Question Recreational Divers: What are the biggest problems you face in this sport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow!

Interesting, we grew up pronouncing this as broadies, describing I suppose, throwing the rear of your car sideways
and then continuing through in control with your outside wheel spinning and heading off in the opposite direction
but not so far as to turn it into a doughnut, or continue through to circle work and dirty smelly expensive burnouts

So I look at this and see that with Scottish pronunciation brodie becomes broadie

I used "brodie" because I did just that. In Bonaire, I did a 180 because the rocks/coral/slick sh*t made me. I guess I could spell like my nephew does: Brody.

Getting CCR hours in following a fairly recent return to diving is very frustrating. OC NP as I can dive solo fairly locally, but need to drive 2.5hrs to mines or the sea to dive CCR that way, or find a buddy.

1. Having to get up early to go diving, I HATE getting up early!!!!! I stay up very late reading and doing work and I can't wake up early.

2. Keeping my waistline under control and not have to buy larger size equipment. With my wives' and mother's out of this world cooking, it is a very difficult task to keep it under control but I have managed to keep it the same for the last few years.

Some of my challenges:
  1. Keeping my extremely modest skills current, not enough opportunities to dive and practice.
  2. What I'll call travel friction; cancelled flights, long flight times because of excessive time between connecting flights, inability to find rental cars and or inability to find lodging. Seems the way to deal with these problems is to book 1 - 1 1/2 years in advance, which I cant do.
  3. Finding travel insurance I can trust if trip is cancelled for weather or other reasons.
  4. Finding quality dive and snorkeling sites
  5. Age, sometimes the juice aint worth the squeeze

i like number 5

1. Mines more a BSAC specific thing, but getting instructors willing to do courses
2. Convincing the wife I need more gear
3. Finding time to travel abroad for diving

i like number 2 😂

Finding buddies for local dives. I used to have a semi-regular buddy, but he moved away, so now Im getting buddies online.

And I realize this is my own preference, but I like to get two dives in before lunch time, then I have the rest of the day (and to beat afternoon traffic). Generally, I find that buddies want to take things on a more leisurely pace.

you are the perfect candidate for solo diving ! i try it once never dove with a buddy again ! dive where and when you want. Great !

I leave home at 4 am each friday for a 2h30 drive to the dive site. Do my two dive and i am back in town around 13h00. i love it that way !

Actually, all I need to do is mention a place I wouldn't mind diving and she probably would have hotel, dive operator, and airlines booked in 30 mins. If she brings it up, I'm the one that will research it and pass it along to the guy that runs our dive shop and plans trips. Her bucket list is Australia and Philippines. Yet she hasn't planned the trips yet.......:idk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom