Wetsuit layering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why no seals?

It's a matter of cost and degree.

Since we are talking about wetsuits a level of economy and simplicty is implied. Some such as Bare fo have flip seals in the forearm and calf areas that slow the movement considerably. In colder water gloves, booties and perhaps socks are implied and these form a labyrinth seal at the openings when fit correctly.

Ratchet the $ up to an Mares Isotherm is similar suit and you have a hybrid that is warmer but cost more to buy and exposes you to some hefty repair bills. It you are in a rough and tumble situation they demand care and attention, sand for instance would raise heck with a dry zipper.

Lastly if you want true sealing then get a drysuit.

Pete

Have to disagree about the amount of "degree".

Installing a neoprene neck seal, ankle and wrist seals is a simple thing to do and I would think would drastically increase the insulating properites of any wetsuit.

Personally, I would not wear my example of the Mares Isotherm, just because at that point I think it easier to dive in a true dry suit.

For warm water, typically 3mm, for cold water typically 7mm.
The tropical lycra may not help at all, 2mm vest may or may not help depends on the individual. Adding a 3mm to 4mm long sleeve jacket on the top with hood shorty does help.

you know i dove once with a 3mm then i put a 5mm over it , i found that the circulation in my hands were cut off , and it was hard to move around in all that neoprene. so on diving in cold water i have heard of a warm/hot water suit, is there a recreational version or is ti just commercial?

Layering is generally aplied to the core and the layers need to be sized to work comfortably together. A well fit 7mm suit with a core layer is hardly noticable when it is what you are accustomed to.

The warm water suits are a commercial tool.

Pete

lil lucky 6363:
you know i dove once with a 3mm then i put a 5mm over it , i found that the circulation in my hands were cut off , and it was hard to move around in all that neoprene. so on diving in cold water i have heard of a warm/hot water suit, is there a recreational version or is ti just commercial?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom