Wetsuit at COZ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, guys. I will get 3 mm long suit and wife will get a shorty. She is better looking one anyway!

My first dives in Coz were this past Feb. Wife and I brought 5 mil suits, not knowing what exactly to expect. We ended up buying 3 mil suits after our first day of diving. Didn't need 5 mils and certainly didn't need the extra weights. We'll be back Jan. 25th and will bring the full threes. I agree with the advise to bring something to put on during your SI to keep warm. I was actually much warmer in the water.

I have 6.5 MM semi-dry for SCAL. 3 dive a day is fine but #4 is tough. I have 100HP steel tank at home but won't carry it to COZ. I hope the dive shop I use will have steel tank. I will use "Pepe Scuba" at COZ. I worte an email to them with a few questions. So far, no response from them yet. Maybe I shall use other shop. Since, I will use my own gear, wetsuit, etc., where will I rinse them? I hope the dive shop will allow me to use their tank. I will stay at COZ for 8 days. I plan to dive for 4 days, 2 tank a day, plus one night dive.

Many thanks for all the response

Are you saying accidents and shorties has a connection? Id love to know more about that, but this is not the right thread..
Simply leaves skin exposed for possible scrapes on the ladder or a brush against a swim thru.
What's the connection? How many accident reports start out with "I had bacon and eggs for breakfast"? ;^)

I have been diving Cozumel in a shorty for 15+ years with no wetsuit related mishaps.
Of course not, Gordon - you're an experienced diver. I have no knowledge of the experience level of the OP. I have seen too many times and read many threads in the medical forums from divers who scraped their arms or legs wearing a shorty and wanted to know why it still hurt weeks later. I suppose I am being an alarmist here :)lol2: I know, nothing new there), but it is even possible to acquire a very serious infection that way.

Shorties are slightly cheaper to buy, as well as easier to fit and easier to don, but if one is going to buy a new suit, I'll still suggest a long jumpsuit always. If you already own one, the shorty can be worn over a long jumpsuit skin for good protection, but I'll wear my long over the skin just to help it slide on easier.

Full 3mm suit, take a cap if you have it. Have a warm jacket or polar fleece pullover to put on when you get out of the water. We will be there Jan. 12-19 so we can all get together and see first hand how it works out !

Can only speak of my experience. Last Jan. I did 25 dives in Coz and never wore the 3 mil I brought with me. I wore a skin the entire time. I was a little chilled on 3rd dives a couple of times, but not in a major way. I did where a beanie about half way through the trip, but that was just to keep my hair back; but it might have held in some of that dome-based heat loss.

Dave

Can only speak of my experience. Last Jan. I did 25 dives in Coz and never wore the 3 mil I brought with me. I wore a skin the entire time. I was a little chilled on 3rd dives a couple of times, but not in a major way. I did where a beanie about half way through the trip, but that was just to keep my hair back; but it might have held in some of that dome-based heat loss.

Dave
Yeah the beanie does help. When I was there in January, I tried my 1 mil for a couple of days, carrying my beanie in my pocket and donning it when I got chilled during a dive, and it helped instantly. The chill was getting worse tho, so I finally wore my 3 mil and it was so much better.

Again this will vary with each diver, but take more than you expect. I hope to use just my 1 or 3 in Exuma waters in a few weeks, but I make take my 5 just in case. I'd rather wear it than a 3 + vest. :wink:

I wore my 3 mil suit with a 2 mil hooded vest in Coz. I was warm enough in the water (a little cool at the end of long -- 70 minute -- dives) but shivered badly on the boat once I got out of the water. I would wear my 5 mil suit if I were to go back.

I wore my 3 mil suit with a 2 mil hooded vest in Coz. I was warm enough in the water (a little cool at the end of long -- 70 minute -- dives) but shivered badly on the boat once I got out of the water. I would wear my 5 mil suit if I were to go back.

FWIW, if the air is cool and dry, getting my upper body out of the wetsuit is the first thing I want to do when I get out of the water if I don't have a windbreaker. Evaporation from the suit will chill you in a hurry, and a thicker wetsuit won't help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom