WHALE SHARKS 2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ralph Capeling

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Every year I report on whale shark sightings at Gladden Spit and will do again this year.

At Splash, we are scheduling whale shark tours April 29th to May 11th, May 29th to June 10th and June 28th to July 12th. There is an earlier whale shark moon from March 31st to April 12th but we do not take pre-bookings for that one as the success rate is lower – we monitor the whale shark zone at that time and if the whale sharks show up and we have interested guests – away we go.

Hi Ralph, I'm in Caye Caulker and after watching a documentary on whale sharks last week, mentioned to my wife that I would like to go to Placencia this Spring to do a whale shark dive tour. Thanks for posting this information, I'll be checking out your website and information and work on making down there this Spring.

For those who might also be interested in a whale shark dive tour, here is the link to Splash Dive Center:

Belize Scuba Diving Packages | Whale sharks | Splash Dive Center

I expect to arrive in Placencia on June 1st so that gives me 9 days to take a shot at finding the ever elusive Whale Shark.

We do not recommend this first whale shark moon season and do not take pre-bookings for this first whale shark moon season March 31 to April 12 as the successful encounter rate has historically been very low. Yesterday we got reports that the fishermen at Gladden Spit had sighted at least one whale shark so today we took some guests out for a whale shark trip. No whale sharks seen but it was a very busy dive. Lots of reef sharks, bull sharks and of course loads of snapper. Usually there are also dolphins but they were not there today (maybe had read by discouraging comments on ScubaBoard about this first whale shark moon season.

We will be doing and taking bookings for whale shark tours April 29 to May 11 (except April 29 and 30 are already fully booked), May 29 to June 10 and June 28 to July 10.

Whale shark diving is blue water diving with no visual reference – you cannot see the reef or the bottom. For that reason, we only take advanced or experienced divers (30+ dives) to dive with whale sharks. We also require all divers to have done at least one dive tour with us before we take them to dive in the whale shark zone or to the Blue Hole (check out dive). We also require that all divers who have not dived during the past year do a refresher before coming to Belize or before the whale shark moon season (we are unable to do refreshers during the April and May whale shark moon seasons as that is peak season with instructors and dive masters fully occupied with whale shark and related diving).

Our whale shark snorkel tours are described at this link: Whale Shark Snorkel Tours | Splash Dive Center | Placencia Belize

We use two methods to look for whale sharks – looking for the snapper or looking for the birds.

1. We use fish finders to find the snapper as the whale sharks come to feed on the spawning aggregation and put the divers in the water above the snapper. The divers try to stay with but well above the snapper and try to stay in a tight group so that the bubbles are concentrated. The idea is that the whale shark will see the bubbles, think that is the spawn and come directly to the divers. As the bubbles go to surface, often the whale sharks do too, so the snorkelers get a close encounter. We have had some situations where the whale sharks came from the side rather than from the deep, so the snorkelers saw them but the divers who were looking down, did not see them. Other times, the whale sharks have come close to the divers and then gone back down without tasting the bubbles.

2. We watch for birds circling as when they flock over the sea, it is usually because they are feeding on bait fish. Whale sharks also feed on bait fish and they do that on surface. When we see the birds, we head for the spot. Usually in this situation, the divers tend to stay at snorkel depths.

We will be doing and taking bookings for whale shark tours April 29 to May 11 (except April 29 and 30 are already fully booked), May 29 to June 10 and June 28 to July 10.

Whale shark diving is blue water diving with no visual reference – you cannot see the reef or the bottom. For that reason, we only take advanced or experienced divers (30+ dives) to dive with whale sharks. We also require all divers to have done at least one dive tour with us before we take them to dive in the whale shark zone or to the Blue Hole (check out dive). We also require that all divers who have not dived during the past year do a refresher before coming to Belize or before the whale shark moon season (we are unable to do refreshers during the April and May whale shark moon seasons as that is peak season with instructors and dive masters fully occupied with whale shark and related diving).

I'll be there 6/1 through 6/22 and can't wait to give it another go. Blue water diving is a blast, but you definitely have to keep an eye on your computer. Very easy to slip down deep if you're not careful. Even when we don't see Whale Sharks, there's lots of activity in the water. I'll never forget the dolphin that swam up, checking me out like "Who the heck are you?". We swam along together for about a minute before he headed off to parts unknown.

You forgot to mention Splash offers a PADI approved Whale Shark Certification class. I love to show that card when I dive elsewhere. Always good for a smile.

I apologize for my slow start on reporting whale shark sightings - we have been fully booked so busy busy busy. We have done 3 days of whale shark tours (April 29 and 30 and May 1) without a whale shark sightings. There is plenty of action as cubera snapper are there and being visited by bull sharks, silky sharks and on the 29th by a hammerhead plus dolphins. Viz is good suggesting that spawning has not yet started.

We did have a sightings during the March whale shark moon which is a bit unusual as that whale shark moon historically has had a low success rate for whale shark encounters so we are hopeful that they will show up.

We were fully booked for whale shark tours for the first 4 days of this whale shark moon - presumably because of the conventional wisdom that the best days are right at and right after the full moon. Years ago, conventional wisdom was the best time was at the full moon and maybe a day or two earlier but it seems that the whale sharks are arriving a little later each year. I do not know what the best days are but if asked for an opinion (based not on detailed statistical analysis or profound research) I would tend to think the best days start a few days after the full moon. At least I hope that is the case, although the SEA chart shows that some whale shark moons are busy and sometimes the whale sharks just do not show up.

Keep watching this space and I will try to be a bit more prompt in reporting.

Regards
Ralph

upload_2018-5-1_19-10-15.png

Back
Top Bottom