What can I learn from PADI Tec 40 course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They have similar outcomes. Most of it would be redundant.

i guess can someone help my with the advantages of ea class. I like the ide of getting the basic training through PDAI as that is all I know. THen doing that IANd/ from there. please help as I am getting overwhelmed and confused,

---------- Post added January 4th, 2014 at 11:59 PM ----------

Let me re- phrase this. If you had $1500 to get trained and certified and had to use all the cash. What whould you do? I am leaning towards Padi 40 andIANTD intro to adv tri

RDINK25: As a general rule-of-thumb, the quality of training is determined primarily be the experience, motivation and philosophies of the individual instructor.

Agencies are generally irrelevant, unless you have a specific philosophy/approach that you feel you must adhere to. Few, if any, novice divers have such a philosophy... and if they do, it's normally something they regurgitate rather than understand. Technical diving dogma is something that should evolve from experience, not vice-versa.

The best question you can ask, is simply; "who is the most reputable and recommended technical instructor within my area?" (...or area I am willing to travel to)

Also consider the benefits of training outside of only formal courses. Some instructors provide excellent mentoring/coaching beyond the confines of rigid course syllabus. For instance, take your entry-level course (i.e. Tec40 or Advanced Nitrox) then spend the remainder of that initial training money on personal coaching to develop a more refined skill-set.

Lastly, it is wise to have a clear idea about what you want to achieve through technical diving. Having clear goals helps to identify specific training needs. Where will you primarily use your tech certifications? In the short and long term? Cold/warm water, travelling, overhead environments, wrecks etc? Is there a depth range you need to dive to? Again, that relates to location etc...

---------- Post added January 5th, 2014 at 01:36 PM ----------

Why couldnt I do The IANTD advanced nitrox course and the padi tech 40? Or is that just overkill? From what I gather they both have the advantages?

A good instructor will teach you what you need to know, relevant to the level of diving you will conduct. They'll include stuff they feel is beneficial, even if it's not in the (minimum requirements of...) the syllabus. For instance, I teach 'Balanced Rig' principles on PADI Tech courses, even though it's not in the manual.

The minutiae variations between most agency syllabus are irrelevant if the instructor is knowledgeable... so there's no need for 'redundant training' if you are taught right in the first place.

Just avoid like the plague 'clone-tech' instructors who have too little breadth and depth of experience to do anything more than regurgitate the manual to you...

If I were you I would not fixate on course names or agencies. You should be focused on what you want the outcome to be. IMO padi tech 40 and adv nitrox do not equate, nor does takeing adv nitrox without deco procedures. If you are looking for an intro class than tec 40 or other intro fits the bill. A intro class is a baby step. If you want to extend your range and bottom time, other agencies offer courses that address that for an outcome. If you do not what you really want, than a skill evaluation by a tec instructor before you pay for anything would help you spend that money wisely. A GUE or Fundie approach may be another option.
To stay with any 1 agency is flawed logic. It closes your mind to other options that may suit you better. Trying to sort this out on SB is only fun for us, not you. Identify a goal and find the path to get there that suits you. Pick the computer up and contact some tec instructors near you and TALK to them.
Eric

Take the tec 40 course and a cavern course is also a great tool to have imo. Choose your best option by the reputation of the instructor, not the agency!! I did my tec classes with Off the Wall in SC and he is an excellent and thorough instructor and is PADI, TDI-SDI (irrelevant). He is a commercial diver and a tec diver for 17 years. I highly recommend a tec 40/intro to tech course with whatever instructor or agency you decide on. Good luck and be safe!!

To my mind, the biggest irritant about the tech-40 class is the requirement to do the deep diver card first.

To my mind, the biggest irritant about the tech-40 class is the requirement to do the deep diver card first.

Let me remove that irritant for you :D

"3. Certified as a PADI Deep Diver or show proof of at least 10 dives to 30 metres/100 feet."
PADI Tech Deep Instructor Manual V3.0

Let me remove that irritant for you :D

"3. Certified as a PADI Deep Diver or show proof of at least 10 dives to 30 metres/100 feet."
PADI Tech Deep Instructor Manual V3.0

I don't have access to the instructor manual, so I can only judge by what it says on their web site:

Prerequisites You must:
• Be a PADI Advanced Open Water Diver (or hold a qualifying certification from another organization)
• Be a PADI Enriched Air Diver (or hold a qualifying certification from another organization)
• Be a PADI Deep Diver (or hold a qualifying certification from another organization)
• Have a minimum of 30 logged dives, of which at least 10 dives were made with enriched air nitrox deeper than 18 metres / 60 feet.
• Have a medical form signed by your physician

Should I be concerned that the instructor manual and the PADI site don't agree on the prerequisites?

This is an issue for me, because I'm currently considering options for just exactly this sort of training, and deciding between classes from PADI, IANTD, and TDI can be difficult.

Should I be concerned that the instructor manual and the PADI site don't agree on the prerequisites?

Nah, it's just PADI trying to sell sand to Arabs and snow to Eskimos...

Tec40 immediately supersedes the Deep Diver course... and the Deep Diver provides virtually nothing of benefit to preparing for Tec40. It's an irrelevant course if you're planning to do Tec40 shortly thereafter.

PADI still want to sell that Deep Diver course though.... so the 'equivalency' must have been accidentally overlooked on their website :wink:

....or maybe they genuinely believe that Deep Diver is a fantastic preparation for Tec40... who knows? It's a crazy world.... :wink:

The prerequisites stated in the Instructor Manual are canon... those are the 'standards' that rule what instructors can and cannot do.... the website advert is just marketing, it doesn't set an instructor standard.

Any given TecRec instructor has the final say about whether they accept 'equivalents'... and at tech levels, they have the final say irregardless of whether prerequisites are held... they should assess the student and determine appropriate suitability for the course. It shouldn't be like rec-level training, slapping a credit card on the counter and buying yourself an attendance course to certification...

Personally, I'll tick PADI's boxes regarding prerequisites... but entry onto a given course is decided by the diver's ability, not the cards in the diver's wallet.

Last edited:
RDRINK25:
Looking to learn more about Deco and Dbl's. Not looking to get deep into Tech but just some simple basics. Is the the right course for me?
It is one possible right course. I won’t say it is ‘the’ right course or the ONLY right course, because I believe there are multiple ways to get to the same goal. But, Tec 40 is definitely one way to pursue an interest in ‘Deco and Dbls’, and by the end of the course you will conduct a decompression dive, you will be using doubles, and you will have learned some important fundamental procedures. Andy (DevonDiver) has provided quite a bit of good information to consider. But, there are a variety of options. I think Peter Guy gave a very good answer, early on.
peter guy:
a. Find a PADI instructor who is authorized to teach the "TecReational Diver" Distinctive Specialty (I think there are 3 so far!) and then take the course. It won't teach you about doubles (unless you want it) but it will help strengthen your skills to prepare you for the next level
b. Find a GUE instructor and take Fundamentals of Diving
c. Find a UTD instructor and take Essentials of Diving
d. Find a GUE/UTD/Cave trained tech instructor and take Intro to Tech
e. Since you live in Georgia (if I'm reading the info correctly) maybe go to N. Florida and take a Cavern course
All of these would be reasonable options. I would add the subsequently suggested IANTD and TDI courses to the list as well. I admit to a bit of favorable personal bias toward the TecReational Diver course. But, as Peter notes, it is not about doubles, per se, although it is in part about equipment, and it can be about doubles if you want it to be. Nonetheless, all of the suggestions are good, and it is hard to say that any one is clearly ‘the best’. And, putting aside all the nonsense, the chest thumping, the biased criticism of one agency or another, while there are exceptions, generally there are a number of good instructors out there for virtually all of these courses. So
waterpirate:
If I were you I would not fixate on course names or agencies. You should be focused on what you want the outcome to be.
I think this is very good advice. Find an instructor, irrespective of agency, who regularly dives double cylinders (backmount or sidemount), who regularly engages in decompression dives - they actually engage in what they are teaching - who can help you learn to conduct a decompression dive in double cylinders (and who conveniently located for you, and with whom you are personally compatible). That may take a bit of time. But, whether the course is PADI Tec40, or an IANTD course, is not as important as you accomplishing your learning goal.
RDRINK25:
Please help as I am getting overwhelmed and confused
Not surprising, that you are overwhelmed, given some of the posts in the thread. What you understandably see in threads like this are individual biases (I have my own, so I am not trying to suggest that I am somehow the only, supremely objective poster on SB), which necessarily influence the recommendations. In some cases, what is recommended is simply a reflection of the agency through which an individual trained, or teaches. That makes sense, I am very familiar with what one agency (PADI) has to offer, I know what can be accomplished with the available training. Others posting in this thread have experience with IANTD and can do the same in recommending other options. Nothing wrong with that.

In other cases there are legitimate differences of opinion, and individuals have come to conclusions based on thoughtful consideration of information and on their experience. That may contribute to the feeling of being a bit overwhelmed. For example, one difference that has come out here involves the early use of helium / trimix as a back gas, and another has to do with the extent of content in a particular course.
kevrumbo:
I don't like delaying the introduction of Trimix or two deco gas mixes (50% & 100% Oxygen) until PADI Tec50 (50m/166'):
I can see someone holding this view, it is thoughtful and clearly stated. I do not hold this view, myself. I do plenty of enjoyable (and, memorable) dives to 175 feet on air, with one deco mix. That works for ME, but it doesn't mean that a recommendation to do otherwise is wrong, just two views of what is best. Some people will insist that the colors are brighter, the dive more enjoyable, etc., on mix, and I am sure that is true for them. Taking one of kevrumbo’s recommendations to heart, I have even purposefully made repeated dives, to the same sites (e.g. the hangar deck on the O, and various NC coastal wrecks) and depths (to ~160 - 170&#8217:wink: on at least two (usually more) occasions, using air, or using mix on different dives. I cannot say that I have noticed any difference in the clarity of my thinking, or the color of the coral, the size of the marine life, etc. (Maybe I was so narc’ed on both mixes that it made no difference although I doubt that.) Yes, in the PADI course sequence, formal trimix training comes later, after Tec50. For some that is a limitation, for others it is not an issue:
kevrumbo:
it's better sense albeit more expensive to start using Recreational Triox through Trimix early in your tech deco course progression. You would then have a reference experience of expected "clear-headed" performance to compare against
ajduplessis:
IMO deep air training is vital before moving to any form of trimix.
Two reasonable, and differing opinions. Nothing wrong with that, either. Maybe, I am biased because I did deep air first, then added the use of trimix. I would not be unhappy if PADI decided to introduce the trimix training option earlier. But, helium isn’t THE issue for me. I have ready access to helium. I have the training to use it. I blend trimix, not only for my own gases, but for customers as well. I only pay ‘cost’ for helium, so it is probably a bit more affordable for me than for many. Nonetheless, I seldom use it unless I am going below 200 feet. I cannot make a case for the benefits outweighing the cost. That part has nothing to do with when it was introduced to me in my training in the past, it has nothing to do with the agency through which I instruct. It has everything to do with my personal experience, and conclusions drawn from that experience.

Unfortunately, you also see comments where the biases really seem to get in the way. In some cases, they are simply nonsense.
mikko ilari laakkonen:
The tec40 is also supposed to fill this same void. However most of the instructors are bad.
I imagine some are. But, the notion that ‘most are bad’ is silly – simply no basis whatsoever for the statement (including no summary of what is ‘bad&#8217:wink:.

In some cases, conclusions unfortunately seem to become obsessions, and turn into a ‘bone to pick’, and posters appear committed to making sure that their bone become the focus of discussion. For example, the issue of a balanced rig, and what is seen as egregious behavior on PADI’s part for allowing (or endorsing, whatever) unbalanced rigs becomes THE issue. And, even when other posters try to steer the discussion back to the original point of the thread
spc751:
This thread is about padi tec40. This course does not allow dives to 200 feet. Please keep your comments on subject. If you wish to complain about padi please start a different thread.
maniago:
Good god, this is not a thread about PADI bashing! Get off your soapbox.
. . . efforts are nonetheless made to return the discussion to the ‘bone’. Personally, I respect the advocacy of balanced rigs, but I don’t agree that it is THE issue in this thread (or in technical training, or in technical diving for that matter). I don’t have a strong bias against dual bladders, I will dive to 250ft in a wetsuit with double steel cylinders and a couple of AL deco bottles (although, I admit that is a recent change, which came after sweltering in my drysuit on too many occasions in the past), and I do so on the basis of careful consideration of the consequences of the choices, the likelihood of equipment failure, and the options available for recovery if those failures occur. If others hold a different opinion, fine. But, let's not derail the discussion away from what the OP originally asked.

Last edited:
The "clear-headedness" aspect is not just only for better appreciation of the aesthetics of the dive (i.g. Marine Life; coral colors etc), but more importantly to deal with emergency contingencies at depth. In my opinion it is better to learn and practice these vital skills (valve shutdowns; out-of-gas scenarios; primary light failure etc) early and often with Trimix & cognitive clarity, before electively choosing to deal with the potential handicap of narcosis on Deep Air --especially if going into further or future training in deep overheads such as a wreck or cave. . .

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom