What are your biggest pet peeves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I respect other divers enough not to give my advice, opinion of you, your training, your gear or your diving skill unless you ask me to or there is some imminent danger I expect others to offer me the same respect.

I will take a few shots and move aside to give others a fair turn/ access for them to get some photos. That doesn't give them the right to monopolize the subject so I (and others) can't get any other shots.

I get really irritated by photographers who think that because they have massive expensive cameras they somehow have "right" to pursue shots, drive off creatures and interfere with the creatures so no one else gets a chance to capture their own memories of the dive.

Tank tapping control freak DM's who want to control divers like dogs herding sheep.

Dive Ops who force short dive times without good reason. Dive length is one of the factors that determines if I book with an Operator. I am not happy when we get out to the site and THEN they decide the rules have changed or they try to control dive time when they fill our tanks.

My all time pet peeve is poor fills. Nothing ticks me off more than getting to the site and finding out my tank is less than 75% full. We actually offered to pay extra to get our tanks filled to their legal operating pressure. LDS owner said "you shouldn't have to pay more to get a proper fill" Got decent fills for a couple visits then the tank monkey told us we didn't "need the air" cause we would only be bringing it back... um what happened to the rule of thirds and gas planning? :doh: I thought the idea was to plan the dive according to available gas and to come back with a safe reserve! (We don't do Deco dives) The same operators cop an unbearable attitude if you want to cool the tank and check pressure when you get the fills! I just don't understand why low fills are so common in some areas and not in others:idk:

Last edited:
Mine is to feel cold on a dive.

Another one, new divers who think it is absolutely necessary to follow so close to you that while you are swimming calmly well withing your "bubble"(that's punny) you end up involuntarily kicking them in the face multiple times, every time you telling them to give you space and swim beside you, they get angry and flip you the bird.

So, to sum it all up, scared new divers that deem it reasonable to be kicked in the face because they are too apprehensive to realise how safe they really are.

I apologize if I come across as stuck up, it's just in context, not truly :wink:

My pet peeves are two very distinct, yet similar attitudes

1) People who insist that if you didn't buy it from a LDS, or learn it in a class, then it must be crap!
2) If you have less than XXX number of dives, you can't be a good diver.

I suppose this can be summed up to a general lack of respect resulting in misinformed judgements.

Not everyone learned to dive in a class, and not every piece of dive equipment started its life as dive equipment.
Just because someone does not have 100+ dives doesn't mean that they don't have ability, skill and talent to do advanced diving.

I don't know where these attitude stems from, but I find myself at the brunt of it or watching on the sidelines sometimes, and it makes me so angry I could punch kittens!

I suppose this can be summed up to a general lack of respect resulting in misinformed judgements.

You nailed it right there. That general lack of respect, coupled with an arrogant feeling of entitlement to pass judgment, is the worst attitude.

"If you don't dive in the conditions I do, you can't be a good diver."

"If you don't dress like, or dive like, or train like, I do, you can't be a good diver."

"If you don't act the way I do, or the way I expect, . . . "

Stealing Sara Bareilles' lyrics: "You dare tell me who to be? Who died, that made you king of anything?"

I have really enjoyed the people whose pet peeves were other people not listening to them/ not taking their advice.

I suppose I have learned that m biggest pet peeve is people who expect me to listen to them or think I care about their advice.

New one.. people who think that the number of dives or certificates determines how good a diver is. IMHO it is all about skill in the water and skill in the conditions of the dive you are currently doing.

The attitude that divers who are older with less than ideal BMI and athletic fitness levels should not be diving and are a danger to the slim, fit, macho, alcohol swilling high risk taking younger divers:doh:

I have made 1 Super advanced dive so far (30 feet X 30 minutes) that I think only 3 people in the world can do (J/K) lol. I am reading this forum to learn things and so far on this thread, I think I took in a lot of what to do/ what not to do's. I would like to take the time to say thank you to everyone for 1 letting us that are NEW to this life understand what the more seasoned people are like (thumbs up). and 2 Making me laugh today, Thank you.

Very nice post FireKnight. I would imagine you could have a LOT of pet peeves where you are living and working.
Happy Memorial Day. Be safe over there. Come to Belize and dive. I won't complain about anything.

I have made 1 Super advanced dive so far (30 feet X 30 minutes) that I think only 3 people in the world can do (J/K) lol. I am reading this forum to learn things and so far on this thread, I think I took in a lot of what to do/ what not to do's. I would like to take the time to say thank you to everyone for 1 letting us that are NEW to this life understand what the more seasoned people are like (thumbs up). and 2 Making me laugh today, Thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom