Wetsuit pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GreenDiverDown

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
What are you guys using for wetsuit pockets these days? Can't find those x-shorts any longer.

I use X-pockets from 5thd-x.com. From my experience, the secret is to sew them on, not glue them. Glue peels and is messy. Who wants that?

I put the suit on, placed the pocket where I wanted it, and traced the outline with a piece of tailor's chalk. Then, I went to my local cobbler and had him strech the suit so the lines matched up and sewed it on with some decent thread. This has worked wonderfully.

PfcAJ:
I use X-pockets from 5thd-x.com. From my experience, the secret is to sew them on, not glue them. Glue peels and is messy. Who wants that?

I put the suit on, placed the pocket where I wanted it, and traced the outline with a piece of tailor's chalk. Then, I went to my local cobbler and had him strech the suit so the lines matched up and sewed it on with some decent thread. This has worlked wonderfully.

Sorry, you lost me at the part with the shoemaker. He stretches the suit so what lines line up? Also, what kind of thread did you use? And what kind of stitching? I've just bought a pocket for my 3mm suit and would like to stitch it in addition to glueing it.

Rainer:
Sorry, you lost me at the part with the shoemaker. He stretches the suit so what lines line up? Also, what kind of thread did you use? And what kind of stitching? I've just bought a pocket for my 3mm suit and would like to stitch it in addition to glueing it.

Put the suit on... it stretches... position the pocket and trace the outline. Remove the suit... it relaxes and the trace lines shrink. Re-stretch until the trace once again marks the outline of the pocket. I think...

What pocket did you get?

Stephen Ash:
Put the suit on... it stretches... position the pocket and trace the outline. Remove the suit... it relaxes and the trace lines shrink. Re-stretch until the trace once again marks the outline of the pocket. I think...

What pocket did you get?

Thanks, that makes sense. I just got the pocket Phil Ellis has on sale ($21). I've also got a pair of X-shorts that I was using with my 7mm before I went dry. My feeling was they'd be too big with the 3mm, but I didn't bother trying them on. I'll go do that before sewing/glueing.

thread to use:
138 bonded nylon

stitch type:
overcast zig zag

good luck,

albane:
thread to use:
138 bonded nylon

stitch type:
overcast zig zag

good luck,

Zig zag is a machine stitch, correct? If so, can the pocket me added using handstiching? If so, advice?

Rainer:
Zig zag is a machine stitch, correct? If so, can the pocket me added using handstiching? If so, advice?

You can zig zag by hand, in fact most of my hand sewing has a distinct zig and zag look to it:wink:

Zig Zag overcast means the stitches span the edge of the material. Think about one layer of material (like a pocket backing) laying on top of another. The first needle hole might be ~1/4 in from the edge of the top layer, and the second might be just off the edge of the top layer. By alternating this way the edge of the top layer is held down by the stitching.

Good luck,

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom