Wetsuit Thickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaZoozle

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am interested in getting a wetsuit for scuba diving but not sure on the thickness. The warmest Ive dove in was 65degrees and coldest like 56 degrees. Can anyone help, Im kinda new:confused:

I'm happy with my 7mm wetsuit in the 49F-56F range. Hood, gloves and booties are all 5mm.

Edit: I should probably mention that I don't really know any better, and although most of my buddies also dive 7mm suits, some have 10mm, one has a 12mm Farmer John and a couple dive dry. My 3mm surf suit is wildly unsuitable.

Last edited:
Welcome!

Your wetsuit thickness will depend on how cold or not you become in the water. If you're always cold, you may need a thicker suit, or layers. When students (here in San Jose) are renting their wetsuits, they get either a 7/8 one-piece or a 7/8 farmer john. The farmer john actually gives you, like, 14 across your core and upper-thigh area. If you choose the one-piece route, you can choose a hooded vest. Again, it will give you something around 12-14 mm across your core. Some people find that wearing a "skin" underneath their suits help with heat loss AND getting the suit on/off. But I suppose one of the biggest things to keep in mind is fit. If the suit is ill-fitting, it'll allow water to enter easily, causing you to get cold faster. The shop where you buy stuff should be able to help you find one that fits well. You can also try a custom-fitted suit. I hear they are a bit more expensive, but are worth it (i hear).

As far as temperature goes down in Monterey it varies from 48ish-53ish.

I would get a 5mm to 7mm suit depending on how well you can handle the cold but what thickness do you normally use & where do you dive?

SangP

In that range most divers will want a 7mm suit with 2X on the core. This means either a a John & Jacket or a full suit and vest. On the warmest dives you might enjoy swapping the vest for a bibbed hood. As your diving expands so will the temperature range so you are heading for a wardrobe not a single universal suit. I would begin with a 7mm full suit and add hood/ vest items from there.

Complement that with sturdy 7mm boots and 5mm gauntlet gloves.

More info here

Pete

You are talking about temp ranges between 13-18 degrees Celsius. I personally would get a 5mm with additional vest & hood also 5mm. This combo can be used in warm and cold water giving you a greater working range. If you are someone who gets cold quickly in the water, rather get 7mm with vest & hood.

I don't know how much you dive, or if you will doing any tech stuff later. You could also look at a dry suit, but this a serious consideration. It is more for tech applications and is more expensive, but has a greater working range. You will have to get the best possible "fit" for your requirements. Best would be to rent 5mm with hood an vest, then 7mm and base your decision on your findings, keeping future requirements in consideration. Good luck.

Personally i'd go with a drysuit, but I feel the cold very easily. Other problem there is that if you then decide to travel more to dive you will need to get a wetsuit for warmer temps. There's people here diving in a 7mm wetsuit in 10*C temps and they reckon it's fine.
Go with ajduplessis's advice and rent some suits first before you buy to figure out what best suits you

Those are dry suit temps for me, without a doubt.

I have made about 15 dives most in Monterrey CA. I just got my Advanced and decided that it was time to stop renting. So, I went with the Pinnacle KodiaK. My rental kit was usually a 7mm with a hooded vest. This was always doable, but on the cool side. I have not received my suit yet, but one key is that the merino lining, when filled with water, will not compress at depth giving an "extra" 2mm off warmth. The suit is pricey, but with a 15% discount from my LDS, I got it out the door for $460. I cannot wait to get in the water with this suit.

Fit is also an important variable. A really good fitting 5mm is much warmer than a poor fitting 7mm. It would be a good idea to rent suits for a while until you get a feel for your personal tolerance to cold, preference for one or two piece, and ability to find an off-the-rack suit that with an acceptable fit. Skin-in/Nylon outside suits are also significantly warmer and more flexible, but less available off-the-rack. You may also want leg and arm zippers for easier entry. You may love or hate an attached hood.

A little bit of water pumping through the suit as you move limbs pretty much negates a lot of insulation value. My personal bias favors no zippers to fail or leak in a two-piece farmer like most freediving suits. They are harder to get on and off but are warmer and more reliable. Actual freediving suits are not a good choice for Scuba because the material will does not take prolonged compression as well as other materials.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom