What are your other high-dollar hobbies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vam302

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Talking to several friends of mine, it seems that I have more expensive hobbies than most of them. While I don't consider SCUBA diving to be all that expensive, it's a reasonable argument that, when you take into account for personal gear and frequent dive trips, it can be pretty costly. For myself, I also have quite an interest in firearms and cars. Firearms are never cheap, and the ammo is getting more expensive every day. On the automotive side, I'm in the middle of stuffing a 393W into a '91 mustang. :eyebrow:

So here's the real question I have for you all...what are your expensive hobbies, and how do you choose which hobby to allocate your funds for? I'm just curious, and I know that there are lots of you in the same boat I am.

For my part it's blondes, brunettes a d redheads.

Well this is kind of cheating because it relates to diving. Underwater Photography. I plunked over $3K into it in the last 12 months.

Mine would have to be firearms and wakeboarding. As already said weapons are never cheap and for wakeboarding that includes gas for the boat, a boat, and the grand i spend every 2 years on a new board and bindings.

Kids, not a hobby but they cost more than all my dive gear, training and trips to date.

I would say that my most expensive hobby has been skydiving. It cost about 2500 USD to get an A License and then my latest rig cost 5900 USD (but it is awesome!) Time out doesn't cost as much as diving though- 20 USD per jump; no heavy stuff to carry, I would consider skydiving safer than scuba diving as well. The only downside when compared to scuba diving- in scuba diving you jump in and if you decide not to dive, you get out. In skydiving, once you're out the door, well you have less than a minute to do something creative with your main parachute- like open it!

My least expensive hobby is probably skateboarding still. I have about 6 boards that I have replaced over the years, but the only expendables are bearings, wheels, and shoes.

I chose my hobbies depending on my mood. If I want to be alone and get away, I skydive. If I just want to be alone and it hits me instantly, I pick up my board and ride. I scuba dive when I want to see something neat and want to be around people. I like helping people and kicking around ideas about types of diving, and showing those not accustomed to diving in North Carolina a good time (as I have no dedicated dive buddies).

Any other time, I like to tinker or read about weird things like, hold your breath- Biochemistry, Cellular Physiology, Evolution, and Chemistry. All these pertained to my studies and I never lost love for them. I guess you could say that this is a hobby as well but with my school loans that I will be paying for and forever- by far my most expensive hobby ever!

I think skydiving is the next hobby I want to take up. I've done lots of static line, but only a few freefall. Hey mts, ever think about doing a water jump in your dive gear?

Building furniture. The tools alone stagger me.

Mine is the boat that supports the diving, it always needs something pricey.

Back
Top Bottom