Wetsuits in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajen once bubbled...
Just curious.... Do you most of you wear wetsuits or just your
swimsuits during the summer months in Coz?

I wear a 2/3 shorty. Even when temperatures get up into the 80's you can get chilled after a week of diving without.

James

Hi Scubajen,

On my last trip to Coz, I wore a 1 mm neoprene skin.
I'd suggest at least that, or a lycra skin, if nothing more than to help protect against stings, scrapes, sun. I have seen people do just fine in 3 mm suits, and in "just" bathing suits as well, from the standpoint of thermal protection, although those folks had a few more visable scrapes, stings, etc. It is a very individual decision.
One thing to consider is how cold do you normally get in your diving-if you dive in non-tropical water. [ "Not cold" in 60 degrees wearing 5 mm, versus "cold" in 75 degrees wearing 3 mm- could help you decide how you'll feel in low 80 degree water.]

Also, it depends on the amount of diving you plan to do. Even water in the 80+ degree range can chill you, if you are doing 3-4 dives per day for several consecutive days.
As an example, last summer, in grand cayman, I did 4 dives a day for 5 days (84degree water). By the third afternoon, I needed to add a 3 mm vest over the 1mm skin. That addition made things very nice for the rest of the week.

There have been a number of threads addressing this and similar topics. you might try a "search" to see earlier replies and opinions.

Good luck,
Mike

My wife and I always wear 1m/2m skins. Never have had a problem with them. Wear them more for protection rather than warmth. Some of the swim throughs can have some current and can move you around a bit.

miked once bubbled...
Hi Scubajen,

On my last trip to Coz, I wore a 1 mm neoprene skin.
I'd suggest at least that, or a lycra skin, if nothing more than to help protect against stings, scrapes, sun. I have seen people do just fine in 3 mm suits, and in "just" bathing suits as well, from the standpoint of thermal protection, although those folks had a few more visable scrapes, stings, etc. It is a very individual decision.

Scrapes from what? I hope its from the boat ladder. A wetsuit is for thermal protection, not to keep people from being banged up when they can't keep off the reef.

By the third afternoon, I needed to add a 3 mm vest over the 1mm skin. That addition made things very nice for the rest of the week.

It's better to start with the added thermal protection and keep your core temperature up.

James

I wear my 3mm shorty religiously. It's a little hot topside, but I like the protection from the sun, boat, etc.

Thermal comfort is somewhat idiosyncratic.

To put it in perspective, below is a piece, in part, from my June '00 "Ask RSD" column in "Rodale's Scuba Diving":

"Have you ever been out on the street in the spring or fall and noticed people wearing everything from shorts & T-shirts to full coats with hats & scarves, all apparently in comfort? Well, things are no different underwater. This comfort is highly variable among individuals depending on such factors as percentage of body fat, age & tolerance to thermal discomfort. Other determinants, like how many dives a day over how many days you are planning, are also important. When you ask "What wetsuit should I wear?, you'll get answers ranging all the way from "just a bathing suit" through "5 mm full."

The question is better asked: "What water temps can I anticipate at my destination?" You'll receive a pretty accurate answer to this, and then can decide what's best for you based on your personal thermal comfort needs.

It's always a good idea to come thermally prepared, just in case."

That having been said, expect Coz summer water temps ~83 degrees plus/minus a degree. Personally, if was doing multiple dives over multiple days at that temp, I'd take a 3mm full. If you get a bit too warm during a dive, you can always let some water into the suit. Much harder to warm up.

You're going to have such a good time.

DocVikingo

James Goddard once bubbled...

Scrapes from what? I hope its from the boat ladder. A wetsuit is for thermal protection, not to keep people from being banged up when they can't keep off the reef.

It's better to start with the added thermal protection and keep your core temperature up.

James

James,

Have you ever been diving in Coz with the currents? Been through any swim throughs with currents? Yes, you can scrape the reef due to these currents.

James Goddard once bubbled...

Hi James,

Actually, of the few "scraped "people I talked to, almost all said that the scrapes were from things other than coral- no boat ladders, but: mooring lines; trail lines; from inside the wreck (C-53??). Only one admitted to a brush with the reef. (perhaps the only honest one , but ???)
OTOH, given the swim thrus and current, accidents can happen.
and while "an ounce of prevention ....is worth a pound of cure" .... it "is not a substitute for skills". :)

"It's better to start with the added thermal protection and keep your core temperature up."

I tend to agree, but I can't always predict when I'll need the "extra" layer.-I haven't always. Same temps, same dive schedule, different results.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom