Wetsuit pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They're also ~$100 last time I checked. :rolleyes:

alwaingold:
I made my own wetsuit pockets, using kidspot's excellent instructions:
http://www.kidspot.org/personal/scuba/#wetsuit

They took a few hours to make. It would have been a lot faster if my sewing skills were not so rusty :)

Just curious how much you had to spend in materials? In the end, did you think it was worth the time. They look like good pockets.

I bought pockets similar to the ones Phil is selling, for a hair less (on sale from 5thdx for $20 each, although I think I like Phil's a hair better).

At the time, I read over Kidspot's directions, but between purchasing the materials, hauling out and setting up the ol' sewing machine, etc., I decided my time was worth more than the modest savings over purchasing the pockets ready-made.

CompuDude:
I bought pockets similar to the ones Phil is selling, for a hair less (on sale from 5thdx for $20 each, although I think I like Phil's a hair better).

At the time, I read over Kidspot's directions, but between purchasing the materials, hauling out and setting up the ol' sewing machine, etc., I decided my time was worth more than the modest savings over purchasing the pockets ready-made.

Was thinking the same thing. Just doesn't seem worth it to me (at least compared to Phil's pocket at $21 including shipping). But would like to hear from those who have made them.

I have 3 wetsuits...a 3mm, 5mm and a 7mm. All of them have DUI velcro pockets on the thigh. It was easy to install with the help of a friend since you're doing quite a bit in short spurts of time. An extra set of hands helps. We used black neoprene cement, masking tape and an ironing board to stretch the thigh of the suit. Works like a dream. Once applied, weight the drying pocket overnight (still on the board) and you're good to go!

The masking tape during cement application makes for very clean lines and little mess.

Rainer:
Just curious how much you had to spend in materials? In the end, did you think it was worth the time. They look like good pockets.

I'll answer for the wife (alwaingold). We spent about $30 for way more fabric than we needed (partly because we wanted to experiment with two different colors). We probably had enough fabric to make 10 times as many pockets as we did. A couple bucks on thread, and maybe $5-10 on velcro. The bungee for the loops we had laying around. This made 4 pockets (two pockets for each of us). I think it was definitely worth it. Actually, the most painful/longest part of it was sewing the pocket onto the wetsuit, which you'd have to do anyway with purchased pockets. The construction of the pocket itself is rather quick and easy with a sewing machine.

What's worked best for me is sewing the pocket to a piece of 2mm neoprene and then sewing or gluing that to the thigh of the suit.

I've seen several of the 5thd-X pockets litterally fall apart. Don't count on your pocket contents being there when you it!

Chris

Edit: the pockets I'm refering to were X-shorts, I'm not sure they are the same pockets, that are sold individually.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom