• Farmer John plus Hooded Vest

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Jumpsuit plus Hood

Votes: 25 32.5%
  • Jumpsuit plus Hooded Vest

Votes: 34 44.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alphonsis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just getting an idea for what style of wetsuit to get. I'm personally pondering a 7mm full with no hood and a 7mm vest with hood. This is mainly because the people over at the exposure suit forum suggested that 7mm fulls plus vest are warmer than 7mm farmer johns. I've only dove farmer johns in the north eastern us.

alphonsis:
Just getting an idea for what style of wetsuit to get. I'm personally pondering a 7mm full with no hood and a 7mm vest with hood. This is mainly because the people over at the exposure suit forum suggested that 7mm fulls plus vest are warmer than 7mm farmer johns. I've only dove farmer johns in the north eastern us.

I dive with a 7mm fullsuit (from akona - pretty inexpensive, backzip, knee pads, etc.) with a 5/3 henderson hyperstretch hooded vest. I am always comfortable. I have also dove with just a 5mm hood on. That wasn't as warm, but it was okay.

If it were me, I would forego the attached hood and get an otter-bay hood. 12mm of warm neoprene goodness.

I dive with a 7mm full suit, 7mm hooded vest with 3mm in the vest. 4mm gloves and 7mm booties. This keeps me comfortable in water as cold as 46 degrees.

I have a 7mm farmer john with bibbed hood that I do think is a little warmer, but not worth it to me to carry so much extra weight.

I've been happy with my Henderson full 7mm Hyperstretch and 7mm Hyperstrech hooded vest. Finished the outfit off with 6.5mm boots and 3mm glove. Had to forego the 5mm gloves because it was too thick.

You're not going to like my solution to cold water! :zen:

The only thing worst than putting on 7mm is putting on 14mm. If you insist on diving wet, I'd get a semi-dry. My thoughts on semi-dry is that it should be named semi-wet. :eyebrow:

I use is an Akona 7mm, a pinnacle vest with a drysuit hood I glued on, 7mm boots, 5mm gauntlet glues, and a 0.5 oceanic wetsuit underneath. Yes I can survive that!

Come on Robert, you're well-build then I am, and we'll be cheering you: ROBERT! all over :wave-smil and so forth :D

Hinalo:
I dive with a 7mm full suit, 7mm hooded vest with 3mm in the vest. 4mm gloves and 7mm booties. This keeps me comfortable in water as cold as 46 degrees.

I have a 7mm farmer john with bibbed hood that I do think is a little warmer, but not worth it to me to carry so much extra weight.

46 degrees, 46 degrees???? There would have to be a gun involved.

BTW, the poll didn't include my 1 mil microprene for water 80 degrees or above.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom