What add on is SB trying to run on my system?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the link Howard - I started getting the same message January 1st as well ... and I keep everything up to date, current anti-virus and spyware definitions too ... oh well ... time to find the culprit.
"What antivirus software?" would be my first question. Not all of the well known AV solutions are very good, unfortunately..

Your browser is compromised.

If it's IE 6 you can turn off "Browser Helper Objects" on the "Advanced" in setup. If it's IE 7, you can try hitting the "Nuke" button (don't remeber what it's called, but it restores the initial out-of-the-box config, and uninstalls any add-ons).

If you still get the pop-up and the AV software doesn't find anything, you'll need to reinstall Windows.

If you don't actually need any Microsoft specific features, I'd suggest downloading a bootable version of Linux, like Kubuntu or Knoppix. They're completely non-infectable, since they run from CD.

Terry

Hi folks,

I've been on SB for a few years now. Yesterday, my browser gives me a notification that

"This website wants to run the following add-on: 'Microsoft Data Access -Remote Data Services Dat...' from 'Microsoft Corporation (unverified publisher)'. If you trust the website and the add-on and want to allow it to run, click here..."

This only happens on the SB website. Anyone know what this add-on is and what its going to do to my system?

Id actually say try an online virus scanner, a network virus scanner or simply a different antivirus program before reinstalling windows tho..
Ive tried scanning with several different av programs on the same computer and some found the virus and some didnt..

I've been running AVG professional from Grisoft (had it for years since dumping Norton :S ) and using IE7 on Vista. I did find it odd that it began January 1 - kind of like those viruses that have an initiation date.

I'll try resetting IE first (never needed to do that before ...)

Aloha, Tim

decided to reset things one by one - looks like it was a cookie that was causing the trouble ... no clue which one though ...

Thanks guys,

Aloha, Tim

I've been running AVG professional from Grisoft (had it for years since dumping Norton :S ) and using IE7 on Vista. I did find it odd that it began January 1 - kind of like those viruses that have an initiation date.

I'll try resetting IE first (never needed to do that before ...)

Aloha, Tim

AV software is hurting in a bad way now, and is playing a losing game of "catch-up".

The new malware is extremely hard to detect and changes at a more rapid rate than the AV software companies can update.

The real "fix" would be to run an OS and software that is inherently non-infectable. This probably won't happen, since it would interfere with the warm, fuzzy, highly interactive, media-heavy web "experience" that is currently being promoted.

Terry

decided to reset things one by one - looks like it was a cookie that was causing the trouble ... no clue which one though ...

Cookies aren't executable. It's unlikely that deleting the cookie actually fixed anything, it's more likely that whatever is running on your system just behaves differently when the cookie is gone. I'll bet that whatever you had before is still there, you just can't see it.

Sorry to be the voice of doom, but I've been analyzing viruses and malware for close to 30 years, and would be amazed if deleting cookies actually removed the infection.

Terry

my browser spools when i am on scubaboard. in the console I get 'Read pagead2.googlesyndication.com' as the non-loading component. It doesnet change/effect anything else on my system. It may not be loading since I'm on a mac, but this does spool the browser...and after leaving the page on the browser for 5-6 hours the browser hangs.

One of your advertisers banners may have some embedded junk in it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom