What are the chances that TS Rina will blow out out diving later this week or worse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tend to like to be curmudgeonly all the way around...

Right now I'm enjoying the fact that I basically called this one correctly that it would weaken and that its not going to remotely be a wilma or dean...

Feels much better to gloat when everyone is gonna be safe...

There's a lot of storm paranoia here in the States.

Of course, I ran to good 'ol SB for the latest news right from the dive site and the various horses mouths.

Man, was I confused. Can't you cats and kittens come up with a consistent story, er what?

Everything from "it'll be a little damp" to 'it's all over but the shouting'.

Why, that WSOP dude had me scared outta my wits!

So, I got out the 'ol magic 8 ball. That sumbuck never fails.

The answer? "It is decidedly so"

That's it baby. I'm coming into town on Nov 9 with my bags full of batteries, re-bar, and candy.

In the meantime, could you local yokels in Coz keep us all informed? Tell me about it too. I'll be in the bar.

As to the electric being cut off, DD have you ever looked closely at the service lines? I have a friend who is an electric co risk manager and I like to email her photos of some of them. Freaks her out. So its probably a good idea to cut the power.

In one of my more recent trips while staying at Fiesta Americana, we experienced a brief heavy thunderstorm with high winds that pretty much pushed all the loungers in the pools but not much else of consequence. During the height of the storm, we lost power for about 2 hours and was told the city turned the power off across the grid. Like many have said, they have a lot of experience with this... this is probably just another step in their preparations.

My posts are for those interested
And guess what? Nobody here is interested as evident by the single lonely Like you have received thus far. But thanks for playing! :consolation:

Just stating the obvious. Historical storm tracks are good for an understanding of how things work seasonally.
My source is the National Weather Service, and they update the map constantly.
Since I posted invest97 has been dissolved, that is the only area of remote concern besides Rita, and a disturbance in the Atlantic.
All respectable models show that disturbance going out to sea.
Uh, not sure what your point is but I think we agree... don't we? Or maybe not? I don't know, I'm officially confused and get more confused each time I try to read your post. :popcorn:

Again early on, Mr. Gloomy Gus, you said and I quote, "At some point flights will be canceled and not started again for days and tourists will be stuck there." (Emphasis added) You wanna define "days" and we can bet on it? :poker: Flights were landing today.

The OP was scheduled to arrive on Tuesday......IMO I would have cancelled in their position for many reasons flights one of them....not sure what they did.....now the thread has moved on to travelers getting there this weekend, what size the storm is, etc. etc. Once again, gloomy or not, here and elsewhere during hurricanes it takes days sometimes before flights are up and running. Now that it has been weakening maybe flights will only be cut off for 2-3 days we will see.

And guess what? Nobody here is interested as evident by the single lonely Like you have received thus far. But thanks for playing! :consolation:

I am not posting for likes but since you mentioned it there were 7 in this thread.
What makes you think my posts are strictly for board members?
Now when you are done verifying those likes at my profile page and removing your foot from your mouth feel free to MYOB.

7pm noaa update:

bulletin
hurricane rina intermediate advisory number 15a
nws national hurricane center miami fl al182011
700 pm cdt wed oct 26 2011

...eye of hurricane rina within the scope of belize radar...

Summary of 700 pm cdt...0000 utc...information
----------------------------------------------
location...18.3n 86.2w
about 150 mi...240 km sse of cozumel mexico
about 140 mi...225 km e of chetumal mexico
maximum sustained winds...85 mph...140 km/h
present movement...nw or 310 degrees at 6 mph...9 km/h
minimum central pressure...979 mb...28.91 inches

watches and warnings
--------------------
changes with this advisory...

The government of belize has discontinued the tropical storm watch
from belize city to the mexican border.

Summary of watches and warnings in effect...

A hurricane warning is in effect for...
* the northeast coast of the yucatan peninsula from north of punta
gruesa to san felipe

a tropical storm warning is in effect for...
* the east coast of the yucatan peninsula from chetumal to punta
gruesa
* the north coast of the yucatan peninsula west of san felipe to
progreso

preparations to protect life and property should be rushed to
completion in the warning area.

Interests in western cuba should monitor the progress of rina.

For storm information specific to your area...please monitor
products issued by your national meteorological service.

Discussion and 48-hour outlook
------------------------------
satellite images and radar data from belize indicate that at 700 pm
cdt...0000 utc...the center of hurricane rina was located
near latitude 18.3 north...longitude 86.2 west. Rina is moving
toward the northwest near 6 mph...9 km/h. A gradual turn to
the north with a slight increase in forward speed is expected
tonight and thursday. On the forecast track...the center of rina
will be moving near or over the east coast of the yucatan peninsula
on thursday.

Maximum sustained winds are near 85 mph...140 km/h...with higher
gusts. Rina is a category one hurricane on the saffir-simpson
hurricane wind scale. No important changes in strength are
expected before the center of rina reaches the coast of the yucatan
peninsula on thursday. A noaa hurricane hunter plane is currently
approaching rina.

Hurricane force winds extend outward up to 15 miles...30 km...from
the center...and tropical storm force winds extend outward up to 105
miles...165 km.

Estimated minimum central pressure is 979 mb...28.91 inches.

Hazards affecting land
----------------------
wind...tropical storm conditions are expected to reach the coast in
the tropical storm warning area tonight...making outside
preparations difficult or dangerous. Hurricane conditions are
expected to begin within the hurricane warning area on thursday.

Rainfall...rina is expected to produce rainfall amounts of 8 to 16
inches over the eastern yucatan peninsula and cozumel through
friday.

Storm surge...a dangerous storm surge will raise water levels by
as much as 2 to 4 feet above normal tide levels along the
immediate coast near and to the right of the track of the center.
Near the coast...the surge will be accompanied by large and
destructive waves.

The OP was scheduled to arrive on Tuesday......IMO I would have cancelled in their position for many reasons flights one of them....not sure what they did.....now the thread has moved on to travelers getting there this weekend, what size the storm is, etc. etc. Once again, gloomy or not, here and elsewhere during hurricanes it takes days sometimes before flights are up and running. Now that it has been weakening maybe flights will only be cut off for 2-3 days we will see.

OMG, you're like a freaking leaky faucet! Better yet, you like a bad bout of fecal incontinence! You're hint of optimism that "flights will ONLY be cut off for 2-3 days"!?!? Are you for real? You want to talk laughable!?!? That is the funniest thing I've read since your last nonsensical post where you think your posts are actually helpful. :rofl3: Further, you write this stuff as if it's the gospel. Where do you get these facts? Do you have a crystal ball?

Like I've been saying over and over and over again: THE DAMN STORM HASN'T EVEN HIT YET!!!! How can anyone in the world know how long it's going to be before flights return? You still have yet to divulge much about yourself personally (your bio is still empty and until Opal's accident, I'd never seen you around here) so I have to take it on face value that you have no experience with living though a hurricane much less a tropical storm anywhere at anytime and know absolutely nothing from experience and what to expect in the aftermath.

I'm not a betting man, but I bet flights will resume on Friday if the storm stays on it's current track with decreasing intensity.

Correct me if I'm wrong but were flights even suspended for 3 days after Wilma?

I am not posting for likes but since you mentioned it there were 7 in this thread.
What makes you think my posts are strictly for board members?
Now when you are done verifying those likes at my profile page and removing your foot from your mouth feel free to MYOB.

Not that I have the time for your BS or to entertain your antics but it's good to see you can count. 3 of your 7 likes were received on comments you made about the dolphins. The other 4 likes you received were by 1 person, dougr52.... I count that as 1.... one, lonely person the appreciates your weather updates who happens to be a member. Now that you know my foot isn't and wasn't occupied in my mouth, is there somewhere you'd like me to put it??? I have an idea!

Now, where is that ignore button??? Ah, there it is. C-ya dude!

Ok. You putting up the pesos on 2 days or 3 days the airport is closed? Giant WW Margarita? Several Rounds of Sol at El Fish? Call it. I'll bet on sweetness and light. You gonna put up for gloom and doom?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom