What are your other high-dollar hobbies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got a one track mind, so nothing other than diving... or is it because I have a 4 digit bank balance (and that includes the numbers to the right of the ".")

1. The Fiance
2. Guns
3. Ford Trucks
4. Tools-metal, automotive, wood, electrical...you name it, I have it or want it.

Dogs. Siberians in particular.

I used to be a temporary foster home for local breed rescue groups. Some of the "temporary" fosters just naturally ended up staying permanently.

Food, bowls, vet bills and meds, squeaky toys, biscuits and bones, crates, crate pads, collars and leashes, brushes. Oh, and training classes.

On the other hand, lots of long walks. And they taught me to like cold and snow. No regrets.

"DOG, n. A kind of additional or subsidiary Deity designed to catch the overflow and surplus of the world's worship. This Divine Being in some of his smaller and silkier incarnations takes, in the affection of Woman, the place to which there is no human male aspirant. The Dog is a survival -- an anachronism. He toils not, neither does he spin, yet Solomon in all his glory never lay upon a door-mat all day long, sun-soaked and fly-fed and fat, while his master worked for the means wherewith to purchase the idle wag of the Solomonic tail, seasoned with a look of tolerant recognition." - Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

I 'Fly' rc model aircraft, some weeks it would be cheaper to buy a new dive cylinder use it once then throw it overboard

As a few others hear have already mentioned....flying.

We own our own aircraft (Cessna 182) and keeping it, and myself, current and flying is $$$$$. Hell I love it so much I moved into a fly-in community! I walk by the plane in the hangar every morning before going to work.

I also used to ride and will again, so does the wife. That was expensive to "buy in" but cheap once you have bikes. Racing motorcycles on the other hand....woohooo that is expensive too!

Flying is expensive. The kids friends used to tell them, "You guys are rich, you have an airplane." My kids response? "No, we are broke, we have an airplane."

Still have the airplane. Kids are grown and on their own, but still expensive, somewhat.

Tell me about it. My wife and I realized that I am good to retire in three years, so we bought a house in Pompano on a canal. Since we like the diving down there better than here in Panama City (and have friends here with boats), we just moved the boat down to Pompano. But of course the drive to Pompano and back is painful to say the least, 8-9 hours of boring roads, not to mention the cops around Talahassee who loooove to give out tickets. So I've now taken up flying. One of my co-workers is a local flight instructor with a commercial pilot background. The good part is that I love flying. Really sorry that I hadn't taken this up sooner. But boy do my friends think I'm rich. It's just good that my wife is getting all the travel and overtime right now. Her income is paying for everything, guess I'd better be nice to her.

Wine Making is a reasonably expensive hobby. By the time you buy grapes, carboys, press, bottles, coarkers, filters and the list goes on what looks like a great bottle of wine for $3.00/ea turns out to much much more. But then look at all the fun!

ummm...hobbies and being cheap dont exactly coincide or atleast the setups for them dont. heres some of mine cut down to as cheap as i would like but not what i have invested currently

Guitar- 300 for guitar, 200 for amp and speakers, 50 in cables, about 300 in effects pedals, 15 bucks in strings a month

bass- 300 bass, 300 amp

Surfing- 500 for a board, 30 for a leash 2 bucks a month in wax

RC boats, about 300 into parts and about 20 a month into trying to get my boat to stay together from the torque of the motor

dont even get me started on the project car, or shooting

i think any hobby other than skateboarding, rollerblading, jogging and reading has a rediculously expensive start up cost that if not done conservativly and responsibly can cost a fortune, and has kinda cheap maintnance costs. I probably have spent about 12k in guitar and bass equipment sitting in my house but im far from a conservative person when it comes to guitars, guns and cars

Last edited:
Music - Don't ask me what I own in guitars after 23 years of playing. It's pretty amazing. I have single guitars that cost 5x what all my scuba gear combined costs. :eek:

Cars and Motorcycles - BMW's and sportbikes aren't cheap either.

Oh well! Why die with all your money, where's the fun in that? :D

Heavy jeff I have a 1965 gibson sg with factory vibrello thats worth easily like 20 times what my dive gear costs but im still starting out diving so i wouldnt quite complain. I also have 2 mesa tripple recs and a Hughes and kettner head, and cabs for all the heads, a closet full of effects pedals, about 8 ibanez guitars, fender american strat, a takamine accoustic and a few other electrics plus alot of duncan electronics i have swapped into most of the guitars. and with the Bass playing ive got 3 warwick's 4 ibanez, an ampeg svt classic with the classic 8x10 cab. I know in amps i have about 4k worth probably more and cabs probably another grand or 2 and the gibson was a gift so i dont count that in my total expenses. I pretty much stopped buing guitar equipment other than strings and an occasional cable even though i was seriously thinking about buying a fender mustang i found but the guy wantedd 10k for it and it was rough and purple

Back
Top Bottom