what can a rec diver learn from tech realm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All:

This is the type of response I was looking for. So far we have gas planning, buddymanship, dive planning, and technique, in particular, buoyancy and trim. I think I got them all.

Now a follow up:

what about equipment? As an old diver, I have used an AIR II, then the long hose; I think donating the reg from your mouth should be standard; be streamlined; just the right amount of lift in the wings/BC; spring straps; necklace use

How about attutude? Safety first; always learning?

Thanks for the future input as well

To the excellent responses so far I would add risk assessment & planning.
The habit of preparing for a dive by asking all the "what if" questions such as:
What if our 4-man team gets separated into 2 2-man teams?
What if the current or viz is worse than we expect? (Shorten dive? Less depth?)
What if the wreck is deeper than we are expecting?

theskull

TheHobster:
All:
How about attutude? Safety first; always learning?

One of the most important things I have learnt from tech training is the confidence to call a dive before getting in the water.If I dont like a plan then I wont do the dive.

As a new diver it is all too easy to get sucked into doing something you are not ready for.

Hobster,
Good spin on the thread... The only draw back is that there is some variation in the Tech world... I'm not sure that the other Tech agencies teach some of the skills/practices that we assume they do.... but until someone says otherwise let's carry on.

Ben

Since I don't read Italian (it's from an Italian tech website, right?), I don't know what these guys are doing other than a technical dive. I don't understand their configuration, but have not had the opportunity to chat and find out why they're rigged like that.

It would be rough, having to go over to Italy to find out, but hey, somebody's gotta do it.

I think a lot of good things have been covered in the previous posts. Gas management, team diving, non-silting propulsion, dive planning, etc.

I'm just going to add two small ones. One is the use of a DSMB, and the other is the use of a reel. No, not all recreational dives require either, but in my opinion, anybody who dives off a boat should be able to send up an SMB from depth. And I've found a reel can be very helpful if you are doing a dive where you aren't entirely sure where you are going or where what you are looking for lies in relation to where you descend. In fact, I wished I'd had my reel with me yesterday, when we were trying to navigate a moderately familiar site, but in really, really bad viz.

TSandM:
I think a lot of good things have been covered in the previous posts. Gas management, team diving, non-silting propulsion, dive planning, etc.

I'm just going to add two small ones. One is the use of a DSMB, and the other is the use of a reel. No, not all recreational dives require either, but in my opinion, anybody who dives off a boat should be able to send up an SMB from depth. And I've found a reel can be very helpful if you are doing a dive where you aren't entirely sure where you are going or where what you are looking for lies in relation to where you descend. In fact, I wished I'd had my reel with me yesterday, when we were trying to navigate a moderately familiar site, but in really, really bad viz.

Great points, especially in low vis, which is typical in the lakes where I spend most of my time.

:popcorn:

Self-sufficiency in that you take realize that you are ultimately responsible for your own welfare, your buddy/team is there to help for things you can´t/shouldn´t do, not a "magic" solution to all ills. If you´re not self-sufficient, you are a liability rather than an asset to your team...

Problemsolving ability. You are prepared, practiced and able to solve problems under water instead of rushing to the surface. For most failiures you have an ingrained response that you can execute while task loaded and still maintain control of your bouyancy.

"Always remember: "Divorce comes right after Diving in the yellow pages' " - or as a speaker once said: "Marriage is Grand; Divorce 100 Grand!"

Now to more topical items :) Thanks all that have responded. I have certainly enjoyed your responses. Some to add to the PP we did for the club. There we said these are the things tech divers do, why they do them and how a rec diver could learn from it. One of the questions from the attendees was along the lines of, "If the longer hose may be safer, and that a distressed diver may reach for the reg in your mouth, why aren't ALL regs configured like that?? " good question that only the LDS owner can answer

there was also an uptick on back inflate BC sales after that talk, especially the APEX.

TheHobster:
. . . "If the longer hose may be safer, and that a distressed diver may reach for the reg in your mouth, why aren't ALL regs configured like that?? " good question that only the LDS owner can answer . . . .

I have an answer for that one. The long hose requires proficiency and comfort.

I was on a recent dive with a fairly good diver who is training to be a divemaster. At the end of the dive on a safety stop I gave him an OOA signal, thinking the practice would be good for him since he is about to start working with students. -- I got a blank stare . . . repeated the signal with some urgency and emphasis -- got another blank stare . . . pointed at his octo -- nothing. I had to reach over and take his octo from the holder to breathe from it.

Now here's my point. I had an easy time of taking the octo away from the holder and breathing it. He was not going to give me his reg. And if a diver is that fazed by an OOA signal I SURE don't want to be the one to take a reg out of his mouth because I need it.

So I would prefer to dive with "less proficient divers" who have their redundant gear displayed for my use rather than depend on their ability to deploy their reg and calmly switch to a back-up.

theskull

Back
Top Bottom