What are these metal things at LBTS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trigfunctions

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Saw these snorkeling this morning at Lauderdale by the Sea. They appeared to be metal, and the curved pieces appeared to be stuck together. Does anyone have any idea what they are?

Aug_07_10_Snorkel_002.jpg

Aug_07_10_Snorkel_003.jpg

I think they are alien satellite receivers. :D Watch out for that fish, they are friends with the aliens!

I've never seen them, but they are pretty cool. Perhaps they are someone's u/w art installation.

Those are Gold Finger Bars from a 1800's ship wreck. Where did you see them..? just curious...

goldmel.jpg

Did you clean a place off to look at what was under the growth? Silver bars look pretty nasty until the are cleaned up.

The 1715 plate fleet laid here on the Treasure coast with fisherman, snorkelers, and Scuba divers tripping over it for decades until it was finally found.

I'm skeptical that they are valuable sunken treasure. Probably just some scrap junk that fell off a finshing boat. Plus, they are being guarded by a vicious damselfish!

I saw them yesterday snorkeling at LTBS, but I don't remember exactly where because there was a strong current and it was hard to keep track. We went again this morning and I didn't see them.

How does something appear to be metal?

Gold looks like Gold, Bronze looks like Bronze (with a little scraping) and Copper too looks like Copper... just a little scraping will clean it up. However... Whatever that is - it is NOT old.

Go beat on it with a big knife, and you'll know if its metal. Take a magnet and if it sticks, its probably steel or iron. :wink:

My guess: These are excess pieces from a rigging project. The pieces are partially formed wire thimbles for steel cable.

The cable, plus one of these "thimble blanks" is mounted to a forming tool called a mandrel. The wire rope is then tightened to form the cable and thimble assembly, This is held tightly together when a sleeve (like a metal tube) is squeezed shut in the wire forming the loop.

These are probably excess from a job, dumped overboard. Possibly some that didn't form correctly, too. Any better ideas?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom