Wetsuits in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5615mike once bubbled...

James,

Have you ever been diving in Coz with the currents?

Yep.

Been through any swim throughs with currents?

Yep.

Yes, you can scrape the reef due to these currents.

If you cannot navigate the swim through without damaging the reef you shouldn't be there. It is not only bad form, it is a violation of the rules of the marine park.

miked once bubbled...
Actually, of the few "scraped "people I talked to, almost all said that the scrapes were from things other than coral- no boat ladders, but: mooring lines; trail lines; from inside the wreck (C-53??).

Doing a wreck dive is a different beast entirely. You should take extra care to protect yourself from the sharp edges, though again, you should be proficient enough to keep off the edges before attempting such a dive.

The problem is that most of the people doing the C-53 are neither properly trained nor have the proper equipment. It may be considered an "easy" wreck but it is still a penetration dive and there are places that are tight enough to cause trouble in an emergency.

James

Jen-

I just got back from Coz and I recommend wearing some sort of exposure suit (skin-shorty-wotever) and showering immediately after each dive. Brisas has a shower right next to the rinse tanks....use it and avoid the dreaded rash:fury:

Tim

James Goddard once bubbled...

Yep.

Yep.

If you cannot navigate the swim through without damaging the reef you shouldn't be there. It is not only bad form, it is a violation of the rules of the marine park.

James

Sorry that I on occasion do break your RULES of the marine park. It certainly is not done ententionally and is not due to lack of attention. As Miked said, accidents will happen.

Maybe someday I can attain the level of perfection you obviously have attained since you never make mistakes in the current. GOOD FOR YOU JAMES.

5615mike once bubbled...

James

Sorry that I on occasion do break your RULES of the marine park.

Not my rules, the Mexican government's.

It certainly is not done ententionally and is not due to lack of attention. As Miked said, accidents will happen.

Accidently brushing a reef, while somthing to be avoided, is one thing. Donning an exposure suit for the express purpose of protecting your skin from a reef indicates that one expects it to happen. Anyone who is expecting to harm the reef shouldn't be there.

Maybe someday I can attain the level of perfection you obviously have attained since you never make mistakes in the current. GOOD FOR YOU JAMES.

Maybe somday you will learn to express yourself in a forum without having to result to such sarcastic remarks.

James Goddard once bubbled...

Not my rules, the Mexican government's.

Accidently brushing a reef, while somthing to be avoided, is one thing. Donning an exposure suit for the express purpose of protecting your skin from a reef indicates that one expects it to happen. Anyone who is expecting to harm the reef shouldn't be there.

Maybe somday you will learn to express yourself in a forum without having to result to such sarcastic remarks.

James, I'll make that priority number one. I'm sure that I am the only person on this board who has worn a skin for protection from possibly making contact with the reef. If you want to take everything I have said so literally then be my guest. I won't applolgize for my sarcasim in your case since you want to take this as far as you have. I never intentionally make contact with any reef but as I and others have said, it happens. Again, I hope someday to achieve your level of perfection.

Being from the midwest, the Coz water temps will be nice and warm to me. :)
I have a shorty wetsuit that will most likely be just fine. I dove
with it in Florida when water temps were around 80 degrees.
Did hit a thermocline once in a while, but didn't bother me so much. I just wondered if maybe most dived in their swimsuits.
Sounds like most don't.

Thanks everyone! This board has taught me so much. I hope
I can give good advice when I return from my trip.

I used a 1mm wetsuit for four days, then decided to go without.

I had seen about three jellyfish in the first eight dives, so I figured that would be a non-issue, but wouldn't you know...

I was stung on my legs, arms, and neck (not painful, just annoying).

Lesson learned.

I use a 3mm full suit or a fleece suit. I gave up on shorties after kneeling on a clear sandy bottom that was not so clear, the buried little bugger caused al sorts of problems. Yes I touched the bottom. It was a usual Coz. jump, meet in the clear sand on the bottom 60 ft, wait for the novices divers, over the edge and drift along the wall.

Back
Top Bottom