Whale Shark season is in high gear!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On our way in the giant, polished AA bird. Going for a whale shark excursion in the morning. I hope the weather and the whale sharks are in harmony for a great day.
Edit: Not looking good unless something changes weather wise. Talked with Ramone this evening and they did not go out today and the port was closed. Had people chumming friday when they went out. There are still manta's still around as there is plenty of food/eggs in the water. Said to be the best year for quantities of whale sharks since 2008 + the mantas. That was the last time I was here, 2008. We may spend another day here in Isla Mujeres to catch the whale sharks and the Manta's as we've never seen them. We'd rather not spend the day here but the weather gods are not looking good to go out in the morning. Ramone is having us come 1.5 hrs later then the normal start in hopes this low will move to the west, Scattered rain all day today since we landed...
I pray the weather gods give us a good one tomorrow!

---------- Post added August 24th, 2013 at 07:59 PM ----------

updated above due to weather...

Last edited:
On friday we had swarms of mantas, it was unbelievable how many there were eva-7b.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
When are y'all headed this way, then?

Well thats the question for the day. Ramone wants us to call him at 11:30 to make a decision if conditions are okay for tomorrow. If hes says no go for tomorrow then we are on the way to Coz. If yes we may stay another night at Isla Mujeres to see sharks and mantas. What would you do if only here for a week? I looked at wind guru and it looks iffy to me but I don't live/work here.
Sallye, I'll PM ya my cell number

According to NHC and windfinder, winds will be down some for tomorrow and waves will be 4-6 instead of today's forecasted 6-8. I'm no expert, though! Sounds as though it'll be a rocking day, but Ramone will be a much better source than me, I'd think!

We're staying on Isle Mujeres another night. Our butts will take a pounding on the boat. Fred is 75 and wanted to see them worse than me. He's itching for a fix of Whale Sharks. I hope it is worth it...
Sallye, see ya about 7-8:00pm ish at the Villa. Hopefully with a boatload of fish tales.

Last edited:
Hope you do see a boatload! And oodles of mantas, too. I'll be looking forward to stories and pictures!
See y'all tomorrow evening.....

Whale sharks and mantas will be an experience you will not forget nor regret staying extra days to see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom