Whaling: Right or Wrong?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill:
Kompressor- I'm interested in the meat itself. Is it fatty as I would expect?

It's not fatty at all, as many may have expected. It's also very "healthy" from a nutritious perspective.

"Whale meat is rich in protein (23.5%), lean and tasty. Whale products are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, selenium, vitamin E etc."

drbill:
One could insert <United States residents> in this statement almost as easily. Note I didn't say "Americans" although it is probably true of those who live in urban environs.

As I tried to say earlier, while the Japanese may deserve criticism for their whaling activities, there are many other (most?) countries including the United States that are equally deserving. This does not apologize for, or justify the behavior of the Japanese. What it does say is something to the effect of "those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!"

although it is probably true of those who live in urban environs.

I assume you do sell your DVD's to urbanised and get your dive,video and computer equipment from the urban centers.

Fact is we all contribute to the demise of the planet, the six million dollar question is where do we draw the line. Saying someone can not speak out against something believed to be wrong because they also do something wrong is stupid. We all damage the environment pointing out destructive things weather it be whaling, 4x4 cars or video equipment can only help point out problems.

jagfish:
As Kim said, this kind of thread comes up at least once a year. It often has Japan as it's main Villain. I've wondered why the remaining European whaling cultures don't get the attention. Maybe it's a numbers thing (Japan harvests larger numbers?), or maybe Japanese seem more foreign, maybe it's a combination of both.

Of all such threads I've read, I think this one might be the most civil. Good points have been made on both sides, with some nonsense thrown in now and then.

A couple points I'd like to address...
First, as Kim alluded to, since Japan depends a great deal on the sea, the country puts a great deal of resources toward understanding and protecting the seas. Furthermore, the fishermen are a powerful group, economically and politically (as divers can attest to).However, I'm with Andy on the Scientific research label seems dodgy.

Second, people find it hard to understand why a culture would want to consume whales. We look at whales and hear music and imagine kids movies. Older generation folks here in Japan see something that is on the menu. Period. I think the younger generation here likely feels differently since younger folks have never eaten whale.

Caveman- download the Google browser bar. It has a spell- checker built in. Quite handy, other great features as well.

since Japan depends a great deal on the sea

They do not depend on the whale

KOMPRESSOR:
It's not fatty at all, as many may have expected. It's also very "healthy" from a nutritious perspective.

"Whale meat is rich in protein (23.5%), lean and tasty. Whale products are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, selenium, vitamin E etc."

How would you prepare the meat for cooking. and do you grill it or broil it?

if i could I would love to give it a taste.

cdiver2:
Fact is we all contribute to the demise of the planet, the six million dollar question is where do we draw the line. Saying someone can not speak out against something believed to be wrong because they also do something wrong is stupid. We all damage the environment pointing out destructive things weather it be whaling, 4x4 cars or video equipment can only help point out problems.

I think you misinterpreted the intent of my post. I have never said people shouldn't speak out against what they feel are environmental "wrongs." I've simply said, as you have, that when speaking out we must also consider that we are ALL part of the problem.

Back in the 60's and 70's when I started teaching both ecology and environmental issues in high school, a number of my students would say that they disliked business for the damage it caused to the environment. I would point out that they (like me) wore hiking boots, carried backpacks, toted cameras, etc., that were made by various manufacturing industries.

My comments were directed at the self-righteousness of those who decry the acts of others without recognizing the wrongs they themselves (or their societies) commit.

As for myself, I only buy things that I need for my business and personal activities. I do not own a car here on the island (due to a conscious choice made decades ago to live in a community where I could actually do this), but do have one on the mainland (a beat up 1987 Toyota Tercel which does get great mileage). My stereo equipment is decades old and still more than sufficient for my listening needs (after all, I'm a long-term diver so my hearing is almost gone anyway).

We all make personal choices as to what we are willing to do to lessen our impact on the environment. Of course none of us can completely eliminate impacts since by nature we do prefer to be fed, clothed and housed! I just try to live by a 60's-70's philosophy of "voluntary simplicity" to the extent possible.

I hope no one else will interpret any of my comments as suggesting people should not speak out. Just do so with a full recognition of the big picture.

We do not have to "disparage cultures" to complain about the Japanese killing whales. Trust me, they can take care of themselves, and do. I think those of us against it should use our influence political, economical, etc to pressure them. It is not personal against anyone, it is a matter of policy. Sure, we Americans do things that do not square with this opinion about slaughtering whales. That should not intimidate us from speaking out. If someone Japanese wants to come to America and point these inconsistencies out, then they should. That is how society evolves. It is not a clear cut, nice and neat process, where no one ever gets their feelings hurt.
Like I said, the Japanese can take it. And if they cannot and start to feel bad, then they can stop. Just like when I order Veal, I feel pretty guilty.

catherine96821:
...I think those of us against it should use our influence political, economical, etc to pressure them.

As long as this happens on an individual basis, it's ok. But the US Government have made bans on Norwegian agricultured salmon(!) by adding taxes!() for the reason that we took up commercial whaling i '93.

-What if "we" is the big country and "them" is the small country. What does this approach become then? Who's the big bully in the classroom and what should we do about him?

catherine96821:
We do not have to "disparage cultures" to complain about the Japanese killing whales. Trust me, they can take care of themselves, and do.

Like I said, the Japanese can take it. And if they cannot and start to feel bad, then they can stop. Just like when I order Veal, I feel pretty guilty.

The Japanese can certainly take it, as should other whaling nations. The lack of wanting to change revolves around cultural perceptions regarding whale meat, perceived loss of livelihood, and outsiders telling them what to do.

In my dealings with the Japanese with Greenpeave it became apparent that they really didn't give a toss. They listen (attend only), but rarely internalize.

It's tough to affect change when someone doesn't really care, or has a perspective set in stone.

Mr.X:
It's tough to affect change when someone doesn't really care, or has a perspective set in stone.

Did I hear anyone whisper Tokyo? Climate?? Energy consumption??? So there really isn't a global warming, is there? Or doesn't the US government really give a toss? What is it?

What is to care in this case? WHY should the Japanese change their vues into yours?

KOMPRESSOR:
As long as this happens on an individual basis, it's ok. But the US Government have made bans on Norwegian agricultured salmon(!) by adding taxes!() for the reason that we took up commercial whaling i '93.

-What if "we" is the big country and "them" is the small country. What does this approach become then? Who's the big bully in the classroom and what should we do about him?

You want to sell your goods in the US. The US wants to stop Whaling. You say no your right, the US Say's no there right. No bullying we can not tell you what to do nor can you tell us what to do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom