Whaling: Right or Wrong?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Racism Kim, why do many people like to fall back on that card :06:

As far as the Indians...I didn't conquer them! The Aborigine's in Australia, I didn't ruin their culture. That was a long time ago, talk to my great, great, great grandparents! Right NOW, we are all living in a very informed age! If ANY country wants to pretend they don't understand our ecosystem, they should be ready to take some heat!!!! Whether that be the U.S. who's policy doubts the existence of global warming; or the Japanese who don't want to believe they are possibly endangering a species.
Everyone needs to start protecting what we have left. I have to say though...I didn’t see much science going on in those videos! Also, just because the Japanese have done this for centuries, doesn’t mean it should happen for the next 100 years!

Just a question Kim, and please don't take this as offensive, I'm really curious! What would it take to make you care about this issue? How many whale species would need to be lost before you though someting needed to be done?
Thanks & Happy Diving! :14:

gangrel441:
And twisted facts make for a poor argument. Japan is the only country hunting Minkes, Minkes are not endangered, and 200-400 Minkes harvested a year is not going to change that. It is a supportable take. By distorting the facts, you diminish arguments for much more pressing causes.

No they're not. We do too. I have a couple of mink whale steaks in the freezer if any of you should drop by.

And for the many who think I must be kidding. Think again...

KOMPRESSOR:
No they're not. We do too. I have a couple of mink whale steaks in the freezer if any of you should drop by.

And for the many who think I must be kidding. Think again...

Apart from yourself how do most Norwegians view the hunting of whales? Is whale meat readily available at the grocery store? Curious as I know the prevailing attitude in Japan, but not Norway or Iceland. Mr. X

rjack321:
There have been alot of arguements that X number of Minkes is sustainable (without any actual evidence I might add). But a really burning issue is that Japan trades and hunts many species other than Minkes, without a self-issued "scientific" permit, no documentation, zero oversight, zilch.

DNA analysis of whale meat in Japanese markets demonstrated this many years ago.
e.g. "Which Whales are Hunted? A Molecular Approach to Monitoring Whaling. 1994 Science 265:1538-1539."

Japan fought independent DNA monitoring of their hunts for years, many outside researchers have to sneak their equipment in or the samples out.

The legitimate use of natural resources is obviously culturally debatable,

but deceit, lying and poaching are unacceptable in any culture.

"without any actual evidence I might add"

I dare say that in this case many people will not accept "evidence" if they had it lying in the drive way as they pulled up at home, back from work. They'd just have it removed...

Mr.X:
Apart from yourself how do most Norwegians view the hunting of whales? Is whale meat readily available at the grocery store? Curious as I know the prevailing attitude in Japan, but not Norway or Iceland. Mr. X

Most Norwegians think of the whaling industry as they do of the fishing industry. It must be kept on a tight leach. Other than that, it has every possibility to survive. I would say there's a stable but small minority opposing the whale catching, and they are divided in two categories. One part is the "humanetarians" who feel sorry for animals we eat, and another is the "bend over for the Americans' wishes", so we can have prospering businesses in all other branches. After all, you have money we want, don't you?

If I say 80% of the Norwegian population support the Norwegian whaling industry, I wouldn't be far off.

Yes, whale meat is readily available in most grocery stores, frosen og fresh. I prepare it from time to time. It doesn't taste like horse meat at all. More like deer or moose, if prepared the right way. It's very easy to spoil if you don't treat it right.

KOMPRESSOR:
Most Norwegians think of the whaling industry as they do of the fishing industry. It must be kept on a tight leach. Other than that, it has every possibility to survive. I would say there's a stable but small minority opposing the whale catching, and they are divided in two categories. One part is the "humanetarians" who feel sorry for animals we eat, and another is the "bend over for the Americans' wishes", so we can have prospering businesses in all other branches. After all, you have money we want, don't you?

If I say 80% of the Norwegian population support the Norwegian whaling industry, I wouldn't be far off.

Yes, whale meat is readily available in most grocery stores, frosen og fresh. I prepare it from time to time. It doesn't taste like horse meat at all. More like deer og moose, if prepared the right way. It's very easy to spoil if you don't treat it right.

Thank you. I appreciate the feedback. Interesting how the US affects global policy regarding world finances/opinion. The US needs to really mend some international fences.

Cheers. Mr. X

TeqP:
According to Greenpeace's website, Over the next 2 years 40 more fin whales will be added to the annual kill along with 50 humpback whales..

Now there's a credible source... :rolleyes:

Chad_Ordelheide:
Racism Kim, why do many people like to fall back on that card :06:
That's exactly what it is - there nothing 'fall back on' about it.
Chad_Ordelheide:
If ANY country wants to pretend they don't understand our ecosystem, they should be ready to take some heat!!!! Whether that be the U.S. who's policy doubts the existence of global warming; or the Japanese who don't want to believe they are possibly endangering a species.
If you think that the Japanese are endangering a species because they take a tiny percentage of it's numbers then I would suggest that your understanding of our ecosystem is rather minimal.
Chad_Ordelheide:
Just a question Kim, and please don't take this as offensive, I'm really curious! What would it take to make you care about this issue? How many whale species would need to be lost before you though someting needed to be done?
Thanks & Happy Diving! :14:
There is something being done. Most whale species are totally protected and there is a heavy quota in place on others. Why would you think that I don't care about this issue? As I said earlier - do you honestly think that the Japanese want to destroy the very thing that they want. This country leads the world in most marine conservation techniques like fish farming and species conservation. They've been fishing here for centuries and are doing rather better at continuing to do so than Europe or the States seem to be able to manage. If they are so destructive in what they do how come they still have fish left here to catch? Just because I don't agree with unfounded knee jerk emotional reactions doesn't mean I don't care about it. Show me some real science to back these opinions and I might think differently. The problem is - there isn't any.

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
Lord, there's always one. There are a tiny miniscule fraction of the number of whales there once were, thanks directly to overharvest.

I find it disgusting that Japan hunts whales under the guise of research. We're talking about an environmental cause that even Americans can get behind...a rare thing indeed.

What's so very necessary about eating whale in Japanese culture? They are never willing to budge an inch on this issue. Why can't they eat cow/pig/sheep/goat/deer/llama/etc, etc, etc? Why does it HAVE to be whale? Can anyone explain to me why a culture can't change its eating habits to save some of the worlds' most majestic and endangered creatures??

Gregg

Never ever judge a culture unless you r a part of it... Overharvesting is to blame - u r right, but how do u know they r overharvesting? Because u saw a video of 6-10 whales being caught?

Don't assume unless u truly know!

Chad_Ordelheide:
Racism Kim, why do many people like to fall back on that card

Chad, I agree that racism is too often raised but in this case there may be some basis for it. As has been pointed out, there ARE other countries engaging in the take of whales. They happen to be more western in their culture and traditions. People rarely seem to drag them into the debate and put most of the onus on the Japanese. One of my long-term former GF's is Japanese-American and I've seen subtle (and not-so-subtle) forms of racism in her presence.

Personally, I would prefer that "we" (the global community) stop whaling altogether. My reason would be, based on personal interactions with several, that they certainly appear to be sentient beings. However, this is also a form of anthropomorphism. I have had animal rights people attack me (and threaten me with death a number of times) because I was in charge of removing thousands of non-native pigs and goats (which they viewed as "cuddly" and I viewed as destroying Catalina's native species and ecosystems).

However, based on the facts presented in this thread it does appear that the taking of minke whales is probably a sustainable harvest. I may prefer it didn't occur, but also don't feel I can disparage cultures and people which feel otherwise. My own culture has done "irreparable" damage globally due to many of its practices (some to fulfill needs I myself fuel), and I would be a hypocrite to be overly critical. I'll just state my opinion and leave it at that.

Kompressor- I'm interested in the meat itself. Is it fatty as I would expect?

Back
Top Bottom