What are the accessories that you will always dive with, and why ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting. What brand and model ?
Mine is no longer made. It was made by Watershot. Has a very small LiOn battery with huge power reserves that mounts on my waist strap and a cord to the light head which is tiny and on my hand with a soft neoprene mount. Way smaller than tech "can" lights and every bit as bright. 4 hours run time on high (2000 lumens). 6 years old and 200+ dives and never a problem of any kind. Same for my wife's light. Personally, I have amassed enough spare light heads and batteries to keep my watershot going for years longer. They were absolutely the best recreational lights ever made in my view.

Nowadays, you can get very nice Big Blue lights that are self-contained with no cord and mount on your hand. Quite a bit bigger on the hand, but no separate battery pack and cord. Definitely want 2000 lumen, and a beam with a 10-20 degree spot and a nice bright "spill" to light the surrounding areas. Do not want a tight 6 or 8 "tech" beam. That is for a different purpose (penetrating murky water, or signalling) whereas I want to light up a wider area to enjoy the colors. My watershot's beam is plenty tight and bright for signalling, however, if I need to (another handy reason to have a light).

I see you dive in Canada, so maybe your conditions call for something else in terms of lighting from my clear water tropical diving. For example, if your water is murky, you would want a tighter beam than what I use.

My video camera... got to bring home the footage to share with divers and non-divers

Don't remember if I answered this before but I believe in redundancy anyway. A pony. I always carry it - always, every dive, no matter if I'm solo or not (because you are always diving solo no matter how many divers are in the water, or how many buddies you have, or how much experience they have or what you discussed during the dive plan).

Short sharp serrated (Victorinox) line cutting device on waistbelt for line or fishing nets, BFK on inside of left leg calf area to harvest scallops or to protect myself against enemy divers, a 1000 lumen DRIS light clipped off and bungeed to my left shoulder strap to look into cracks, a goody bag for scallops or all the gold coins I might find someday, a speargun to bring home dinner...or to protect myself against enemy divers, and a game hook.

The perfect refresher during SI! I bring about 30 per Dive and share...100 count lasts about a week :wink:

Amazon Photos

- Line cutter (mounted on BP/W strap)
- Whistle (ditto)
- Signaling mirror (ditto)
- DSMB (6')
- Reel
- Light
- Gloves
- Camera
- Compass

Depending on the dive, I may also carry a slate and a spare mask.

My save-a-dive kit includes a spare mask strap, O rings, Allen keys, silicone grease, spare batteries, adjustable wrench, zip ties, etc.

Dive Knife
Dive Shears w/ Line Cutter
Compass
Spare Mask
Signaling Duck
Whistle
2nd Non-AI Dive Computer
DSMB and Reel
Tank Light
Spare Flashlight
Tank Mounted Strobe
Dive Mirror

Why? Because two is one and one is none!

I always dive with a fin loop.
We do a lot of shore diving here, and it's helpful on surf exits to have both hands free after clipping off the fins.
Like the one pictured, but I've repalced the plastic clip with an SS locking oval.
I clip it to the lower port-side D-ring of my harness.
Over the years it's been handy in dozen of situations to secure various things.
It's also good for strangling enemy divers.
(I'm with you Mr Sedletsky).

loop.jpg

19cf pony bottle, because redundancy rules. I have a great dive buddy, but you can never be too safe. Neither of us have ever had to deal with, say a first stage failure at 100'.
DGX800 primary light and DGX600 backup, because redundancy rules.
A compass.

Back
Top Bottom