What are your biggest pet peeves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...when you take friends out on your boat and they start complaining that you don't have oxygen, lol...yea, that's my favorite.

I'd expand that to any complaint about your boat. You want to just say: "Hey, go dive off your own boat in future. Oh yeah, that's right - you don't have one which is why you freeload off me...."

I'd expand that to any complaint about your boat. You want to just say: "Hey, go dive off your own boat in future. Oh yeah, that's right - you don't have one which is why you freeload off me...."

... I once had someone tell me if I didn't keep my gear in better shape he was just going to have to go borrow someone else's stuff ... I think he was kidding ... :idk:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That's when you "lose" your ladder, narrow down your friends a little

making people take their gear off in the water gets rid of the fussy types too...of course, I almost drowned myself a few times too

That's when you "lose" your ladder, narrow down your friends a little

making people take their gear off in the water gets rid of the fussy types too...of course, I almost drowned myself a few times too

... you're supposed to take the weight belt off first, yanno ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yea, it's the long hose and the rough water that give me issues....my weights were always on my tank straps, behind the tank.
Another pet peeve is peeps slinging weight belts over the side of the gel coat :wink:
People just being on your boat can be annoying now that I think about it....
It's not as carefree as diving on somebody else's boat, thats for sure
No, it was fun, I miss that boat:depressed:

I love reading this thread mostly because I wanna know what not to do to annoy other divers. Some comments even made me laugh.... so I said I'll keep reading. I never thought I'd contribute though but finally today I will because I got so annoyed with a diver friend who invited me to dive to some dive site but I replied no because I want to finish my advance open water being my priority. He then said in all the arrogance he can muster
"Oh yeah finish your advance course first coz I do not wanna dive with newbies"... I was the one who introduced him to diving!!!And have more logged dives than him. He finished his AOW first just cause I have a demanding regular job. So now I know my pet peeve I dislike arrogant divers especially the inexperienced ones! No respect and no genuine love to the sport.

Pay And Dive Instantly

Yea, it's the long hose and the rough water that give me issues....my weights were always on my tank straps, behind the tank.
Another pet peeve is peeps slinging weight belts over the side of the gel coat :wink:
People just being on your boat can be annoying now that I think about it....
It's not as carefree as diving on somebody else's boat, thats for sure
No, it was fun, I miss that boat:depressed:

I almost lost it once on Uncle Pug's boat. In a classic case of brain flatulance I undid my rig, went to spin out of it only to realize my crotch strap was snagged on the waist buckle. Wouldn't have been a problem except I had forgotten to take off my (22#) weight belt. Current was running pretty good, and the boat was anchored. The rig was clipped to a lanyard by a D-ring, so the crotch strap was keeping my rig pinned down around my ankle, and the weight belt was dragging my head underwater. Could've been a bit of a problem ... especially because Uncle Pug was climbing in the boat at the time and didn't see what was going on. I managed to kick up with my other foot, grab ahold of a spare lanyard he had hanging over the side of the boat for clipping off our gear, and pull my head out of the water. By the time he turned around and asked me if I was OK I'd removed the weightbelt and clipped it off, and freed my ankle. "You OK?" he asked? "Oh yeah, I'm fine" ... thinking I'm glad he didn't see me being an idiot and pretending like I was just hanging out in the water because I wasn't ready to get out yet.

Pet peeve ... doing stupid things you teach much less experienced divers not to do ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Octopi

It's just wrong. Octopus is a greek orgin word, addining an "i" to pleurolize a word is latin. The pleural of Octopus is Octopuses or Octopodes. It REALLY bugs me when someone says "octopuses" and some know-it-all corrects them to say "It's actually octopi!"

I'm not a grammar or spelling nazi at all (in fact there are probably grammatical errors in this post), but octopi just drives me nuts.

My biggest pet peeve...be it on a charter or a private boat... the person who does not know what "10 minutes" means. When the Captain sets up the drop, after the 10 minute warning and somebody is still trying to clip off an octo or console because he waited 8 minutes before gearing up; thus delaying the drop..I get pissed. It could mean somebody misses the ledge (or for a Noob, he might lose his guide). We drift dive. There was a thread I saw where people poo-pood a DM for rushing a diver into the water without his console and octo clipped off. Well hell, the DM had other divers in the water and surely thought he needed to do what he is supposed to do.

As for the elite diver mentality..I have not seen that from anybody in the last 10 years. But that might be because I am so great myself. :)

50 minutes or 50 Bar whichever comes the soonest

One of the local diver operators use this criteria for the timing of the dive, for me this is unacceptable considering:

The 9.30 boat left at 10:10
The SI between the dives was 1 hr 45 mins
and the 12.30 boat left at 13.00

This drives me nuts, I spend 2 hours driving across UAE to the east coast and I want at least 60 mins underwater, is that too much to ask

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom