What are the chances that TS Rina will blow out out diving later this week or worse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cancun, Mexico (CNN) -- A hurricane hunter aircraft found Wednesday that Hurricane Rina had "significantly weakened," and had become a Category 1 storm, the National Hurricane Center said......Travel from the mainland to the island of Cozumel and back will be suspended beginning at 4 p.m. Wednesday....The storm is set to dump 8 to 16 inches of rain over Cozumel and the eastern Yucatan through Friday, the Hurricane Center said. Rina's storm surge is expected to raise water levels by as much as 2 to 4 feet above normal tide levels, especially near and to the right of its center, forecasters said, and also is expected to cause "large and destructive" waves.

Not a 2, weakened to a 1. The wave/surge part is worrisome, but it's good news considering what was being forecasted yesterday. We all love this island and their people and are praying for this to be minimal and over quickly.

His Magic 8-Ball is pretty good actually. :eyebrow:

How do you know I am not posting these updates for people I know on the island?

Hmmmm remember when I said many people can see right through your intentions? That's how.... The dissapointment in the way you're posting about the storm losing strength is OBVIOUS, though you might think to yourself otherwise. From reading your posts over time, I seriously doubt you would be posting ANY storm info, directed at people on the island (very few people on the island read this forum, and those who do are much better informed than you), you just don't strike me as a sincerely caring person... it's that underlying layer of snide and sneer I mentioned before... maybe you think you "hide it well" but you really don't... it's actually pathetic... but not really important in any sense, just an observation, since you opened yourself up with your dumb question I quoted above...

Last edited:
It would be really nice to get hit with a TS vs. a hurricane but that would require a lot of weakening and may be too much to wish for. People here are monitoring the weather reports and waiting for news about electrical turnoff, the dry law, curfew, etc. These are the primary topics of island conversation today. And We Are Ready. We will deal with whatever comes along and our community will remain strong and united. Ya hear that, Rina?

AMEN Sistah!!! Take care and stay safe my friend!

You stated there is "talk" it might not even be a hurricane by the time it arrives. What talk? Did you shake up your magic 8 ball to get that statement? The quote I provided was a factual update provided by a weather website that looks like the same statements issued by NOAA. How do you know I am not posting these updates for people I know on the island?

WSOPFAN, Note: I am the guy that defended you like pages ago. I think it is great that you are posting updates. I was making satirical comment on the fact that some people seemed a little doom and gloomy. I used your post as an illustration of the classic water glass half-full versus half-empty dilemma. I also used it to pick on DD, because I like him and like picking on him..... :poke:

I am THRILLED that the outlook for La Isla is improving. I was listening to ScubaTony's updates on Cozumel Radio Cozumel Radio - Home and he makes the good point that as usual he has tons of cancellations because people jump the gun :m16: and don't wait for a storm to shape up and declare its real intentions.

Way back you said: "Might not do much to the island but if I were a tourist I would not want to be there. At some point flights will be canceled and not started again for days and tourists will be stuck there. Also you may want to check this:" Now doesnt that sound like a bit of a big glass of gloom? :sad:

I am saying look how much better it is! So lets all not be Gloomy Guses :reaper: .... Someone should start making calls to snap up some of those cancellations!!

Unless someone there would claim undeniably that people arriving on Saturday or later are a major hindrance, I would go anyway. With the significant reduction in projected winds, possible damage is reduced. Even a few days of less than 100% in amenities is bearable.

Glad to hear that Rina is down to Cat-1. :balloons: Yeah, if you can wait on deciding - hope for the best and still plan to go Sunday. No rush unless you have a lot of background details to decide on, like job, kids, dogs, etc.

So they turn the power off before a storm hits? I guess that's safer. Those generators are bad about CO fumes. Do they even sell home CO detectors on the island? Be careful. Every bad storm in the US is followed by CO news stories. :(

6 Years ago in August hurricane katRINA destroyed all we owned and foiled our November plans to be married in St Kitts. Now in 2011 Hurricane Rina tried to knock us down again.
We will be flying in on November 13th to Be Wed and Certified with Eagle Ray, our very good friends.

No we cant ignore that a hurrricane is coming a shore, but it will not be Wilma, and even here in Dallas we have had straight line winds of 70MPH or more.
Cozumel has become one of my favorite places on earth. Not just because of it's natural beauty, but because of the people we have met there.

Prayers folks, keep your head low. we will not be canceling our plans and hope others who love this Island will support the resorts and dive boats there. Come on folks. Lets help these folks back on their feet

Well, we moved our flights two days later -- frankly, because we don't trust the airlines more than anything!!! But we are still staying the whole 7 days.

We'll make sure we spend some money and maybe help in the cleanup, if we are able. :D

Wow, what a great day full of good news... curmudgeons notwithstanding. What a differnence the last 24 hours has been. All those doomsday profits on the national morning news this morning was making me sick as if the area was already total loss! :shakehead: The post by Jax of the cock-headed owl on the barbed-wire fence says it all.... SYRSLY?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom