What are the biggest challenges for female divers compared to men?

What is your biggest challenge when diving?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am one of those that really loves pink; however, I wanted good fit and performance as well. Just got a Zeagle Zena in hot pink. Can't wait to dive with it - I am able to customize the fit in all the right places. Got a good torso length and hitting at the waist is wonderful and the hip sizing is great.

I'm waiting on my Henderson suit, black with pink. I have hot pink fins as well as hot pink on the snorkel. My gear stands out and does not get confused with anyone else's.

I wear pink for my mom - she died of breast cancer 2 years ago. She'd be proud of my accomplishment in SCUBA.

Cindy

I do draw the line at Hello Kitty on anything....

Your Mom would be proud of you Cindy - it's a great accomplishment.

I read that SEALIFE has a pink camera coming out in September with proceeds going towards a breast cancer awareness organization. I am thinking of getting it! It's just like the regular black one only pink. I know their are alot of you who don't like manufacturers doing that; but I appreciate it. :biggrin3:

Your Mom would be proud of you Cindy - it's a great accomplishment.

I read that SEALIFE has a pink camera coming out in September with proceeds going towards a breast cancer awareness organization. I am thinking of getting it! It's just like the regular black one only pink. I know their are alot of you who don't like manufacturers doing that; but I appreciate it. :biggrin3:

Yes, I saw that ad!!! Guess who has just put that on her wish list!

Pink, on myself, makes me very, very sad. I hate it. I don't have pink anywhere in my world. However, I respect those that do love it and dive it! I love purple and would happily have all my dive gear in purple - so dive pink if you'd like! Just please, dive companies, don't think every female wants pink. I passed on one of the i3 models because no one had it in anything BUT pink piping.

Ick (it really clashed with the orange piping on my wet suit).

I'm lucky in that I'm a rack size so pretty much everything fits me coming off the shelf. The only thing I have issues with is my wrists. I have the hands of a 12 year old. I have a dive watch that looks like I'm lugging around a refrigerator (feels like it).

So I appreciate gear designed for a female body. Most of us have wider hips, breasts, smaller faces/hands/wrists and shorter torsos. When you get beyond just a wetsuit and go into the unisex gear, it can be tough to find stuff (fins and boots, for example). We need more gear designed specifically FOR women. Even better is a dive store that understands this and doesn't try to jam a woman into men's gear just to make a sale.

Pink, on myself, makes me very, very sad. I hate it. I don't have pink anywhere in my world. However, I respect those that do love it and dive it! I love purple and would happily have all my dive gear in purple - so dive pink if you'd like! Just please, dive companies, don't think every female wants pink. I passed on one of the i3 models because no one had it in anything BUT pink piping.

Ick (it really clashed with the orange piping on my wet suit).

I'm lucky in that I'm a rack size so pretty much everything fits me coming off the shelf. The only thing I have issues with is my wrists. I have the hands of a 12 year old. I have a dive watch that looks like I'm lugging around a refrigerator (feels like it).

So I appreciate gear designed for a female body. Most of us have wider hips, breasts, smaller faces/hands/wrists and shorter torsos. When you get beyond just a wetsuit and go into the unisex gear, it can be tough to find stuff (fins and boots, for example). We need more gear designed specifically FOR women. Even better is a dive store that understands this and doesn't try to jam a woman into men's gear just to make a sale.

I could totally rock some purple, too! It's the color for pancreatic cancer awareness (MIL died from this). I just ordered by wetsuit and was amazed at the difference between a suit designed for the female form as opposed to generic rental gear! I have larger wrists average hands. My feet are small (had people actually ask me how I walk on such tiny feet - I reply "Very well, thank you") and my lower legs are fairly short, so my ankles have to be weighted for me to actually keep my feet underneath me. Otherwise, I wound up in some laughable orientations in the water!

I am fortunate to have more than one LDS and each one carries a good selection of women's gear.

I've not had much problem with suits as I mostly dive tropical waters. I was very pleasantly surprised that my aquatex suit fit perfectly even in length. I'm 5'3" and my inseam is 28" so my torso is, I guess, long. Only problem with my wetsuit is that i purchased it about a month before i found out i was pregnant with my one and only. I havent had a chance to try it on after that (kinda scared to). My biggest problem in salt, I've found, I can't bring my feet down in waters 20' or less. I'm literally floating upside down if my bc is not somewhat inflated. After that, ankle weights would just make my ankles even more tired. I noticed my fins require my boots. With the older style fins, I could go bootless easily. So I HAVE to be sure I'm done even snorkeling for me to take off my boots.

Im not a fan of pink either. I'd prefer more color options also.

I'm of pacific islander roots. My trainers say my upper body is stronger than most women, I have duck feet and tiny ankles. My butt fits my office chair too well and my shoulders are broad. I have monster thighs from ice skating and a disk out of place in my spine. Carrying the gear is a FOL with this sport, for me. Unless I can flirt with the locals who would climb coconut trees so that I can have a drink. If they'll do that, SURELY they'd carry my gear. :wink:

I have found one advantage to having pink & black fins, my buddy can still see me in a low viz quarry. Other than that, I am just happy they fit perfect. As for the tank size issue, I found that using a AL63 instead of an AL80 works great if you are a bit on the short side like I am. :)

I was in a big box scuba retailer (last time I ever went in there) several years ago checking out the latest widgets and a nice looking gentleman was eyeballing regs. I spoke up and gave a thumbs up review for the Titan for beginners, which his girlfriend was. He stated, she wants all her gear in pink. He said she wasn't even certified yet, but he was dropping $3k in gear that day. Was I jealous? Maybe, but then I saw her..... and she was the real life version of a Barbie doll, full of silicone and 4" heels. The good news is that she probably didn't need that pink I3 for bouyancy.

Thank for, Airleron, for making me spit water on my monitor screen. I needed a good laugh!!

I was in a big box scuba retailer (last time I ever went in there) several years ago checking out the latest widgets and a nice looking gentleman was eyeballing regs. I spoke up and gave a thumbs up review for the Titan for beginners, which his girlfriend was. He stated, she wants all her gear in pink. He said she wasn't even certified yet, but he was dropping $3k in gear that day. Was I jealous? Maybe, but then I saw her..... and she was the real life version of a Barbie doll, full of silicone and 4" heels. The good news is that she probably didn't need that pink I3 for bouyancy.

Sounds like you still were jealous after you saw her...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom