because it's slim and smallish, with a decent screen. I have heard that the menu sucks, however. My main reason for a decent screen is I use my phone a couple of times a week to check the NEXRAD radar and satellite. That's why I like the smarphone idea: a large screen.

What do you guys recommend? My provider is Alltel, which I believe uses CDMA.

My boy-child has a Razor and sometimes I use it. No problems with his, but some of his friends have screens that have failed pretty early. (maybe consider the insurance)

My girl-child has a Sidekick and I am not a techie personal at all...hadn't gotten a new phone in a couple years. WELL, watching her google in the car, in the stores....I had to have it. I have "The V" which I like a lot because it ISN'T thin and so it is easier to hold and the volume speakers are terrific. It looks like a regular phone, then it flips open long wise and reveals a bigger screen and a full key-board. Typing with your thumbs is easier than the tiny buttons on many phones. No more 411 calls...we just google maps, numbers, etc.

The feature I like the best is if I take a call while driving, I flip it open, the speaker goes on and throw it on the seat...no headsets, etc. When flipped open, the screen is big. Also holds music...don't even use the I-pod much unless on the treadmill, etc. Has a card like a camera, can store images, etc.

The newest version is thinner and called the Z, I think.

Don't sign a two year contract...they try that but most companies will do one if pressed. And if really pushed they will go month to month (they just do not volunteer this, and they won't throw in the phone) I negotiated for about two hours, I am ridiculous...but four cell phones so it is a a big comittment. (hate comittments)...GRIND THEM. (be aware that if they throw in a second phone "free" that this usually commits you on a second contract)

OE2X:
I don't know if it's an option for you to get the new Motorola Q phone or not. It is smaller than a Blackberry and has a large screen.

I use mine for emailing, texting, viewing the web and yes to actually make phone calls.

http://www.motorola.com/mdirect/q/index.html?motid5=Google_Brand_Motorola_Q
That's actually one that I was looking at. As far as I know by reading, it will work, as it is a CDMA phone. How is it for carrying in your pocket or on your belt?

As for service plans, no worries on that as this is a company phone. (i.e. Not my problem :D )

Also, let's say I find a CDMA phone I like (such as the Moto Q). Alltel does not sell this phone. Can I buy it from 'somewhere' and use it with Alltel's network?

Not sure about your service provider. With mine I had no problem as they sell the phones.

Carrying it is okay... The leather belt holder leaves something to be desired as the buttons can be easily hit. In the pocket - shirt or loose fitting pants - no problem. It is super thin. You will have to charge it once a day if you are using it a lot. For viewing SB it's a bit labor intensive and can take a while to load. The software in it has issues with flash as well.
It does have a modest camera, which with the internet capability allows you to upload the photos - nice feature if you are into that sort of thing.

I'm happy with mine. It certainly makes texting way easier.

I've had nokia, motorolas, sony/ericsson (never again). I have a Razr now. Love it. But I don't fool with all the crap. I make calls, get calls, and occasionally set the wakeup alarm. I've taken a few pics with it when I was forced to.

I hear it does all kinds of stuff. Does everything I need, sounds great, works. Simple enough for a non-gearhead like me to use.

I'll buy something similar when I get tired of this one... maybe 5 more years.

I work with Mobile Technology and in my opinion, there's no competition to a Nokia for ease of use. I would personally choose one of the N series (http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/expectedsoon ) phones coming out soon. Another option is to get the Palm Treo 650 (Palm OS), which has a really nice screen. I am not a fan of Motorola Q or Razr. They are really nice looking, but too much of a pain where the software is concerned. On a technology note, look for a phone that runs at least (2.5G) EDGE, if not (3G) WCDMA technology. By the end of this year, most big cities will be running 3G service, which is equivalent to your home broadband speed.

What is a pain about the software on my Razr? It rings I answer and talk. I push numbers, they show up, I hit send, I talk. Works great!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom