Surfing Wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kryssa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any reason not to buy a surfing 3 mm wetsuit for a dive trip?

I’m having trouble finding a decent selection in 3 mm wetsuits in Northern California and someone suggested that I go to Santa Cruz, where they say I can find a half dozen surf shops with 3 mm suits I can try on.

I’m a curvy size 12-14 and I’m wondering if there is a reason these suits wouldn’t be suitable for diving. It’s the Palau Aggressor so 4-5 dives a day. I need something that will keep me warm.

Thank you!

Any reason not to buy a surfing 3 mm wetsuit for a dive trip?

I’m having trouble finding a decent selection in 3 mm wetsuits in Northern California and someone suggested that I go to Santa Cruz, where they say I can find a half dozen surf shops with 3 mm suits I can try on.

I’m a curvy size 12-14 and I’m wondering if there is a reason these suits wouldn’t be suitable for diving. It’s the Palau Aggressor so 4-5 dives a day. I need something that will keep me warm.

Thank you!
I have a buddy who uses a surf wetsuit, but a 5 mm. He used it last year in Bonaire and it worked well for him.
I have read that surf wetsuits don’t always hold up to compression as well, since the suit is made to be used in a more active sport so it’s a bit more stretchy and not quite as dense. Don’t know how true that is. However, if it is true, you may want to consider a 5 mm for that amount of diving.
Another option might be a 2 piece free diving wetsuit. You should have a few options for those around you. There are a couple of good threads about the differences between the two. Just a thought.

Have a great trip!

Erik

Surf suits work just fine for scuba in warm water.

I’m not sure 3mm will be enough in Palau. I wore 5mm when I was there on the Aggressor, but I am a wimp when it comes to cold.

I’d consult a Palau seasonal water temperature chart and/or a Palau expert.

I came to diving through surfing and I'd say that the suits are designed for different things. Surfing wetsuits typically have thinner neo under the armpits and on side panels for flexibility that aren't needed for diving, and being submerged is different for a number of reasons. I'd buy a dive suit.

I've use both styles over the years and both work fine IMO. I started out using surf wetsuits and now lean towards dive wetsuits.

Generally speaking, surfing wetsuits tend to more comfortable, flexible, lower cost, and a bit easier to don & doff vs dive wetsuits. Compared to dive wetsuits they will require a bit more lead for the first few dives, until the neoprene gets compressed a bit. From there surf wetsuits take a set from compression fairly quickly, so after 50+ dives a 5/4 surf wetsuit is more like a 3 mil.

A dive wetsuit will stay closer to its original thickness over time and probably last longer before starting to fall apart. Trade off is higher price and usually giving up a bit of flexibility and comfort although that point will vary considerably depending on the style & brand.

If you can find a dive wetsuit with comfortable fit and easy to don/doff it is a worthwhile investment. But nothing wrong with buying a surf wetsuit if the fit and price is right. I get cold easily and would defiantly go with a 5/4 over 3 mil on the surf wetsuit for multiple dives a day in the tropics.

You might consider a MAKO Women's freedive suit. This suit will be much warmer than a 3 mm surf suit. Sounds like our large suit would fit you well. We accept returns if the suit is not comfortable or you are not happy with the fit.

thanks!
dano

A dive wetsuit will stay closer to its original thickness over time and probably last longer before starting to fall apart. Trade off is higher price and usually giving up a bit of flexibility and comfort although that point will vary considerably depending on the style & brand.

Surf wetsuits are awful now for durability, 1 year is max for a surfer that does a decent amount of days in the water, whilst flexibility is great quality has really taken a step back over the last few years

Surf wetsuits are awful now for durability, 1 year is max for a surfer that does a decent amount of days in the water, whilst flexibility is great quality has really taken a step back over the last few years
Good information, it has been 10 years or so since I last purchased a surf wetsuit for scuba use. Back then I would get a couple hundred dives out of an O'Neill or Body Glove before the wear spot holes got bad enough to need a new suit.
I eventually switched over to Bare and Scubapro wetsuits, but still miss how easy it was to get in and out of the surf wetsuits.

My daily diver is an O'neill 3/2 and it has been great. Use it down to mid 50s water temps.

I remember doing my cave diving training many moons ago here in Florida during a cold snap wearing an O'Neill 6/4/3 winter surfing suit with the little visor on the hood. You wouldn't think you could freeze in 68 degree water, but it happened!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom