what can a rec diver learn from tech realm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theskull:
I have an answer for that one. The long hose requires proficiency and comfort.....

theskull

The problem is, so does an AirII. I had an occation to dive with a diver with an AirII and during the pre-dive chat I mentioned that if he went OOO to grab the reg in my mouth. I then stated that give that he had an AirII I'd assume if I should have an OOO I'd grab the reg in his mouth. He wasn't thrilled.

Back on track: I really like the responses so far in this thread.

Lamont: I read your post and it reminded me a fair bit of my own experiences over the last year or so, just minus the tech diving.

I missed Preston's club event that day, but I can assure you that every time we go out to a club dive I will be wearing my doubles. I'm diving tomorrow using my rec setup for the first time in a couple of months!

The OW divers who just got certified the day we were out practicing our tech skills were mystified by the seemingly complex gear. Once they got a jist of the items we carried with us they nodded a lot and said repeatedly "that makes sense".

1 First and foremost, be a thinking diver.

2 The ideaology of a self sufficient diver whould be a natural progression to the rec diver who wants to stay active and enjoy the sport.

3 The exemplary bouyancy control that is expected of a tech diver is something a rec diver should strive for.

4 Practice drills like some teams do on every dive.

Preston called my approach to diving "evangelistic". I considered it a great compliment.

jeckyll:
The problem is, so does an AirII. I had an occation to dive with a diver with an AirII and during the pre-dive chat I mentioned that if he went OOO to grab the reg in my mouth. I then stated that give that he had an AirII I'd assume if I should have an OOO I'd grab the reg in his mouth. He wasn't thrilled. . .

So true! Plus he now has to control his buoyancy during the ascent either with his reg or his pull dump.

When I dive with an AirII user I always ask before the dive begins how recently he has practiced making an OOA buddy ascent with his gear. Then if it's someone I'm likely to dive with again we will probably practice it on that dive.

Note: I also have some buddies with AirII for whom I have no concerns--again, because they have the proficiency and comfort to use it if needed.

theskull

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom