What are your other high-dollar hobbies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Watch collecting. You think split-fin threads are contentious? Visit a watch website and ask "Which is better - Lange or Patek?"

:D

Flying has probably topped the list. Training makes even GUE course fees look cheap. For example, an instrument rating cost me $9,000 in the early 1990's and aircraft rental is only exceeded by the cost of aircraft ownership. That's pretty much why it went on the back burner.

I also used to shoot in tactical rifle and pistol matches before moving here to VA. Shooting 2-3 times per week with 300-400 rounds per session was not unusual, but a Dillon progressive press and buying components in bulk helped keep costs down.

In comparison to either hobby, diving is cheap.

I used to shoot IPSC. Good times! I'll get back into one of the practical/tactical pistol leagues again someday.

Guess mine would be videography, been doing it for many years as a side business but don't think I have made back the $2k+ I invested in it 4 years ago.

Jeff

diving skiing and cycling.

may not seem like the big bucks but to a poor collage student...

Flying has probably topped the list. Training makes even GUE course fees look cheap. For example, an instrument rating cost me $9,000 in the early 1990's and aircraft rental is only exceeded by the cost of aircraft ownership. That's pretty much why it went on the back burner.

$7,000 for the Private Pilot
$10,000 for the Instrument
Multiple check rides at $450 a crack, multi-engine training, etc...etc...
Charts, subscriptions, databases, recurrent training...
Then there was the rental fees, currently $340 an hour for a Cessna 400 Twin Turbo (Columbia 400).
Finally wised up and bought a Beech Baron. :D
Went to the shop once and came home with a $12,000 repair bill. :shakehead:
Plane is in the shop right now. :doh2:

$7,000 for the Private Pilot
$10,000 for the Instrument
Multiple check rides at $450 a crack, multi-engine training, etc...etc...
Charts, subscriptions, databases, recurrent training...
Then there was the rental fees, currently $340 an hour for a Cessna 400 Twin Turbo (Columbia 400).
Finally wised up and bought a Beech Baron. :D

A lot of you guys definately have me beat with the private pilot hobby. I've always wanted to learn to fly, too. I suppose flying helicopters is even more expensive, huh? :shakehead: Oh well...

Watch collecting. You think split-fin threads are contentious? Visit a watch website and ask "Which is better - Lange or Patek?"

:D

Hublot :eyebrow:

I frequent timezone ... some snobs :shakehead: there, but good info

Exactly - the only thing more expensive than renting is owning.

I have focused on keeping the "owning" a bit cheaper - half a PA-12, 1/4 of an RV-4 and all of a modified Moni over the years. I had a friendly mechanic who'd sign off my work on the PA-12 and you can do your own work on the Experimentals, so the bills are a lot lower, but you get to be on pretty good terms with Univair, etc.

Flat wing Pitt Specials (S-1C and S-1D) are pretty affordable and even the S-1Ss are good pretty deals lately, so I may go that direction some day or get something like a Steen Skybolt. I learned to fly in a PA-18 and have never quite shaken the rag wing tail dragger, lots of power thing.

My former dive buddy had a very nice Twin Commanche but even the annual inspection bill for his "cheap" twin ran $4000-$5000 per year. Nice flying airplane though - nicer handling than the Seneca's, 310's, B55's I trained in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom