Wetsuit for a Big Man

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UBigBobby

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

I'm new to diving and really enjoyed my time doing the discover scuba program in Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia recently. As a result, I'm heading to the Philippines to get my OW cert in December and to do some boat dives afterwards. I'll also be going around SE Asia on dives in February and March

My issue is that I am a big guy. A fat American if you will. I'm 6'1" with a chest of about 52in and waist of 42in. In KK I squeezed into a regular XL shorty...and it was NOT a good fit. Knowing that most dive shops I venture to in SE Asia will only have standard sizes, I think it'd be best that I buy my own suit.

I don't really know where to start however. I'm looking to spend about $100 or so. I'm leaning toward a 3mm or 3/2 for the most versatility. I'm also thinking a fullsuit to protect against stings and scrapes.

An added issue is that I live in Seoul, Korea...where diveshops are non-existent, so I can't try one on. I have to go by the size charts and hope for the best.

Most suits seem to top out at a 3XL which has no more than a 50 in chest, but I'm sure stretching it a bit won't be a big deal.

What do you suggest as far as a brand or model that might work for me. I know that's a difficult question, but I'm at a loss. I like the O'Neil Reactor suit, and the Body Glove 3/2 that I've seen online, as well as the Bare Attack. I know different brands tend to fit different body types the best...so what is good for a top heavy guy with a few too many beers around his gut?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I had a big Akona wetsuit (I am not sure if it was 2X or 3X) but I was amazed at the abuse it too after long winters. 300+ dives later I retired it only because I bought a drysuit. It was an excellent suit for me, kept me warn until I turned into a wimp, and was very well made. I have a 56" chest and 44" waist to put it in perspective. This was a 7mm 2 piece so not likely what you are looking for, but Akona might have something that will fit you. Worth looking into anyways.

Thanks. Is there a good online supplier you'd recommend? I've seen Onlinescuba.com and Joediveramerica.com.

Just found this bad boy at closeout pricing and they have a 3XL. Chest measurement is a bit small, but being the stretchy thermoprene am I wrong to think that will be fine?

The forum won't let me link but it's the 2007 version of a Henderson 3/2 full suit made from thermoprene. Originally about $200, on clearence for $89.95 from Scubatoys

No way of knowing for sure but a poorly fitted suit does not make a dive more enjoyable. If it was me I would spend the extra and get one that you know will fit.

I agree wholeheartedly, however I can't seem to find one of the bigger sizes that I know 100% will fit, online. Being in Seoul, buying from a local store and trying on isn't an option.

I suppose the question I have to ask is, how much give does a normal neoprene suit have in the stoomach and chest?

I would start by sending the manufacturers emails with your dimensions and ask them what they have that will fit (get the full description and model/number etc.) At that point you can contact the various online stores but also some of your local shops. A suit is not something that you want to have improperly fit.

I would also ask what would stop you from going to any of your local shops so that you can actually try it and buy it with confidence? Is there really not a single shop in S. Korea? The closest shop to me is 1 hour away so I am not swimming in shops but that is worth the drive for me. If there is absolutely nothing, then go to the MFRs and get their input and follow them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom