Wetsuit for liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aedavidson

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Thanks in advance for your help ,

I am doing a Nekton liveaboard trip in early January - central Belize . I have always worn a 3mm fullsuit and never gotten cold - Carribean . This is my first liveaboard and I am concerned about getting cold with repetetive diving . I an considering a 5mm fullsuit , or a 5mm warmer . I would love any input . Also anyone that has been on a Nekton cruise your input would be appreciated .

Andy

It's tough to get warm once you start getting cold.

I haven't been on Nekton, but on most liveaboards you're looking at 4-5 dives per day, so your thermal capacity will be tested.

That time of year, the water will be 74-78F, to be safe, bring a hood, and pick up a 3mm core-warmer to wear under your 3mm full.

my 2 psi

wet) suit
aedavidson:
Thanks in advance for your help ,

I am doing a Nekton liveaboard trip in early January - central Belize . I have always worn a 3mm fullsuit and never gotten cold - Carribean . This is my first liveaboard and I am concerned about getting cold with repetetive diving . I an considering a 5mm fullsuit , or a 5mm warmer . I would love any input . Also anyone that has been on a Nekton cruise your input would be appreciated .

Andy

Everyone laughs at me on the liveaboards but I bring two suits!!! 3mm to start the day and if I get cold switch to the 5mm. Both dry to don and warmer. I just like the option of putting on a dry (wet suit) when I wanna.

I just finished a liveaboard in the Carribean about a month ago aand had the same concerns. I took a 3 mm shorty and a hood. I started out the week with just the shorty and added the 7mm hood at the end of the week. Did roughly 4 dives a day, sometimes 5. Water temp was 80-82 degrees.

We're on the Pilot in mid-December to Belize, and I'm taking my 5mm full suit. In Maui this year I got cold in my 3 mil full suit on days 7 and 8, diving 2 tanks every morning, so knowing that the water temperature in Belize was going to be about the same (79 degrees), I knew I'd likely be cold mid-week doing 4 dives a day.

On the other hand, my husband never got cold in Maui and plans to stick to his 3 mil full suit in Belize. So the answer is....it depends on your cold tolerance.

I'm planning to post a trip report on the Central America forums when we return, so I'll make sure to include a blurb about water temp. and explosure protection for you. Maybe that'll help you decide before you go.

I would go with a 5mm that is easy to get in and out of as you will be making 5 dives a day....the Henderson Hyperstretch is what I use and a .5 microprene H/V it helps slow down the water flush and a hood is always good.
Yarg

Just got back from a liveaboard. I never get cold in the tropics, in a 1 mil shorty but was starting to go that direction on the fourth dive each day. Was glad the water was 26+

Whatever you are used to - in the temperature you will be diving. Go with a little more protection. You will need it on a liveaboard.

Would really like to hear how the trip went. I am considering the same trip a little later in the year. March or so. Please post a trip report.

I appreciate all of your opinions ,

I generally wear a 3mm Henderson titanium hyperstreach , I guess now I have a good excuse to buy a 5 . I will take both . I was thinking the 5mm warmer , but I do not think that I would ever use it alone .

I am new to this forum but will post a trip report , there are about 12 in our party so there should be plenty of input .

I look foreward to your report Diveme , as my trip is so close to yours .

aedavidson:
I appreciate all of your opinions ,

I generally wear a 3mm Henderson titanium hyperstreach , I guess now I have a good excuse to buy a 5 . I will take both . I was thinking the 5mm warmer , but I do not think that I would ever use it alone .

I am new to this forum but will post a trip report , there are about 12 in our party so there should be plenty of input .

I look foreward to your report Diveme , as my trip is so close to yours .

I look forward to reading yours when you return too!! :)

Since my husband and I both wear Henderson Hyperstretch suits, you'll at least know you're comparing the same wetsuits as yours. I'll make sure to note not only whether or not the 5mm was a good choice for me, but also how my husband does with his 3mm so you can compare that too.

I thought about taking both my 3 mil and 5 mil, but finally decided that I'm better to start and stay warm than risk a chill with the 3 mil. I'll even be taking only my 5 mil to Maui in the future as well...there's just nothing worse than getting cold.

I was in Belize last January....on the Aggressor, I was comfortable in my 3 (scubapro) with a skin underneath. We were doing 4-5 dives a day. Have fun and if you see the BAIII, have the Nekton beep at them for me! lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom