WHALE SHARKS 2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

May 31 was day 3 after the full moon and whale shark sighted among the snapper at about 70 feet and then came up to the divers (chasing bubbles?). Also saw 2 bull sharks that some thought came to close. Saw dolphins but not feeding on the snapper. Lots of good stuff seen snorkeling during the surface interval - turtles, rays and nurse sharks.

June 1 whale shark spotted - came to surface. All the usually suspects around.
Today, whale shark spotted but it was during the surface interval. Spotted on surface by the local fisherfolk. Saw lots of sharks, jacks, snapper (fairly shallow). Dolphins swam right through the divers. Main disappointment is that Downing was on the trip and he didn't get to see a whale shark!

Best of luck for today downing!

I apologize for my lack of reporting. I contacted bronchitis and that really slowed me down. Whale sharks were sighted June 3 and 4 but waves were too big on the 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th. Today is our last trip for this whale shark moon.

Glad you're feeling better. Take care of yourself Ralph!

Today June 10 was the last day of this whale shark moon season and no whale sharks seen. Lots of snapper and jacks, dolphins surfing in the dive boat bow wave, eagle ray but no whale sharks. Next whale shark moon is June 28 to July 12. Downing will have to wait until next year.

I'll write a trip report this weekend, but no, I didn't get to see a Whale Shark, dang it. In fact, it was kind of a bumpy start to my diving this time. My first dive day, a Saturday, was spent chasing the elusive Whale Sharks and by the next morning my right ear had plugged up. I went to see the doctor on Monday. He told me my ears were full of wax, yuck, prescribed ear wax softener drops and told me to come back in two days. So I had to spend my time hanging around the village but also went on a bird spotting training class in the jungle with the Splash crew. Then the doc flushed out my ears, again yuck, and I was good to dive after that although I had to take antibiotics for a week to ward off any potential infection. By that time, the Whale Shark "season" was over.

Whale Sharks were spotted the day before I dived and two out of the four days I couldn't dive.

Otoh, I did more Lion Fish hunting this year than ever before. Really got into it. I'm happy to report that we didn't see as many Lion Fish this year as in years past but still managed to put a dent, at least temporarily, into the current population.

DANG Bummer (no whale sharks) Downing.....let's all send a "Group Hug" to our boy.

Glad to hear it was "just" ear wax & not something more serious that could have ruined diving for the whole trip.

Let me send a GREAT BIG BELIZEAN THANK YOU for knocking another dent in the reef lionfish population...we appreciate it muchly Brother.

I hope you are planning a return to Placencia next year (see your home Dr a week before the trip ) and maybe we can coordinate a couple days with Splash together, in search of the elusive WS's. I would also like to extend an invitation to visit Caye Caulker as well, and do a day of diving with Simeon, Corey, Al & Andre at Black Durgon Dives. There'll likely be some homemade Belizean Rum Punch enjoyed, as well as a few 10.5 ounce brown bottles emptied (those of you who've been to Belize know what I mean )

On a side note, I've lived here in Caye Caulker for 9 months now, and you've seen/experienced more of mainland Belize in a 3 week trip than I have...of course you accomplished that just by arriving in Placencia LOL!!!

Enjoy your summer Downing!

Ralph, Thanks for the detailed reports. I'm looking forward to bringing you all some LUCK next season

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom