Whale Sharks 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ralph Capeling

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
For a number of years I have posted whale shark sightings at Gladden Spit on ScubaBoard (and did not get to do many posts over the past three or four years). I will continue to post any sightings and if you do not hear from me, that means no sightings.
We still get lots of inquiries and this is my response: We are scheduling whale shark tours April 16 to April 26, May 15 to May 25 and June 13 to June 23 but I need to caution you. We did three whale shark tours in 2021 and saw a whale shark on one of them. In 2020 we did not do any whale shark tours due covid-19, although there were sightings by fishermen at Gladden Spit. For the first time ever, in 2019 there were no whale shark sightings. In 2018 we saw whale sharks on less than 1/2 the days we went out. You may want to consider booking trips other than whale sharks with the option of switching to whale shark tours if they show up. We have lots of great diving and snorkeling on the Belize Barrier Reef and Glover’s Reef Atoll has pristine conditions due to its remoteness.

Thank you for your honesty and upfrontness. Gladden Spit has been on my bucket list for many years because it seemed a whale shark hot spot. I would still love to go sometime, but would do so with more educated expectations than false hopes now. I hope they come back in droves and that you all see many this season. Please continue to keep us posted and best of luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom