Whale Shark season is in high gear!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey there all you whale shark experts,
We'll be in Cozumel for our anniversary in December. It will be our first time diving in the Caribbean. I am desperate to snorkel with the whale sharks, but I read that may not be possible in December. Can anyone comment on this? Even seeing a couple would be a dream come true.

For those of you who loved the mantas, I highly recommend the night dive in Kona Hawaii. It's been my favorite dive experience thus far. We love going out with Kona Diving Company.

aug 7.jpg Its Shark Week. Today there was some happy people. Season ends mid september

Hey there all you whale shark experts,
We'll be in Cozumel for our anniversary in December. It will be our first time diving in the Caribbean. I am desperate to snorkel with the whale sharks, but I read that may not be possible in December. Can anyone comment on this? Even seeing a couple would be a dream come true.

For those of you who loved the mantas, I highly recommend the night dive in Kona Hawaii. It's been my favorite dive experience thus far. We love going out with Kona Diving Company.

It may not be whale shark season here in December but it is Eagle Ray season. We do have schooling eagle rays starting late novemeber till around march. Ive seen upwards of 34 in a single group and have photos / videos of 30+. Fun dive if you like to see big animals.cozjan-2.jpg

It may not be whale shark season here in December but it is Eagle Ray season. We do have schooling eagle rays starting late novemeber till around march. Ive seen upwards of 34 in a single group and have photos / videos of 30+. Fun dive if you like to see big animals.View attachment 163398

Is this just in Cozumel, or in another location like the whale sharks?

Are whale shark trips even permitted outside the official dates? I had thought not, which would preclude December.

2013 season ends Sept 1st. The entire whale shark paid tour of any sort is extremely regulated by the Mexican government. The season, the amount of people on a boat, the amount of people in the water, the amount of boats, the certification requirement of the in water guide, and even the price which is set at $125.00. If you see a higher price it is because the tour operator links something else to the tour to get around the $125, like transportation, or what is basically now the standard add on which is a stop at the north beach at isla mujeres for a snack and beer on the boat.

---------- Post added August 15th, 2013 at 08:12 PM ----------

Is this just in Cozumel, or in another location like the whale sharks?

Eagle rays can be seen all over the area in the winter, not just Cozumel. There are locations around the area both outside cozomel and around cozomel where your chances of seeing them are higher than other sites. Cantrell in cozomel and the C58 wreck in cancun are almost sure things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom