What are your other high-dollar hobbies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan, been there done that....twice....both out and paying for themselves now. Well most of the time...LOL
Cheddarguy always says..we could a bought an island..but you had to have kids....

When I'm not diving I'm writing/reading about it or editing dive videos/photos. In the small amount of free time I have I play baseball and basketball, both free. Any money not spent on airfill cards goes into my boat fund. I hope to get my next boat before next year.

This one makes tech/cave diving look cheap:

05320ce0.jpg

I collect/fix up/play pinball machines. This is an old picture, I have 6 now:

Wrongcrowd Gallery :: Pinball :: DSCN6909

All together, the pins cost about 3x as all of my scuba stuff put together and I don't have the fever as bad as many other collectors. I know one guy who has about 40 games, and there's at least one legendary rich guy in the hobby who has hundreds.

For the curious, a game can cost anywhere from $500 to $8000, with the sweet spot for fun value in the $1500-$2500 range. A room full of games requires a full toolbox and various little parts to keep running, too... which is why you rarely see them in arcades. Video games are cheaper to operate.

Anyone around Seattle who wants to come play, drop me a line. :)

Motorcycles, 3 of them ranging in price form15k to 6k each

Traveling, business class and first class can get a tad expensive at time, 4-5 star hotels are never cheap.

Gave up on the ski diving did way to many in the Army. Got old, halo jumps were fun for a time. Thanks god those where free, jumps and gear, lol

my least expensive hobby is mountain biking, 500 for the bike.

And the wifeys shopping, that can get quite pricey at times.

Graduate school really hits the diving budget. I'm not sure if it is really a hobby, since it will one day pay the bills (hopefully). Other than that, my shadow 1100 needs a new part every 6 months or so. And I am always on the lookout for a new pistol. And with the price of ammo going up daily, soon my pistols will just end up being paperweights

Mine's motorcycles too. Pretty damn expensive to keep them all well maintained and on the road.

I love my stereo equipment too..

Snowboarding (when stationed around snow)
Big-wall climbing (when stationed around big walls)
moutain climibing (when around good mountains)
RC helicopter

This one makes tech/cave diving look cheap:

Yeah...I pretty much grew up on horseback, although hunter-jumpers was my poison. I miss it a lot and hubby knows that one of these days I will get back into it or have horse property at the very least. I did shows for a good 5 solid years, then sporadically for another 5 or so.

I'm also into reptiles, wine, computers (gaming in particular, coding is hubby's deal), beading and quilting. The nice thing about computer stuff at the moment is I can use it as a writeoff since I've been doing some consulting work this year. Beading can pay for itself somewhat, and once my boas start reproducing they'll pay for themselves.

Now all I need to do is find some 1099 work involving diving and I can write off all this gear!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom