What add on is SB trying to run on my system?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapilot2000

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've been on SB for a few years now. Yesterday, my browser gives me a notification that

"This website wants to run the following add-on: 'Microsoft Data Access -Remote Data Services Dat...' from 'Microsoft Corporation (unverified publisher)'. If you trust the website and the add-on and want to allow it to run, click here..."

This only happens on the SB website. Anyone know what this add-on is and what its going to do to my system?

Sb has no add ons. The only "plugin" required for SB is "Flash Player" from Adobe. Which is used to display some of the advertising.

If you get another message like that, please capture a screen shot, so I can investigate.

It's that megalomaniac that runs Microsloth trying to capture data on what programs you have and whether they are legal copies. Of course I didn't know Bill Gates was into diving (although co-founder Paul Allen certainly is).. and I'm just kidding. I use Windoze on all my computers.... even the Macs!

It's happening on every page I go to for some reason. Screen cap attached.

Attachments

• SB add-on issue.JPG
    SB add-on issue.JPG
    172.9 KB · Views: 96
I found this article - by googling your message
what does the "Microsoft data access" "remote data services" add-in do? - microsoft.public.security | Google Groups

It appears that you may want to do a spyware / virus scan on your system. The request to download that file isn't actually coming from ScubaBoard. Whatever you do... don't click on it. But as far as Site Support is concerned, there isn't anything we can do on our end, as we're not really requesting that you add on the "add-on".

However, you may want to ask on some of our other forums for some of our Windows experts to help you out with this one.

Thanks for the link Howard - I started getting the same message January 1st as well ... and I keep everything up to date, current anti-virus and spyware definitions too ... oh well ... time to find the culprit.

If you find a culprit, please post it. Since now 2 members are having this issue.

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom