Whale shark question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Birdie1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Do you think that snorkelling with whale sharks is harrassing the animals? I'm hesitating on whether I should do it, but I would dearly love to see one.

I do not feel good about the whole "swim with dolphins" thing because I learned horrible things from a documentary.

So, what is the feeling out there?

There are pretty strict rules with the whale shark snorkel operators in the Holbox - Isla Mujeres area. You can't touch the whalesharks and only I think 2-3 people from a boat are allowed in the water at a time, always with a licensed guide. Also, only boats and captains who've obtained the proper authorization are allowed in the area (similar to how a marine park works).

The boats cannot corral the whalesharks or restrict their movement. They're out in open water and on their usual seasonal migration route. It's nothing like the dolphin prison swim programs. It's also never a guarantee of how many you'll see in a day. From this year's reports it sounds like the numbers are impressive, but some years people go out for the trip and see only a few. It's nature. It's unpredictable and you get what you get.

The reports this year are saying that the whalesharks are further south and east then in the past few years. The trips running from Isla Mujeres and the Cancun area are seeing amazing numbers of whalesharks, so no need to make the trek all the way to Holbox if you don't want to or don't have the time.

My experience, snorkeling with Baja Expeditions on the Don Jose, (http://www.bajaex.com/Plan-Your-Adv...k-Research-and-Natural-History-Expeditio.aspx) is that they may slow down a bit to check you out. Best location is to swim behind the dorsal fin to cut down on drag - but don't touch, and move away should you tire to avoid the tail. If they are bothered they will leave you in the dust and it will seem like they are hardly moving. The ones I was lucky enough to snorkel with "seemed" to like the company and let us swim along side until we were exhausted. You need to enter water gently ahead of them. We swam with them via repetitive dinghy drop-off well ahead, then pickup routine to stay up with them. Truly a mega life experience! You are visiting their space - not a closed in or controlled environment.

I havent seen a whale shark before but i've snorkelled with Humpbacks and its my opinion that anything that HUGE isnt going to be bothered by a few people swimming near it.. If theres 50 people in the water then yeah they might get annoyed.. think about yourself with a fly buzzing around.. one or two are ok, 50 will drive you nuts. Good thing for whales and whale sharks is like was said before they will leave you in their dust if they dont want to be around you.

for the replies.

The thing that I'm concerned about is the 10, 20, 30 + snorklers buzzing around the whale shark. Here in BC it's the killer whale watching boats that are causing controversy.

There are so many boats hanging around a pod that it must be a bummer to be an orca when you're trying to enjoy your own space. The major debate right now about doubling the distance that the boats have to stay away from the pods.

Is the reality that there are several boats in the same location all trying to have their customers be with the same whale sharks?

Thanks.

I don't think it was harassing to the shark but I did not enjoy it. It was amazing to see the creature from the boat and I'd love to chance upon one while diving somewhere but the whole Holbox experience felt cheap and contrived to me. Sort of like Via Ferrata for divers. YMMV but that was my experience.

The beaches were beautiful at night though.

Thanks Jared. I now realize what my hesitation was about, though I wasn't able to pinpoint the feeling. My gut was telling me I wouldn't want to do it. The cheap and contrived. I've never gone on a whale watching boat in my own city (Victoria) so why would I do it anywhere else?

I was hiking the West Coast trail once and we saw a pod of grey whales - visible only by the spew from their blowholes. THAT was thrilling to me! And I've seen orcas from a distance while travelling on the BC ferries. Chancing upon them - that's what I like . . .

I'm going to save the $ I would have spent on the whale shark and do some "regular" boat dives.

for the replies.

The thing that I'm concerned about is the 10, 20, 30 + snorklers buzzing around the whale shark. Here in BC it's the killer whale watching boats that are causing controversy.

There are so many boats hanging around a pod that it must be a bummer to be an orca when you're trying to enjoy your own space. The major debate right now about doubling the distance that the boats have to stay away from the pods.

Is the reality that there are several boats in the same location all trying to have their customers be with the same whale sharks?

Thanks.
Nope. Only 3 allowed in the water at a time - the guide and 2 tourists. You're required to stay out of their way, at least 2 meters/over 6 feet from them, no flash photography, etc - you're not going to irritate them. If anyone did, the Domino would vanish. Doesn't happen.

If there are more boats than Whale Sharks, waiting boats are required to stay further out. The Rules: Whale Shark Tour Rules | Ceviche Tours | Isla Mujeres, Mexico And you will see park ranger boats out there watching too.
I don't think it was harassing to the shark but I did not enjoy it. It was amazing to see the creature from the boat and I'd love to chance upon one while diving somewhere but the whole Holbox experience felt cheap and contrived to me. Sort of like Via Ferrata for divers. YMMV but that was my experience.

The beaches were beautiful at night though.
Holbox is a delightful island village, modern enough for comfort if you book a hotel with AC, but still quaint. I enjoyed the entire experience; what did you not like?
Thanks Jared. I now realize what my hesitation was about, though I wasn't able to pinpoint the feeling. My gut was telling me I wouldn't want to do it. The cheap and contrived. I've never gone on a whale watching boat in my own city (Victoria) so why would I do it anywhere else?

I was hiking the West Coast trail once and we saw a pod of grey whales - visible only by the spew from their blowholes. THAT was thrilling to me! And I've seen orcas from a distance while travelling on the BC ferries. Chancing upon them - that's what I like . . .

I'm going to save the $ I would have spent on the whale shark and do some "regular" boat dives.
Suit yourself and have a great trip, but it is a special experience. Here is a collection of clips from mine. It's a long video, but the first 2 minutes gives you an idea...

[vimeo]3783470[/vimeo]

Holbox is a delightful island village, modern enough for comfort if you book a hotel with AC, but still quaint. I enjoyed the entire experience; what did you not like?

[/CENTER]

On Holbox itself? The mosquitos were the only real downside.

The island and beach and night time sky was beautiful. I also had the best ceviche I've eaten since Huaraz Peru in 2006.

The whale shark chasing? Just my opinion, my wife and my friend's girlfriend loved it, my friend and I did not. I could try to describe why better but its personal enough that I wouldn't want someone not to do it because I didn't like it, the boat crew was nice, the ride was nice, YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom