What add on is SB trying to run on my system?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your browser is compromised.

If it's IE 6 you can turn off "Browser Helper Objects" on the "Advanced" in setup. If it's IE 7, you can try hitting the "Nuke" button (don't remeber what it's called, but it restores the initial out-of-the-box config, and uninstalls any add-ons).

If you still get the pop-up and the AV software doesn't find anything, you'll need to reinstall Windows.

If you don't actually need any Microsoft specific features, I'd suggest downloading a bootable version of Linux, like Kubuntu or Knoppix. They're completely non-infectable, since they run from CD.

Terry

Wow, what a huge overreaction. RDS has been part of MS products one way or another since IIS4.0. There is a CHANCE that this person MIGHT have something on his/her machine, just seeing the the permission request to allow does not in itself mean a machine is infected with anything. Telling someone to completely reinstall windows if nothing is found is irresponsible, and ignores the fact that nothing may BE there to even be found.

Wow, what a huge overreaction. RDS has been part of MS products one way or another since IIS4.0. There is a CHANCE that this person MIGHT have something on his/her machine, just seeing the the permission request to allow does not in itself mean a machine is infected with anything. Telling someone to completely reinstall windows if nothing is found is irresponsible, and ignores the fact that nothing may BE there to even be found.

The user's machine is asking for permission for RDS when accessing SB, which does not use RDS. The chances of the request being legitimate are extremely slim.

RDS is inherently insecure and has been a popular vector for compromising both clients and servers and can be used to gain complete access to the local filesystem. It has been used in a large number of browser and server compromises, and Microsoft has issued several warnings and a number of bulletins on how to partially or fully disable it.

Unless the user has installed custom software that happens to use RDS, there is no reason to be getting warning messages when browsing SB.

Terry

Please check this article I previously posted.

ScubaBoard does not use ANY plug-ins or Add-Ons to IE, FF, or other browsers except the Adobe FLASH PLAYER. Which most users already have installed. As Web Monkey states - While RDS is a part of MS, and many users use it; ScubaBoard has NO requirements for this, and the aforementioned article references how this is a scam.

While re-installing Windows should be a last resort. There is obviously some mal-ware on these users' computers and caution should be exercised.

If anyone else gets this warning on their screen (while browsing ScubaBoard). REMEMBER - do NOT install it.

The user's machine is asking for permission for RDS when accessing SB, which does not use RDS. The chances of the request being legitimate are extremely slim.

RDS is inherently insecure and has been a popular vector for compromising both clients and servers and can be used to gain complete access to the local filesystem. It has been used in a large number of browser and server compromises, and Microsoft has issued several warnings and a number of bulletins on how to partially or fully disable it.

Unless the user has installed custom software that happens to use RDS, there is no reason to be getting warning messages when browsing SB.

Terry
The "unless the user has installed custom software.." part is probably where I would start investigating before reinstalling a system..

Please check this article I previously posted.

ScubaBoard does not use ANY plug-ins or Add-Ons to IE, FF, or other browsers except the Adobe FLASH PLAYER. Which most users already have installed. As Web Monkey states - While RDS is a part of MS, and many users use it; ScubaBoard has NO requirements for this, and the aforementioned article references how this is a scam.

While re-installing Windows should be a last resort. There is obviously some mal-ware on these users' computers and caution should be exercised.

If anyone else gets this warning on their screen (while browsing ScubaBoard). REMEMBER - do NOT install it.

Hi Howard,

I did read your previous post. The link you pointed to also included this statement : "Also notice the "activex.microsoft.com" entries, this is what Windows generates when a prompt has been interrupted ... that's a good thing" which is really my point. This prompt does NOT mean that there is obviously some mal-ware on the users computer, it means that the brower was waiting for approval to install something that could have been mal-ware or a virus.
I am suggesting that if the user did not click on the activex control to allow it to install, if the machine appears to be functioning normally, and if an AV and spyware scan with current definitions show the machine is clean, then it might be hasty to suggest he has to blow out his computer and start over.
Just as one small example, I browsed around until I found a site with the exact same prompt. If I didn't allow the install I was fine, when I excepted the install it tried to put a trojan downloader on my machine, which Norton saw and blocked. With further investigation the trojan download was one that Norton has know about and included in its defs since 2001. Webmonkey's post is similar to what I am saying, we are just looking at it in different ways. It is a known issue, and it will continue to be a known issue even if the OP reinstalls his OS. And as a known issue it should be able to fix his problem (if there is one) without reinstalling his OS.
I am not suggesting that people don't protect themselves and/or reinstall if required. I own an IT services company and we are a MS Gold Partner. For every one machine I see come in with a legit spyware/virus problem I get 6 that have to be repaired because someone told them they had a problem when they didn't, costing them hundreds to get their machines back in working order when they tried to format and reinstall themselves. So I am trying to say to the OP, don't blow out your computer just because you saw one prompt, IMO that would be a knee-jerk reaction, and should be a last resort.

If anyone else gets this warning on their screen (while browsing ScubaBoard). REMEMBER - do NOT install it..
Definitely good advice, and thanks for doing what you can to protect people.

Jason - Thanks for sharing your expertise :)

This is not really in line with the OP's original question but I'll post anyway in hopes it will help some people here. I have had continuous problems with three different computers running Internet Explorer. Numerous problems of varied nature, lockups, blue screens of death, etc, etc. Switched all over to Mozilla Firefox browser and life is beautiful!

I am suggesting that if the user did not click on the activex control to allow it to install, if the machine appears to be functioning normally, and if an AV and spyware scan with current definitions show the machine is clean, then it might be hasty to suggest he has to blow out his computer and start over.

[rant]While I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, since SB does not use (and in fact is incapable of using) RDS or any other ActiveX controls with the exception of Flash, any request to use ActiveX controls during a browser session with SB would indicate that the user's computer is already compromised. If the computer were not compromised, there would be nothing trying to load RDS and there would be no message.

The entire "virus" problem and the incessant "Do you want to allow this?" popup business in Vista is nothing more than lip service from Microsoft to make it look like they're doing something. Most users have no idea if they should allow "XYZ" to load or access the internet, so eventually, they get trained to ignore the warning and just say "yes"

In reality, there's no reason for computer viruses to even be possible. My hardware should only run applications that I install. It's not rocket science, and in fact, is one of the reasons why Unix and Linux have been relatively secure: normal users and user applications don't have the rights to modify system settings or software, and anything you download is just data until you mark it as executable.

However, Microsoft has no need to actually secure their OS, since they're effectively a monopoly (yes I know about Apple, but it doesn't represent a real threat to the Microsoft sales ). In fact, by promoting each version of Windows as "more secure" the continuing virus threat encourages frequent upgrades where no real (business/user) need exits. The AV software vendors have a vested interest in an endless supply of new viruses, since without them, they would have no recurring revenue stream for AV subscription updates. The virus writers accommodate this with an endless stream of new viruses, each of which is undetectable for anywhere from a few days to a few weeks, and are now well organized businesses that infect machines and sell the distributed processing and network capacity to spammers.

In fact, the latest batch of viruses provides a fluid, undetectable, untraceable, encrypted computing and network resource that's effectively the most powerful and failure-proof on the planet.

It's an entire interdependent ecosystem built from different groups that all need each other to survive, based on users never learning that they can actually step off the treadmill by abandoning Windows and Microsoft products.

Terry[/rant]

Time to start hanging people who create these kinds of programs. If we could get a program made that would trace the offender to it's source and then make that person commit suicide by suspending himself over his keyboard and slicing his own throat maybe the stuff would slow down.

Web Monkey: You are aware that Vista is running basically the same type of UAC as many linux/unix systems do?
And whats the result when people test it? They disable the UAC, create admin users that they use to run their computer and in any other possible way basically remove all the security features, often without knowing it.
The popups asking you to allow stuff is also not unique to Vista, its all over windows and especially IE.
It doesnt matter what OS people run if they disable the security or allow programs they dont know what do to run. It doesnt matter if its Vista that ask me to grant access for a program I try to start by password or if it is my Linux computers that does it, as long as I grant the access without being aware that what I run is malware.
The main reason for windows to be a target is also volume more than anything. If Mac or Linux had as much "newbie users" as windows does, there would be as much viruses for those. The fun part is that its starting to come viruses for cellphones as well.. SWEET!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom