Whale sharks 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No whale sharks sighted May 2 or 3. On our May 3rd trip bull sharks, reef sharks and dolphins all came to feast on the snapper. Guests said it was a great day even though no whale sharks encountered.

I wish we could replace some humans with more ocean animals. I have a pretty long list of suggested individuals.

No whale sharks sighted so far in May. Bull sharks, reef sharks and dolphins.

its because they are feeding them in the Phillipines. No one wants to leave.

I'm in the beginning stages of planning a trip to Belize next April or May. Very new diver and I know close to zero about the country. In my googling today I came across whale shark tours and the full moon timing. I was thinking about planning my trip around the full moon to see if we could time it right. Is it not worth it to add them into my equation of when we go?
If it matters at all, the full moon is April 23 and our date options are:
April 19 - April 28
April 26 - May 5
May 3 - May 12

I'll be posting shortly in this sub asking for advice and recommendations since as I said above, I know little aside from some youtube videos which were pretty, but not informative.

We are scheduling whale shark tours April 23 to May 2, May 23 to June 1 and June 21 to June 30 in 2024 but I need to caution you. In April 2023 there was one whale shark sighting and no whale shark sightings in May. In 2022, we did one whale shark tour in April and two in May (saw lots of bull sharks but no whale sharks). In 2021 we did three whale shark tours and saw a whale shark on one of them. In 2020 we did not do any whale shark tours due covid-19, although there were sightings by fishermen at Gladden Spit. For the first time ever, in 2019 there were no whale shark sightings. In 2018 we saw whale sharks on less than 1/2 the days we went out

We are scheduling whale shark tours April 23 to May 2, May 23 to June 1 and June 21 to June 30 in 2024 but I need to caution you. In April 2023 there was one whale shark sighting and no whale shark sightings in May. In 2022, we did one whale shark tour in April and two in May (saw lots of bull sharks but no whale sharks). In 2021 we did three whale shark tours and saw a whale shark on one of them. In 2020 we did not do any whale shark tours due covid-19, although there were sightings by fishermen at Gladden Spit. For the first time ever, in 2019 there were no whale shark sightings. In 2018 we saw whale sharks on less than 1/2 the days we went out
I read that in your OP, that is why I was wondering if it was even worth it to pick a week to coincide with the full moon. My husband fishes in Baja every year and has swam with them multiple times, so for him, no big deal. Noted to not expect to see them.

What company / dive shop are you with? Also, what is a good town to start looking at. Hoping to dive 2 or 3 days. then 5 or 6 to explore and relax. Don't plan on renting a car, so looking for a walkable area to restaurants, street food, bars etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom