5 mm wet suit recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what's the coldest you could dive in the apek ?
Coldest I dove was 52F. This is in Monterey CA in winter. Was still warm after ~50 min dive, only got cold when out of the water with the wind. The seals around the ankles and wrists with the semi dry really help. I used to wear a lycra suit for donning, but stopped using it since I felt that the seas don't work as well and water seeps through the lycra material.

Coldest I dove was 52F. This is in Monterey CA in winter. Was still warm after ~50 min dive, only got cold when out of the water with the wind. The seals around the ankles and wrists with the semi dry really help. I used to wear a lycra suit for donning, but stopped using it since I felt that the seas don't work as well and water seeps through the lycra material.
ok ok so i am at 59F and feel confident i don't know if my 7 mm could reach 52F. I like your idea of not wearing a lycra, i ve been told the same not to use them. Best way to warm your body is with your own heating process.

Be safe

Waterproof would fit with all your needs (pockets and front zippers or front neck zippers). Hollis Neotek semi-dry 4/3mm and 8/7/6mm also provide the pockets and integrated hoods with the front zip Across the shoulders.

But I recommend trying them on cuz I really wanted to buy Waterproof W7 at first, but after trying it on, I found that it is not made for my tall skinny build. One other suit I would recommend is Fourth Element Proteus II. Very nice and warm suit. I tried it and I love it. Currently diving Xenos 5mm. Same brand but a lower tier since it got it second-hand at a very good deal. But If purchase new I'd pay extra for Proteus II.

I love the idea of tech shorts also. Less failure points for the suit to avoid repair. You can get it from OEM manufacturers for only 20-80$.
I have not seen many forth element suits around here, how is it holding up to tear and wear?

you should check for a bares ultrawarmth i have a 7 mm i feel like a bake potato in 60 F water. 5 mmm should do the job expecting your environnement is warmer.
I had the same thing as you, great wetsuit very warm.

I wholehearterdly recommend the Apeks ThermiQ. I have the 8/7mm and it has been outstanding with warmth, movement, zipping/unzipping alone, thigh pocket location and velcro resistance!
How the suite holding up to wear and tear? I'v only seen it on the web so far..

Waterproof W7
Have you tried a waterproof wet suite? Looking for some feedback. The w7 and w8 have a lot of nice features but they are on the expensive side so I'm wondering if it's worth the extra money.

Have you tried a waterproof wet suite? Looking for some feedback. The w7 and w8 have a lot of nice features but they are on the expensive side so I'm wondering if it's worth the extra money.
never try them but they are hight quality. DM had one this summer and i dive with him a lot he really like it. I was going to buy one but didn't find any dealer in my hometown. I did purchase the 3 finger mitt from waterproof and really like them. i could tell you it's hight quality stuff.

never try them but they are hight quality. DM had one this summer and i dive with him a lot he really like it. I was going to buy one but didn't find any dealer in my hometown. I did purchase the 3 finger mitt from waterproof and really like them. i could tell you it's hight quality stuff.
Thanks for the info! :)

ok ok so i am at 59F and feel confident i don't know if my 7 mm could reach 52F. I like your idea of not wearing a lycra, i ve been told the same not to use them. Best way to warm your body is with your own heating process.

Be safe
Is your 7mm a semi dry? I was also considering wearing a 1-2mm shirt or vest under the wetsuit for extra core body temp preservation

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom