What are your other high-dollar hobbies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would say that my most expensive hobby has been skydiving. It cost about 2500 USD to get an A License and then my latest rig cost 5900 USD (but it is awesome!) Time out doesn't cost as much as diving though- 20 USD per jump; no heavy stuff to carry, I would consider skydiving safer than scuba diving as well. The only downside when compared to scuba diving- in scuba diving you jump in and if you decide not to dive, you get out. In skydiving, once you're out the door, well you have less than a minute to do something creative with your main parachute- like open it!

Agree - my skydiving rig (bought used) was a bit cheaper, ~$4000 - each day I go to the drop zone, I spend approximately ~150. When I finally purchased scuba gear a month ago, I didn't consider any of it to be expensive. Needless to say, my credit card balances aren't pretty!

Let me see---

I have Kids -- never mind if you have to ask you cant afford them.
Catamran Racing - new sails are a booger, boat is not cheap race weekends are about 1k.
Photography - digital but still the camera junk aint cheap.
Woodworking, mucho tools, wood is relatively costly.
Welding - plasma cutter, steel, and all the junk I build.
shooting - not to bad considering the alternatives.
home ownership - do you have any idea what a kitchen costs to rebuild.
paintball - take a family of 8 paintballing some time $$$$$.

I have a few expensive sports other than scuba. The most expensive would be boating. Use to have a 40 ft racing sailboat, 20k for new spectrum sails, crew shirts, racing fees, etc. When we moved to MN, I got rid of it and bought a 25 ft and 14ft for the munchkin. Add to that the 18 ft center console, I am always surprised my wife still puts up with me.:D

What? There's something other then diving? Where?

Hiking is about as high dollar as I get . . unless you count handbags and shoes.

I think skydiving is the next hobby I want to take up. I've done lots of static line, but only a few freefall. Hey mts, ever think about doing a water jump in your dive gear?

I cut my teeth on static line and have done water jumps as well, but never with scuba gear. I took AAF after wanting more but with less (rucksack, weapon, K-Pot, LCE, 210 rounds of ammo-you know what I am talking about!)

Now the only time I think about jumping with more than necessary is when I am watching a James Bond or some Hokey Navy Seal movie. :rofl3:

Agree - my skydiving rig (bought used) was a bit cheaper, ~$4000 - each day I go to the drop zone, I spend approximately ~150. When I finally purchased scuba gear a month ago, I didn't consider any of it to be expensive. Needless to say, my credit card balances aren't pretty!

My first rig was a huge black Javelin container with a Precision Aero 175 and some old PA reserve. It was a good price- free from my younger Brother but I soon realized I wanted less, if you know what I mean. So, I kicked down for a Velocity Sports rig, a Vigil AAD, and some new and smaller canopies. I like it.

My other hobbies are making music and running. Running costs next to nothing and the piano + lessons costs about as much as diving.

R..

Hubby and I both have off road jeeps. Even with all the dive gear we've bought, we still haven't spent as much on diving as we have on modifying the jeeps. Now if you add in travel to nice white sand, crystal clear blue water beaches, then yes diving is more expensive :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom