What are the chances that TS Rina will blow out out diving later this week or worse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are all tucked in ready to wait until tomorrow afternoon! I have a FULL but HAPPY house! We have upgraded to 4 dogs, 2 cats, 3 toddlers, and 7 adults! We have enough food, water, etc. for three weeks and enough love to get us through anything!

For the record WSO - I did not encourage anyone to fly down knowing this was coming - read my posts again, I told my divers arriving between Monday and Thursday NOT to come! Those arriving later - I told them to wait - lets see what happens- they still have time to make a decision based on FACTS and what ACTUALLY happens!

Just heard on the radio that the airport will resume operations and flights on Friday!

Current conditions = FLAT sea, no wind, calm skies! Hopefully it stays this way for the next several weeks - haha!

Will keep the updates coming!

10 PM Update

BULLETIN
HURRICANE RINA ADVISORY NUMBER 16
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL182011
1000 PM CDT WED OCT 26 2011

...RINA HANGING IN THERE WITH 85 MPH WINDS...COULD BE A LITTLE BIT
STRONGER...

SUMMARY OF 1000 PM CDT...0300 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...18.5N 86.5W
ABOUT 140 MI...225 KM S OF COZUMEL MEXICO
ABOUT 120 MI...190 KM E OF CHETUMAL MEXICO
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...85 MPH...140 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 320 DEGREES AT 6 MPH...9 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...979 MB...28.91 INCHES

WATCHES AND WARNINGS
--------------------
CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY...

NONE.

SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT...

A HURRICANE WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR...
* THE NORTHEAST COAST OF THE YUCATAN PENINSULA FROM NORTH OF PUNTA
GRUESA TO SAN FELIPE

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR...
* THE EAST COAST OF THE YUCATAN PENINSULA FROM CHETUMAL TO PUNTA
GRUESA
* THE NORTH COAST OF THE YUCATAN PENINSULA WEST OF SAN FELIPE TO
PROGRESO

PREPARATIONS TO PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY SHOULD BE RUSHED TO
COMPLETION IN THE WARNING AREA.

INTERESTS IN WESTERN CUBA SHOULD MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF RINA.

FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...PLEASE MONITOR
PRODUCTS ISSUED BY YOUR NATIONAL METEOROLOGICAL SERVICE.

DISCUSSION AND 48-HOUR OUTLOOK
------------------------------
AT 1000 PM CDT...0300 UTC...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE RINA WAS LOCATED
NEAR LATITUDE 18.5 NORTH...LONGITUDE 86.5 WEST. RINA IS MOVING
TOWARD THE NORTHWEST NEAR 6 MPH...9 KM/H. A GRADUAL TURN TO THE
NORTH WITH A SLIGHT INCREASE IN FORWARD SPEED IS EXPECTED ON
THURSDAY. ON THE FORECAST TRACK...THE CENTER OF RINA WILL BE MOVING
NEAR OR OVER THE EAST COAST OF THE YUCATAN PENINSULA THURSDAY NIGHT
AND FRIDAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS REMAIN NEAR 85 MPH...140 KM/H...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. RINA IS A CATEGORY ONE HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON
HURRICANE WIND SCALE. NO IMPORTANT CHANGES IN INTENSITY ARE
EXPECTED ON THURSDAY...BUT A GRADUAL WEAKENING SHOULD BEGIN
THEREAFTER.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 15 MILES...30 KM...FROM
THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 80
MILES...130 KM.

LATEST MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE ESTIMATED FROM NOAA HURRICANE
HUNTER PLANE DATA WAS 979 MB...28.91 INCHES.

HAZARDS AFFECTING LAND
----------------------
WIND...TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS ARE PROBABLY ALREADY OCCURRING IN
PORTIONS OF THE TROPICAL STORM WARNING AREA. HURRICANE CONDITIONS
ARE EXPECTED TO BEGIN WITHIN THE HURRICANE WARNING AREA ON
THURSDAY.

RAINFALL...RINA IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 6 TO 10
INCHES OVER THE EASTERN YUCATAN PENINSULA AND COZUMEL THROUGH
FRIDAY WITH ISOLATED MAXIMUM AMOUNTS TO 14 INCHES.

STORM SURGE...A DANGEROUS STORM SURGE WILL RAISE WATER LEVELS BY
AS MUCH AS 2 TO 4 FEET ABOVE NORMAL TIDE LEVELS ALONG THE
IMMEDIATE COAST NEAR AND TO THE RIGHT OF THE TRACK OF THE CENTER.
NEAR THE COAST...THE SURGE WILL BE ACCOMPANIED BY LARGE AND
DESTRUCTIVE WAVES.

After much thought we decided to cancel out for arriving today. Tried to reschedule but just could not line up any dates.:(
Thanks Christi for your updates and we wish you and your "guests" well.
Stay safe all.

After much thought we decided to cancel out for arriving today. Tried to reschedule but just could not line up any dates.:(
You actually thought about it? Sorry you had to cancel, but you wouldn't want to be there.

I will say one thing and that is that there is a disturbing trend on SB - Coz forum of late for a couple of specific individuals to take a stance that seems to bring out the ire in everyone. This is true whether we are discussing the weather, hamburgers or the SM incident. I first noted it with the SM threads but it is becoming increasingly pervasive and for such a happy Island the Coz threads are becoming decidedly aggressive. Guys can we just get along and if not can we start ignoring the couple of individuals who seem to raise the ante each time

Chris
:laughing: This has always been a passionate forum as far as I can remember. I started the Dengue thread because a buddy was concerned but afraid to ask.

Or did you think I was one of the culprits? :silly:

We are all tucked in ready to wait until tomorrow afternoon! I have a FULL but HAPPY house! We have upgraded to 4 dogs, 2 cats, 3 toddlers, and 7 adults! We have enough food, water, etc. for three weeks and enough love to get us through anything!
Be careful of toddlers, toys, and toilets. :shocked2:

For the record WSO - I did not encourage anyone to fly down knowing this was coming - read my posts again, I told my divers arriving between Monday and Thursday NOT to come! Those arriving later - I told them to wait - lets see what happens- they still have time to make a decision based on FACTS and what ACTUALLY happens!

FOR THE RECORD.........feel free to reference the post where I said YOU did that.....I am sure you will have plenty of time tomorrow being stuck inside so I will be waiting. :popcorn:

If you are still there in Dec, we can meet up and drink the drinks I am going to win off Wsopfan! :cheers:

Damn, wish Dec wasn't in the midst of Snowboarding season our I'd push my dates just to enjoy one of those drinks with you! I'll enjoy one on my own dime anyway as an absentee reveler. :idk: Yes, I'm making them up as I go.

All the best and I know we will see you on the other side Christi.

Just heard on the radio that the airport will resume operations and flights on Friday!
This being right never gets old. :D

:laughing: This has always been a passionate forum as far as I can remember. I started the Dengue thread because a buddy was concerned but afraid to ask.

Scubaboard = Passionate since 2000 and 200,000 members strong. It's that passion that keeps me coming back... that passion similar to that of yours Don and Christi and Antonio and Gordon and Sue and Marg and Dave and Kathy and Pete (NetDoc) and all the contributors the give their valuable time to make it what it is. Nothing this successful ever apologizes for the few frail toes that get stepped on every now and again. YMMV

Last edited:
FOR THE RECORD.........feel free to reference the post where I said YOU did that.....I am sure you will have plenty of time tomorrow being stuck inside so I will be waiting. :popcorn:
:no: Seriously, where it that Ignore button? Trying my best to play nicely. I think it's time we all start reporting these posts. :shakehead:

WSOPFAN =:fail:

For the record....you are a tool.
:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Where is your Like button? That is AWESOME!:yeahbaby:

What bet? BTW Flights cut off does not mean no flights are allowed to run in or out of the airport it means the PEOPLE who are looking for flights at the airport. If people from Canada or who knows where can't get the same flight for days that is what I was talking about.

Logic, WSOFAN, WSOFAN, Logic, have you guys met before? Mr. Merriam, Mr. Webster, this is WSOFAN, WSOFAN, this is Mr. Merriam and Webster.....

Let's try an example: :thinking: You go to Wet Wendy's. You order a margarita every 20 minutes. You get drunk and Chad comes over and say, Dude, you're cut off today. You wait two minutes and order another. You tell the bartender, "Chad said I was cut off, so I assumed that meant I couldn't get my margarita on the 20 minute schedule." :fail:

Wait, one more: :thinking: You go to your girlfriends house. She says I saw you with that other girl. You are cut off today and slams the door. You wait 2 minutes and ring the door bell, saying, "How about now?" :fail:

I submit, cut off means isolated and without contact, not adjusted.

Now that it has been weakening maybe flights will only be cut off for 2-3 days we will see.

That's just silly. This is a small category 1 storm. We'll probably get one or two storms of this severity and damage potential that roll through Puget Sound in November, but nobody gives them a name...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom