What are the chances that TS Rina will blow out out diving later this week or worse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jax, look at the forecast path and consider preparation and clean up. I suspect things may be not geared towards diving for several days.

As a matter of fact I did not like the fact it was only a tropical storm so I increased it to be Cat 3 and I am personally steering it for a direct hit. :mooner: :dork2: Maybe I should make it a CAT 5.....hmmmmmm..........I am 100% confident the OP appreciates any updates so as to form an opinion if they should proceed with plans to go forward with their planned visit on Tuesday.

See this is what I mean, you "appear" to answer my question, trying to make readers believe you're posting in the interest of the OP. First though you make a blatant silly joke, in which you look really childish by the way.

You're apparent "interest" in "helping" the OP, is the answer if my question was about the "what". But my question was about the "why" and the "how".... which you tried unsuccesfully to evade, I, and several others on here, can see right through you...
:eyebrow:

Is it me or do those updated storm tracks look to be trending more south of Cozumel for the most part now?

Is it me or do those updated storm tracks look to be trending more south of Cozumel for the most part now?

You're going to see the "projected path" jump around quite a bit over the next 24-36hrs, as this thing is unpredictable right now. If you looked at the computer models earlier, they were mostly in disagreement, with only 2 heading this way, 2 going inland near Belize, and 2 going towards Cuba. Now their are starting to align (gulp) this way, by tomorrow mid day we'll have a better idea, but it's certainly not looking good for Cozumel. I just got unconfirmed reports that they have closed the port at 5pm today, if this is true, I doubt it will open tomorrow or the next few days, in any event, most of Cozumel will be going into full throttle mode tomorrow and Wednesday, because even if it didn't end up here, there's just no time to wait and see, and then if it does it's too late, so we have to prepare as if it was. If we don't get hit, we'll be back in the water by Saturday or Sunday, if we do, well at least we made every effort to protect life and property.

I've been watching these things for years, I have plotter charts for most big storms in the last 8 years. On Sunday morning when I saw the disturbance near Panama going from yellow to orange on the NHS webpage, how it was starting to convect (spin) I got a sour feeling, Monday morning already a H, and strengthening very fast, just like 6 years ago, Sunday a TS, Monday a H, Thursday it was here, I do hope this won't be a repeat.

Unlike 6 years ago though, when it was really calm and nice weather prior to, right now we have cold wind blowing from the north and more pushing down over the next few days, this H is just sitting there spinning and gathering heat, and behind it, there is another tropical depression moving fast, and appears will "push" Rina, look at this satellite loop:

Western Atlantic - AVN Color Infrared Loop (Flash) - Satellite Services Division/Office of Satellite Data Processing and Distribution

I'm guessing it's going to be just a little windy and rainy here for the next couple of days, as these masses of cold and warm air colide and hit Rina's spin cycle....

This sucks, is an understatement....

Does it matter yet? They'll change many more times, then what happens one day out is what counts. :cool2:

There is no freaking way I would be heading there. The weather will SUCK! and it might get dangerous. Why subject yourself to that?

Wow, looking at that sat image Antonio posted, looks like Bonaire is getting blasted and Roatan is getting some really bad weather too. Its a tripple whammy on all my favorite dive destinations

I just checked the track and computer models on Rina a few minutes ago........ it isn't very encouraging. There's a real possiblity Cozumel could take a direct hit from this storm Thursday with it being a Cat 2/3 at that time.

We just returned from Coz Sunday, so the joy of being there and being around the nice, friendly people there is still pretty fresh in my mind. I'm grieved for them and hope they weather it well.

Wow, looking at that sat image Antonio posted, looks like Bonaire is getting blasted and Roatan is getting some really bad weather too. Its a tripple whammy on all my favorite dive destinations
I think you're reading a little too much into that map. La Ceiba is showing cloudy with wind 6 mph from the SSW. Curacao has some clouds and winds 15 mph from the NNE. True, Roatan is in range of Rima and Boanire close to I-97, but no problems yet. Caution is the way to bet tho. My friends on Cay Caulker are packing.

at_sst.gif

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom