What are the chances that TS Rina will blow out out diving later this week or worse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yea this posted by someone who spent the last week or so in the Scuba Mau thread with post after post of insults and degrading comments AFTER posters were repeatedly told it was a sympathy only thread. You got alot of nerve with your insinuation towards me.

Psychological projection -- a psychological defense mechanism where a person subconsciously denies his or her own attributes, thoughts, and emotions, which are then ascribed to other people.

Thus, projection involves imagining or projectingthe belief that others originate those feelings.

Projection reduces anxiety by allowing the expression of the unwanted unconscious impulses or desires without letting the conscious mind recognize them.

An example of this behavior might be blaming another for self failure. The mind may avoid the discomfort of consciously admitting personal faults by keeping those feelings unconscious, and by redirecting libidinal satisfaction by attaching, or "projecting," those same faults onto another person or object.

(The theory was developed by Sigmund Freud )

Could you guys discuss that on the Whine forum...?? :confused:
Psychological projection -- a psychological defense mechanism where a person subconsciously denies his or her own attributes, thoughts, and emotions, which are then ascribed to other people.

Thus, projection involves imagining or projectingthe belief that others originate those feelings.

Projection reduces anxiety by allowing the expression of the unwanted unconscious impulses or desires without letting the conscious mind recognize them.

An example of this behavior might be blaming another for self failure. The mind may avoid the discomfort of consciously admitting personal faults by keeping those feelings unconscious, and by redirecting libidinal satisfaction by attaching, or "projecting," those same faults onto another person or object.

(The theory was developed by Sigmund Freud )

Discuss what?

Please post enough hurricane update so we can get back on topic.

If you want to leave the island do it soon. Few flights and the ferry operators take their boats and run, often several days prior to any storm threat. Learned that with Ivan. Luckily Ivan spared the island. Grand Cayman, not so much.

I know a couple who arrived on Cay Caulker Saturday or Sunday, but then this was just expected to be a rain. Now they're setting on a sandbar one mile wide, eight feet at it's highest, wondering. :confused: He hopes to dive Blue Hole tomorrow. I think I'd be looking for a boat to the airport.

When Hattie hit there in 1961, it left a shallow cut across the island, which the locals dredged by hand to make it deep enough for canoes to cross. "The increased flow of tidal water has naturally dredged the opening to 20 feet (6.1 m) deep until larger boats can now easily pass. The natural erosion continues to this day and threatens the soft sand banks of the waterway." Way to cut eight mile long island in two guys. :silly:

Ivan was that weird one that eventually landed in Alabama, flooding much of the South and the Atlantic seaboard, damages as far north as Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, and eastern Nova Scotia, reorganizing in the Atlantic, then circling back on Florida. These things can be so strange...!

220px-Ivan_2004_track.png

Update as of 8:30pm Monday evening:

Preparations on the island have begun. Lines are already forming in the gas stations and there is a rush at the grocery stores.

Some ferries are already being moved to safe harbor.

Here is the advice I gave my divers arriving in the next three days. As much as it pains me...I am being realistic.

If you are scheduled to arrive between Tuesday and Thursday, I would try to reschedule, because you will very likely be sitting in a hotel room. Your hotel and dive op SHOULD honor your deposit and reservation and carry them over to a rescheduled trip. I cannot speak for the airlines.

HOWEVER, if you are arriving Thursday or later - it is still premature. You still have time to make a decision and to see if the storm actually hits us and to what degree. Things can still change alot, for better or worse.

Not to sound too carefree about this storm, but based on how we recovered from Wilma, I think we will be back on our feet almost immediately after a Cat 2 or 3 - still, if you don't need to be here, you shouldn't be because I suspect we will all be in preparation mode for the next few days. Tomorrow mornings forecast and prediction will give us more definitive answers.

So, if you are scheduled to arrive Thursday or later - hold off, don't make a decision yet - let's see what this really does. We will be prepared for the worst regardless.

Thanks, Christi . . . I'll be watching this thread for your input. we are supposed to fly in Saturday.

Do you think the diving will be totally blown out? :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom