What can I learn from PADI Tec 40 course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But I wasn't on a tec live aboard, so that is a moot point, as is what you or I consider "deep air". Personally, anything within the recreational limit is not deep air to me, getting to the 50m mark, yes, I start to think of it as deep(er) air.

This is soooo far of the topic it is unreal.

Yes, the Tec 40 only covers up to 50% but look at the limitations of the Tec 40 course. 10 min maximum deco (based on back gas). The EANx 50 is added to provide a more efficient off-gassing process, but the dive is planned to deco on the back gas. Accelerated deco, but for the full time planned for air.

10 mins planned on air, actual requirement on 50% < time on air, actual time on 50% = time planned for air (10 mins). How is that a bad thing?

But I wasn't on a tec live aboard, so that is a moot point, as is what you or I consider "deep air". Personally, anything within the recreational limit is not deep air to me, getting to the 50m mark, yes, I start to think of it as deep(er) air.

This is soooo far of the topic it is unreal.

Yes, the Tec 40 only covers up to 50% but look at the limitations of the Tec 40 course. 10 min maximum deco (based on back gas). The EANx 50 is added to provide a more efficient off-gassing process, but the dive is planned to deco on the back gas. Accelerated deco, but for the full time planned for air.

10 mins planned on air, actual requirement on 50% < time on air, actual time on 50% = time planned for air (10 mins). How is that a bad thing?
So then apply this as a PADI Tec 40 Certification Graduate:

Is that all you're gonna do, this bare minimum? What's the use of this cert course then for the traveling tech diver?

It would be better time & money spent for a complete all-inclusive combined Advanced Nitrox/Deco Procedures with Extended Range w/ normoxic Trimix option course, than going through the PADI Tech Deep Air/single Eanx50 deco gas progression to full Trimix/50% & 100% O2 deco certification.

What if this is all a student wants to do? Not really delve deeply (no pun intended) in the world of tec, but merely wants a bit more of an option with regards to staying within recreational limits.

How many dives would it take someone to complete AN/DP with ER with normoxic TMx? I am asking as a genuine question.

What if this is all a student wants to do? Not really delve deeply (no pun intended) in the world of tec, but merely wants a bit more of an option with regards to staying within recreational limits.
Then I would recommend a Triox (hyperoxic Trimix) course with 100% O2 Deco gas allowance like UTD's Tech 1:
Technical Diver 1 (Tech 1) - Unified Team Diving
How many dives would it take someone to complete AN/DP with ER with normoxic TMx? I am asking as a genuine question.
An equivalent of AN/DP with Extended Range normoxic Trimix rating would be UTD's Tech Gold, with Tech 1 & 2 as prerequisites :
Technical Gold Class - Unified Team Diving

Is that all you're gonna do, this bare minimum? What's the use of this cert course then for the traveling tech diver?

It would be better time & money spent for a complete all-inclusive combined Advanced Nitrox/Deco Procedures with Extended Range w/ normoxic Trimix option course, than going through the PADI Tech Deep Air/single Eanx50 deco gas progression to full Trimix/50% & 100% O2 deco certification.

Or maybe take Tec40, then Tec45 (upto 100% O2 for deco) then Tec50 which allows two deco gaes and use of Trimix in the last dive, there aways then Tec65 which allows normoxic trimix. Or just do TecDeep then Tec65 for a all-in option. In other words, it's basically the same as Advanced Nitrox (aka Tec45)/Deco Procedures (aka Tec40) with Extended Range (aka Tec50) w/ normoxic Trimix (aka Tec65) option course. Why the difference?

Or maybe take Tec40, then Tec45 (upto 100% O2 for deco) then Tec50 which allows two deco gaes and use of Trimix in the last dive, there aways then Tec65 which allows normoxic trimix. Or just do TecDeep then Tec65 for a all-in option. In other words, it's basically the same as Advanced Nitrox (aka Tec45)/Deco Procedures (aka Tec40) with Extended Range (aka Tec50) w/ normoxic Trimix (aka Tec65) option course. Why the difference?
The major difference with the UTD curriclum is the early introduction of hyperoxic Trimix 25/25 with single deco mix of either Eanx50 or 100% O2, instead of the more narcotic Air bottom mix and single deco mix allowance of only up to Eanx50 in the PADI Tec 40 course.

The UTD class progression utilizes Helium early in training to minimize work-of-breathing, less inert N2 slow tissue loading, and of course less cognitive impairment over the denser more narcotic Air bottom mix as used in the PADI Tec Course progression.

That's why they teach nuclear physics in kindergarten, before progressing to basic arithmetic. It's the clever way...it's the UTD way.

LMAO.

Quit advertising Kev.... it's so insincere... ""Go UTD!!!" wooohooo@!!!

That's why they teach nuclear physics in kindergarten, before progressing to basic arithmetic. It's the clever way...it's the UTD way.

LMAO.

Quit advertising Kev.... it's so insincere... ""Go UTD!!!" wooohooo@!!!
Fair enough & hello again Andy! Good to see ya back in the thread (and I was thinking you were going to append my Truk Gas Bill to your "Rogue's Picture Gallery of Extravagance") :D

Ok, didn't get an answer to how many dives, so had a quick look and it seems that for AN/DP (6 dives if done together, 8 dives if done as separate courses), Ex Range (could only find 100 minutes bottom time required over 4 days so guessing 3 dives), entry level normoxic (again, no number of dives stated nor any bottom time details, so will hazard a guess at 4 dives). That could amount to at least 15 dives, qualifying a diver to 60m using normoxic Tmx and up to 100% deco gas with no time limit stated on the deco.

Hmmm, let's see, what does TecRec progression look like..................what do you know, after 16 dives, a diver is qualified to 65m, using normoxic Tmx (presuming we agree 18% is normoxic), up to 100% deco gas with no time limit stated on the deco. Not to mention that a Tmx add-on is available at the Tec 50 stage.

Wow, remarkable.

Found info here, so if it is incorrect, blame TDI, not me. TDI basic and advanced nitrox, decompression procedures, entry level and advanced trimix courses with instructor Mark Powell

It would also help if you compared apples to apples. What is a person, following your suggested route, qualified to, after the same number of dives as the Tec 40 (4 dives)?

Last edited:

The major difference with the UTD curriclum is the early introduction of hyperoxic Trimix 25/25 with single deco mix of either Eanx50 or 100% O2, instead of the more narcotic Air bottom mix and single deco mix allowance of only up to Eanx50 in the PADI Tec 40 course.

The UTD class progression utilizes Helium early in training to minimize work-of-breathing, less inert N2 slow tissue loading, and of course less cognitive impairment over the denser more narcotic Air bottom mix as used in the PADI Tec Course progression.

I had no idea the better option of a "Advanced Nitrox/Deco Procedures with Extended Range w/ normoxic Trimix" was a UTD course :) The TMX25/25 option is there but really isn't needed for 99.999% of all dives, advanced penetration dives below 30m would be the exception. The argument against a single EAN50 decompression gas and increased N2 tissue loadings really don't add up for dives at 40m or less, in fact for deco dives at less than 40m (or 38m with TMX25/25) EAN50 would be the better gas for may occasions.

If shallow trimix is really the option someone wants to pursue it's probably better an even better option would be to do the Tech 1 courses with GUE - at least that way no 'innovative' sidemount manifold disaster needs to be considered? ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom