What are your favorite Cozumel Restaurants??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back on Sunday (May 24) after eating all but one of my dinners as the only guest in the restaurant. Very sad, but things were picking up by the time I left.
Casa Denis
La Mission
Albertos? (just before turning into El Cedral)
Drawing a blank on two others ... Carlitos?

The other one was named something like Cochay or Cochi. (Have to see if I have the name in my paperwork at home.) The waiter told me the English translation was firefly, although that wasn't the case when I just tried an English to Spanish translation online.
The funniest part about that restaurant was I got back to my hotel in the afternoon and I had a message from a guy on my dive boat that he had invited me to dinner at that place that evening. (it was recommended to him by a friend.) So I got directions to the place and sat down at the empty restaurant to wait for him. He never showed up, so I had a delicious dinner by myself.
He told me the next day on the boat that his taxi driver couldn't find the place. Of course, after I gave him some crap, I told him that was the first time I'd ever been stood up for dinner by another dude.
A large group of Coz schoolteachers were arriving for dinner as I was leaving, so it must have a good local rep.

He told me the next day on the boat that his taxi driver couldn't find the place. Of course, after I gave him some crap, I told him that was the first time I'd ever been stood up for dinner by another dude.
In Cancun, I took a taxi from the downtown bus station to my new Dentist's office, but the cabbie couldn't find it. I had the doc's number in my phone, call it, let them tell the cabbie how to get there. And cabbies don't know where Parrilla Mission is in Coz.

Very good investments: Can-Do Travel Guides

qx8ioj.jpg

The other one was named something like Cochay or Cochi. (Have to see if I have the name in my paperwork at home.) The waiter told me the English translation was firefly, although that wasn't the case when I just tried an English to Spanish translation online.

La Cocay - on Calle 8 between Av. 10 and Av. 15 - one of my favorites - not sure HOW I left it off my previous list in this thread! It is on my restaruant rec list though :)

One place I still REALLY miss is Mesa 17! Trish and Glenn are doing well though :)

Skeeos--------I'm gonna take a wild guess that "cocay" might be Mayan??------ since you are correct that that is NOT "firefly" in Spanish.......great place, but sorry you were stood up!

Betsy

Because of her great powers of reasoning, Betsy has the answer. Here's excerpted academic stuff:
"One of the most common insects depicted in Maya art, especially on ceramic bowls, is the firefly. Examples of "Firefly" in Mayan Languages: Lowland Maya - kuhkay; Ch'olti and Ch'orti' (the two languages most closely related to Classic Mayan) - cucai, kuhkay; Yucatec - kóokay"

La Choza, for the traditional first night dinner, Pancho's Backyard for the romantic evening. C + C's for drunken stupor. (hey, it's a vacation.)

C + C's for drunken stupor. (hey, it's a vacation.)
Last night, after packing your gear I suppose? Fly home already dehydrated. :pilot: I was younger once. I've been in that place after the c-boats were gone for the day; seemed pretty dull. I don't have the party spirit anymore I guess. (do we have an old coot smilie?)

Thanks Christi for the correct spelling and Betsy and ddeborahdelamar for the explanation on the translation!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom