Wetsuit features

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taliesin58

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am ordering a custom wetsuit from Hotwave, and I was wondering what features people think are good to have and which ones really aren't work the extra money.
Knee pads
Elbow pads
Arms zippers
Leg zippers
Pee zipper

Also, which do you prefer, front or back zipper?

The leg zippers are nice if it's a thick suit. My 3mm doesn't have them and it's no problem. My 7mm does and I'm awfully glad to have them. Pee zippers on a wetsuit don't seem terribly necessary to me - two types of divers, those that pee in their wetsuits and those that lie about it...

Elbow pads don't seem all that useful to me but knee pads might have some use depending on what you'll be doing. Just my 2 cents.

Jason

taliesin58:
I am ordering a custom wetsuit from Hotwave, and I was wondering what features people think are good to have and which ones really aren't work the extra money.
Knee pads
Elbow pads
Arms zippers
Leg zippers
Pee zipper

Also, which do you prefer, front or back zipper?

I would like a pee zipper. I wouldn't pay extra for the other features because I don't spend much time on my knees or elbows, and while the arm and leg zippers make it easier to put the suit on they also reduce its warmth slightly so it's a wash.

I'd also pay extra for two large DIR-compliant thigh pockets if those were available (maybe you could order them from elsewhere and send in for attachment).

I prefer a back zipper. I tried a suit with a straight vertical front zipper and couldn't get it off by myself.

KzooJason:
Pee zippers on a wetsuit don't seem terribly necessary to me - two types of divers, those that pee in their wetsuits and those that lie about it...

Yeah, and if you pee in your wetsuit it will stink like a bar urinal. I'd much prefer a pee zipper than having to rinse out the piss from my suit and boots if I needed to go during the dive.

Just got my 5mm with zippers, will tell you how they work as soon as I dive it.

taliesin58:
How about a 5mm suit? Are the wrist and ankle zippers a plus?

It's about personal preference. Ease of putting the suit and taking it off vs. the extra cost and possible minor reduction in warmth.

My girlfriend has a 7mm O'Neill with no zippers at arms and legs. It's a real PITA for her to put it on (she needs to use the plastic bag trick) and to take it off, but it keeps her warm and happy. She could have zippers installed on it, but feels it would not be worth it.

knee pads will definitely prolong the life of your suit. Front Zip suits are much harder to put on and take off. Ankle and wrist zippers make it easier to put on but then again, that depends on the thickness of suit. If it is low to med thickness, dont bother with the extra zippers -- just something else to break and allow a faster transfer of water decreasing the suit's potential to keep you warm.
I dont see a need for elbow pads but that depends on the type of diving you do. If you crawl around or lay on your elbows to get a good photo, then they would be worth it.
Pee Zipper I see no use for. And for the record, I DO NOT pee in my wetsuit and think unless you are down a very very long time, you shouldnt have to. BUT, if I had to wear a heavy suit where putting on and taking off was a super duper chore, maybe I would have a different opinion. I just usually wear a pretty thin suit so putting on and taking off is not a problem.
Hey, IF, and that is a big IF, I were to get a custom suit, I would absolutely get a custom color or pattern.

Pockets. Definitely add pockets. Best change I ever made to my wetsuit.

Of course, when diving a bp/w pockets are more in short supply than on some traditional BCs, so that may not be as important to you...

Oh, and I prefer back zipper. Knee pads are important, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom