Whassup with Chat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SubMariner

C'est Moi
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I am presuming there was some kind of software update, because this morning I had to re-enter my user name & password. No biggie.

However, when I come onto SB there is no indicator as to how many people are in chat. Also, chat does not open in a separate window, which I think most of us prefer.

Whassup?

BTW, I have not changed my browser (Firefox) or other settings.

Thanks,

It's not you. It's the new navigation bar. It's being worked on but may take some time.

In the meantime. If you go to this page: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/forum.php at the bottom it shows "who is chatting now"

For now... That's the only way to see.

As for the popout. There is a button in the toolbar in the chat to pop out the window.

chat.jpg

I think it used to open the chat in a new window. If it's possible at all, I'd think the optimal user experience would be to auto launch in a seperate full screen (pop out) window so I can keep navigating SB from the original window.

What I show works.

Pop out the chat... Keep navigating on SB.

I was just notified by email that the "fix" to the navigation bar will not be available for several weeks. Until then, use the "what's going on" block at the forumhome to see who is there. Or just click it without knowing.

I think it used to open the chat in a new window. If it's possible at all, I'd think the optimal user experience would be to auto launch in a seperate full screen (pop out) window so I can keep navigating SB from the original window.

Exactly... which is what it was doing before.

Howard: If you use the "separate chat function", it opens another window, but I get nothing in that window except a Java icon in the midst of a Java chat box.

Plus the slider/scroll in the chat doesn't seem to function so you can scroll up/down to see what has been going on in the chat.

It is what it is. I don't know how it was before, because I don't use it. The chat is a product, that is hosted on a 3rd party site. I just pay a license fee. I can't make changes to it. So you'll have to get used to the way it is now.

I realize you think this officially sucks, but perhaps you should try another web browser? That could fix your inability to use the popout.

Last edited:
it opens another window, but I get nothing in that window except a Java icon in the midst of a Java chat box.
If you pop-out the chat in Firefox, you will see the Java main window - it should be behind the Chat window though. If you don't see the chat window, look for a Java chat icon on your Windows taskbar as it's running in a separate Java process.

If it matters I'm running Firefox12 and Java 6.0.310.5 You might update Java and see if that helps.
Plus the slider/scroll in the chat doesn't seem to function so you can scroll up/down to see what has been going on in the chat.
It does for me - seems to show the last 5? minutes of the previous chat. I don't chat enough to know if that's normal.

Last edited:
If you pop-out the chat in Firefox, you will see the Java main window - it should be behind the Chat window though. If you don't see the chat window, look for a Java chat icon on your Windows taskbar as it's running in a separate Java process.

If it matters I'm running Firefox12 and Java 6.0.310.5 You might update Java and see if that helps.
It does for me - seems to show the last 5? minutes of the previous chat. I don't chat enough to know if that's normal.

Steve, I am running the same version of FF and Java. Today when I took the screenshots the scroll bar was actually visible and it showed about the amount of "history" as you mentioned.

It is what it is. I don't know how it was before, because I don't use it. The chat is a product, that is hosted on a 3rd party site. I just pay a license fee. I can't make changes to it. So you'll have to get used to the way it is now.

I realize you think this officially sucks, but perhaps you should try another web browser? That could fix your inability to use the popout.

Howard, I realize that every time there is an upgrade in software, hardware, whatever, you get pummeled with negative feedback. But I'm feeling some unwarranted hostility from your post akin to "This is the way it is, so deal with it". C'mon man, you're better than this!

A few moments ago I again went into chat to see what was going on. As I mentioned in my remarks to Steve, there was definitely a visible scroll bar on the right as well as a chat history. As before, when I disengage the chat window, I get a full chat screen in the foreground, and essentially an "empty chat" screen behind. I have attached to screenshots to illustrate what I'm talking about: #1 is the "front" chat window and #2 is what is behind.

Screenshot1.jpgScreenshot2.jpgScreenshot1.jpg

Howard, I realize that every time there is an upgrade in software, hardware, whatever, you get pummeled with negative feedback. But I'm feeling some unwarranted hostility from your post akin to "This is the way it is, so deal with it". C'mon man, you're better than this!

Actually... there's been no negative feedback on the last several updates except for this. The fact that "it is what it is"; is true. I can't make changes to the chat. The chat is a product which I pay for. It's hosted on another site. What part of that don't you get? I reported your issues to the developers/hosts of the chat. They were unaware of the vBulletin update, and told me late June to early July before anything can be remedied. If you don't like my matter of fact response. Sorry. Should I try to sweeten it more? Personally, I find the "wassup" a little obnoxious, and maybe if the initial complaint were less complainy, I might be a little sweeter too? You know what they say. you catch more flies :wink:

A few moments ago I again went into chat to see what was going on. As I mentioned in my remarks to Steve, there was definitely a visible scroll bar on the right as well as a chat history. As before, when I disengage the chat window, I get a full chat screen in the foreground, and essentially an "empty chat" screen behind. I have attached to screenshots to illustrate what I'm talking about: #1 is the "front" chat window and #2 is what is behind.

Yeah... so... with this. The chat screen in the foreground. You can re-size it and in the "empty chat" screen behind... you can go wherever you want. Like this ->

chat window.jpg

I hope this further explains your window pop-out issue. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom