• Farmer John plus Hooded Vest

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Jumpsuit plus Hood

Votes: 25 32.5%
  • Jumpsuit plus Hooded Vest

Votes: 34 44.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used both of those suits, the 7mm Pinnacle merino with a 7mm hood/3mmvest like you have. I vastly prefer the jumpsuit to the Escape, even though the Escape was fine. It did require a lot more weight than the jump suit.

You should be comfortable in either one though.

I dove yesterday in 52 degrees with the jumpsuit option and wasn't cold. The merino lining is pretty warm.

Thanks for the feedback,

Do you also have the Merino appex boots 6mm? Do you use the Merino karbonflex 4mm gloves? And is your hooded vest Merino linned 7mm in hood with 3mm in torso?

The Merino linning sure does feel comfortable and it's very warm when dry and feels very snug in the water, seems to trap the water in my feet and hands. I haven't taken the full suit in a pool or much less the ocean.

I do my ocean dives in two weeks...

Since I have you on topic can I get your opinion on the BC that you are using?

Thanks,

MG

OK, yes on all those questions. I do use the Apex 6mm booties, though mostly for boat diving and travel. They're fine. For shore diving here in N Cal I use the more rugged-soled SX scuba 7mm booties which are better for rocky entries/exits.

Merino karbonflex 4mm gloves are comfortable and durable. My hands have been cold in 46 degrees with 3 mm gloves but the Pinnacle gloves have kept me comfortable.

My hooded vest is the 7mm hood/3mm vest as you describe. It has a very nice soft rubber seal around the neck that works perfectly with the neck seal on the jumpsuit. I have very little water transfer through the neck which makes me happy.

BC has so much to do with individual fit and aesthetics/practical issues. You really have to find what works for you. I like having pockets for things like lights, slates, small cameras, etc. I don't care a lot about streamlining. I'm strictly a recreational diver.

For me the most practical alternative was front-adjustable because I do use different exposure suit combos depending on where I'm diving. Best for me ended up being Seaquest Pro QD.

OK, yes on all those questions. I do use the Apex 6mm booties, though mostly for boat diving and travel. They're fine. For shore diving here in N Cal I use the more rugged-soled SX scuba 7mm booties which are better for rocky entries/exits.

Merino karbonflex 4mm gloves are comfortable and durable. My hands have been cold in 46 degrees with 3 mm gloves but the Pinnacle gloves have kept me comfortable.

My hooded vest is the 7mm hood/3mm vest as you describe. It has a very nice soft rubber seal around the neck that works perfectly with the neck seal on the jumpsuit. I have very little water transfer through the neck which makes me happy.

BC has so much to do with individual fit and aesthetics/practical issues. You really have to find what works for you. I like having pockets for things like lights, slates, small cameras, etc. I don't care a lot about streamlining. I'm strictly a recreational diver.

For me the most practical alternative was front-adjustable because I do use different exposure suit combos depending on where I'm diving. Best for me ended up being Seaquest Pro QD.

First and foremost,

Thanks for your reply and informative data. I was going to go with more rugged boots than the Appex line and almost got the Orcas by Pinnacle but since I'm just going with the appex line for their comfort. I can always purchase another set if my terrain calls for it.

I'm glad you chimmed in about the ME7 not that many users out there since it's relatively a new line from Pinnacles.

I really want to get the Seaquest Pro QD I3 that just hit the market, it has gotten really good reviews and I want to explore it further and possibly get one.

I do like the pockets and am not too concerned about the streamline approach I will see as I try out both style of Bc; I intend to try the Balance which is back inflation but the I3 really calls out in looks and benefits for me.

Thanks again,

MG

Hmmm, I might look into Robert's suggestion of Otter bay's 12mm hood, I heard they'll custom make a suits too. Might ask for a quote on how much is a 12mm hood sewed to a 0.5mm or 3mm vest.

Back
Top Bottom